Action Figure MAFEX Comic Book Line

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is kind of sad that companies like Mafex, Figuarts, etc. are just blowing Hot Toys out of the water in new reveals. We actually get innovative, new characters from these smaller lines while Hot Toys sitting there with hot trash like Doctor Strange rofl.
I imagine their development costs are lower, so they take more risks.

It is kind of sad that companies like Mafex, Figuarts, etc. are just blowing Hot Toys out of the water in new reveals. We actually get innovative, new characters from these smaller lines while Hot Toys sitting there with hot trash like Doctor Strange rofl.
To each his own, my friend. I used to collect HT, and I still think they are out of this woprld amazing, but I love the comic books waaaay better than the films, so I switched. Some people HATE Mafex, say they break when you look at them. Maex is a different beast from ML. You need to handle with care. Like caresseing a lover.

To each his own, my friend. I used to collect HT, and I still think they are out of this woprld amazing, but I love the comic books waaaay better than the films, so I switched. Some people HATE Mafex, say they break when you look at them. Maex is a different beast from ML. You need to handle with care. Like caresseing a lover.
MAFEX have improved over the years but they'll never be as durable as some of the other lines -- not even close to mass market stuff. As for the analogy ... weeelll I suppose that depends on the lover. :ROFLMAO:

MAFEX, Figuarts, Revoltech, Mezco, I don't even know what's what anymore. I just wanted to buy some cool looking 6" figs to have and fiddle with without fearing that they're get damaged like the 1/6th stuff, but I don't even know where to start. Those are fragile, these have cheap materials, the others don't have much articulation, and so on. I've been thinking of making an X-Men display in their comic costumes, in case the MCU drops the ball, but I don't even know where to start. These things cost like 80 bucks, they're not exactly cheap enough to experiment with, or to get into a line and buy figures you don't want just to complete the set, then see the line remain incomplete.

It's been years since I bought any, but from what I recall:

MAFEX -- in spite of improvements in build quality, on the fragile side.
SHF -- pretty durable, smaller than other figures in this scale, wrist pegs can break.
Revoltech -- highly stylized, sometimes not great for neutral posing. Durability is medium.
MEZCO -- can't stop adding their own unnecessary flair, paint on headscupts seems to be hit or miss for depth and detail. Bodily proportions can be odd. Some releases are more fragile than others.

I'm not sure that any of these companies really complete lines, although I've seen MAFEX doing more with the comic stuff the last couple of years.

It's been years since I bought any, but from what I recall:

MAFEX -- in spite of improvements in build quality, on the fragile side.
SHF -- pretty durable, smaller than other figures in this scale, wrist pegs can break.
Revoltech -- highly stylized, sometimes not great for neutral posing. Durability is medium.
MEZCO -- can't stop adding their own unnecessary flair, paint on headscupts seems to be hit or miss for depth and detail. Bodily proportions can be odd. Some releases are more fragile than others.

I'm not sure that any of these companies really complete lines, although I've seen MAFEX doing more with the comic stuff the last couple of years.
Well shoot, none of this sounds enticing, at near 100 bucks a pop. Guess I'll just stick to getting my Top 5 or so across the board and not go deeper. Thanks for the breakdown!

Well shoot, none of this sounds enticing, at near 100 bucks a pop. Guess I'll just stick to getting my Top 5 or so across the board and not go deeper. Thanks for the breakdown!

Like I said, things may have changed but I imagine not that much. If I had to choose I'd stick with SHF just because their sculpts have generally been pretty good (but no comic iterations), but for the price ... it just got to be a turn-off. I jettisoned all of my 1/12 scale figures years ago.

Like I said, things may have changed but I imagine not that much. If I had to choose I'd stick with SHF just because their sculpts have generally been pretty good (but no comic iterations), but for the price ... it just got to be a turn-off. I jettisoned all of my 1/12 scale figures years ago.
The comic part is the thing I'm most interested in. I want some random things like that Figma Samus and the such, but I'm worried about getting too deep into it. I don't want to start buying the same things in two scales, and across multiple lines. It's just that 1/6th's heavily dependent on the movies, so things like comic-accurate costumes, or videogame characters are hard to come by. I'll still have to surpress it, keep my Top 5 rule. The prices are just insane at this point.

The comic part is the thing I'm most interested in. I want some random things like that Figma Samus and the such, but I'm worried about getting too deep into it. I don't want to start buying the same things in two scales, and across multiple lines. It's just that 1/6th's heavily dependent on the movies, so things like comic-accurate costumes, or videogame characters are hard to come by. I'll still have to surpress it, keep my Top 5 rule. The prices are just insane at this point.
Why not buy Marvel Legends. They are not SUPER poseable and the quality is not the same as say MAFEX, but they are sturdy, cheap and ther's a LOT to choose from. I find MAFEX and STORM and all the others are really good. Yeah, you cannot throw them into a wall, but the are so much fun to pose, with patience you can get them in pretty much any pose you want. You need to use common sence and you'll be fine.
MAFEX is doing a great comic book line, with both Marvel and DC, exactly what I am looking for. They have a bad rep and I remember, from all the botching and moaning online, to expect my first figure to just come apart straight out of the box. It didn't. Yeah, sometiumes a arm will come out of the socket, but you just pop it back in.
If you want study almost unbreabkle figures, Marvel Legends is the way to go. If you want highly articulated, comic accurate figures, MAFEX is the way to go. Lots of choice. I mix 'em.

Why not buy Marvel Legends. They are not SUPER poseable and the quality is not the same as say MAFEX, but they are sturdy, cheap and ther's a LOT to choose from. I find MAFEX and STORM and all the others are really good. Yeah, you cannot throw them into a wall, but the are so much fun to pose, with patience you can get them in pretty much any pose you want. You need to use common sence and you'll be fine.
MAFEX is doing a great comic book line, with both Marvel and DC, exactly what I am looking for. They have a bad rep and I remember, from all the botching and moaning online, to expect my first figure to just come apart straight out of the box. It didn't. Yeah, sometiumes a arm will come out of the socket, but you just pop it back in.
If you want study almost unbreabkle figures, Marvel Legends is the way to go. If you want highly articulated, comic accurate figures, MAFEX is the way to go. Lots of choice. I mix 'em.
Legends is too much of a moneysink. The fact that the figures are relatively cheap can lead you down the rabbithole. And I'm mostly looking for some complimentary pieces of comic book versions to have as purely toyetic representations, alongside my main 1/6th collection. As of now, Mafex seems the more attractive choice. But I'll likely pass on them entirely, apart from getting the Dooms or something random. I'm scared that I'll get suckered in and have to juggle two scales.

Thanks for the tips though, I appreciate it!

Legends is too much of a moneysink. The fact that the figures are relatively cheap can lead you down the rabbithole. And I'm mostly looking for some complimentary pieces of comic book versions to have as purely toyetic representations, alongside my main 1/6th collection. As of now, Mafex seems the more attractive choice. But I'll likely pass on them entirely, apart from getting the Dooms or something random. I'm scared that I'll get suckered in and have to juggle two scales.

Thanks for the tips though, I appreciate it!
I can recommend Mafex and Figuarts which I used to collect until I switched to 1/6 scale. Figuarts don't make comic figures, but the Mafex comic Spidey is amazing, the Hush Batman and Superman are great, and Venom is excellent although a little short. Mezco's Shazam is my favourite 1/12 figure of all time and the Iron Man is fantastic.

I can recommend Mafex and Figuarts which I used to collect until I switched to 1/6 scale. Figuarts don't make comic figures, but the Mafex comic Spidey is amazing, the Hush Batman and Superman are great, and Venom is excellent although a little short. Mezco's Shazam is my favourite 1/12 figure of all time and the Iron Man is fantastic.
They do pull off the comic book aesthetic pretty good, I have to admit. I guess I'll have to wait and see. I'm close to biting the bullet on the Homelander, so I'll see how the quality is before commiting for the comic stuff.

Last edited:
I'm pretty all in on Mafex and Mezco figures now. Yeah there might be some tiny parts that you need to be careful about, but I have no qualms about them falling apart or anything crazy like Mafex used to. If you're a careful collector you shouldn't have any problems with either line.

I really wanted a Jim Lee X-Men on display so went with ML but sold them off and went with Mafex instead. I think Mafex looks and displays better than ML and have more variety of options and accessories.

I did buy the ML Haslab Sentinel though and will use the Mafex in a display with him.

Not to sound selfish but I wish Mafex will release next decade ;), any or all versions of War Machine. Has Mafex only released 3 versions of the movie Iron Man figures? :unsure:

medmafex-165_2.jpg
medmafex-165_15.jpg
medmafex-165_5.jpg
medmafex-165_7.jpg
medmafex-165_14.jpg

Mafex doing a better job at a classic Iron Man than Hot Toys. Might get that if they do a Classic Cap and Thor.

It's definitely overpriced though. $150 for a $6 simple figure like that is hard to swallow.

Back