Lord of the Rings, Rings of Power: Potential Figures Discussion

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Weeeeeellll....I'd sooner get a new Thranduil or Dain or Dwalin vs. anything I've seen so far, except for the black elf whose armor I think is kind've cool (tho IMO you'd have to work hard to beat Thranduil's armor) and the bluegreen dress Galadriel is wearing on the beach looks beautiful. I'd probably rewig the elf so he has LONG HAIR.

IMO kind've early yet until folks know if they are gonna take to the characters, aside from the flaming outrage, some of the comments I read it's clear the writers did, in fact, do some research; where some of the commenters clearly didn't. Like sneering over a Balrog when there were balrogs left after the War of Wrath, so concievably they might appear in the Second Age.

But will see.

I can already see myself getting this version of Gil-Galad, great costume, the actor looks the part and Aeglos looks amazing.

The-Lord-of-the-Rings-Rings-of-Power-Gil-galad-in-warrior-attire.jpg.jpg

Weeeeeellll....I'd sooner get a new Thranduil or Dain or Dwalin vs. anything I've seen so far, except for the black elf whose armor I think is kind've cool (tho IMO you'd have to work hard to beat Thranduil's armor) and the bluegreen dress Galadriel is wearing on the beach looks beautiful. I'd probably rewig the elf so he has LONG HAIR.

IMO kind've early yet until folks know if they are gonna take to the characters, aside from the flaming outrage, some of the comments I read it's clear the writers did, in fact, do some research; where some of the commenters clearly didn't. Like sneering over a Balrog when there were balrogs left after the War of Wrath, so concievably they might appear in the Second Age.

But will see.
Balrogs were not mentioned until the Third age 1980 when Durin's Bane woke up in Moria.

Balrogs were not mentioned until the Third age 1980 when Durin's Bane woke up in Moria.

Yeah, they are obviously doing some weird things with time in this series as they have already cast and shown images of Ar-pharazon, who by calculations is at least an entire 14 kings earlier than he should be (and keeping in mind how long Numenoreans live) for the War of Elves and Sauron, which hasn't happened yet in the series....
So yes, it appears that the show is compressing periods of time in the hundreds, or even thousands of years into a much shorter timefrime, possibly even a single Numenorean lifetime (unless the editing and promotion has been deceitful and Ar-Pharazon & Tar-Miriel are from nearer the end of the first series and thousands of years pass in the first season of the show, with the aftermath of the War of Wrath, Forging of the Rings & War of Elves and Sauron happening earlier in the show - but it seems unlikely given the dialogue in the trailers so far)

But, after the War of Wrath a few, at least, fled into the deep places of the world.

For myself, I'm more tolerant of the writers "filling in gaps" if I think it's reasonable. So, if there was more than one balrog that survived, then they existed in the Second Age, whether they are specifically mentioned or not.

Same reason (depending on how it's presented) I'm tolerant of this black elf, so far, unless she's just dropped in as a Longbeard who doesn't look or dress like the heavily layered, bearded and jeweled Longbeards.

What makes me uneasy is - did the writers bother to come up with reasonable explanations for differences the reading audience was well aware of? For instance, in the Hobbit movies Gandalf says he quite forgot the names of the two blue wizards. PJ couldn't use the names, because of the licensing issue. But it's not as tho their existence is ignored.

If the writers didn't put enough thought into this - like, where is this balrog - well, enough of that, and I'll get thrown right out of the series. It's the difference in watching something like fluffy candy, vs becoming immersed.

Yeah, they are obviously doing some weird things with time in this series as they have already cast and shown images of Ar-pharazon, who by calculations is at least an entire 14 kings earlier than he should be (and keeping in mind how long Numenoreans live) for the War of Elves and Sauron, which hasn't happened yet in the series....
So yes, it appears that the show is compressing periods of time in the hundreds, or even thousands of years into a much shorter timefrime, possibly even a single Numenorean lifetime (unless the editing and promotion has been deceitful and Ar-Pharazon & Tar-Miriel are from nearer the end of the first series and thousands of years pass in the first season of the show, with the aftermath of the War of Wrath, Forging of the Rings & War of Elves and Sauron happening earlier in the show - but it seems unlikely given the dialogue in the trailers so far)

Another thing to be uneasy about, although it's a reasonable approach to dealing with distilling dense material that spans hundreds of years. Not sure how I feel about that. It's inaccurate, obviously. Then again, this is the first time some of these characters will be put on screen, which I think is (probably) better than not at all.

I'm legitimately going into this show with an open mind, but with good House of the Dragon was last night, this show can't afford to have any nonsense that pushes people away. I say this because I haven't been overly keen on the designs I've seen so far, but the one that keeps catching my eye is how good Galadriel looks.

I am very hopeful Asmus will revisit their Galadriel sculpt at some point, the rest of the figure is nice. But if they don't I would pick up this version of Galadriel. I like the look.

Really hope the show doesn't disappoint. If House of the Dragon continues to set up nicely, it won't be hard to turn this off if it fails to launch well.

I just got back from the fan screening. For the record I was very skeptical. I had extremely low expectations going in and I couldn’t stand or make it through Amazon’s attempt at the Wheel of Time. All that said. . . I really enjoyed it. It felt like Middle Earth to me and while I do have some nitpicks that bothered me there was nothing too major that I had issues with. I am really looking forward to the third episode. Also if you have kids and you felt comfortable with them seeing LOTR then you probably won’t have any issues with them seeing the first two episodes.

I just got back from the fan screening. For the record I was very skeptical. I had extremely low expectations going in and I couldn’t stand or make it through Amazon’s attempt at the Wheel of Time. All that said. . . I really enjoyed it. It felt like Middle Earth to me and while I do have some nitpicks that bothered me there was nothing too major that I had issues with. I am really looking forward to the third episode. Also if you have kids and you felt comfortable with them seeing LOTR then you probably won’t have any issues with them seeing the first two episodes.
what figures would you want made just from the first 2 eps Doug?
cheers also for the non spoiler review.

Back