Kaustic Plastik Twin Peaks

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
$705
IMG_1457.jpeg
IMG_1458.jpeg

Already started a little bit of customization, albeit on a VERY small scale. I've removed Cooper's FBI pin—inaccurate for the original series, he only wore that in The Return—and replaced it with a slightly smaller Soka Gakkai design, accurate to the pin he wore in the first two seasons:

Screenshot 2023-07-21 at 4.09.18 PM.png

tpPtB14.jpg

I got my Agent Cooper a few days and I must say it really is that BAD! The sculpt is excellent, in my opinion, but the paint is just shamefully terrible and puts us back about 15 years or more in terms of quality. I had forgotten how poor paint jobs could be, but this came back to remind me. The last time I saw a paint job so poor was on some Big Chief Bond figures, specifically the Solitaire figure from a few years back. It is that Sideshow quality from the past that we're looking at here today. Pretty baffling and inexcusable considering no one in high-end 1:6 is painting sculpts like this, not even the tiny third party companies.

I'm actually not that picky, tend to be forgiving, and can let a lot of things go, but this one is really quite inescapably cheap looking. Any nuances, like shades of red around the eyes cheeks look like bad make-up application. The flesh is a semi-gloss so it looks oily and reflects a lot of light in normal situations. Very plastic-like in appearance. The only time it feels slightly better is under overcast or dim lighting, but no collector should have to go through the trouble of disguising the flaws of a figure with a lot of smoke and mirrors.

To make it worse, this isn't even something that a repaint or customizing can fix because the paint application is like a think mop of uniform flesh tone that erases any and all the details that might be hidden underneath in the sculpt. I don't know how this could be salvageable and I don't know how I feel about this figure overall.

I think Kaustic/Infinite are great for being all about "collectors-making-figures-for-collectors" with a higher level of quality and tackling the niche licenses that no one else touches. A few of years ago I chose to buy into that brand concept and the promise of the licences they were handling by jumping on a couple of their (past) releases, like Clouseau and Dracula, and by preordering four more, such as Nosferatu the Hammer Horror Set and Fonzie. I don't think they'll mess up any future releases so badly, but this Agent Cooper fumble is something they need address in order to move forward in good faith.

Last edited:
I'm okay with it, I want it to be better and I'd be more upset if I didn't use a bunch of rewards points. I need a replacement thought since there is chipped/rubbed off paint in the hair and some grey splotches on the shoes. But I still really want him in my collection. If someone comes up with a better headsculpt for a reasonable price I'm in for it.
PXL_20230725_223159337.jpg

I'm okay with it, I want it to be better and I'd be more upset if I didn't use a bunch of rewards points. I need a replacement thought since there is chipped/rubbed off paint in the hair and some grey splotches on the shoes. But I still really want him in my collection. If someone comes up with a better headsculpt for a reasonable price I'm in for it.
View attachment 651870
One more thing that bothers me is that he looks older than the first two seasons.
I would love a decent painted sculpt by somebody like E1e1en.
I still have a feel of older Cooper from this sculpt:
twin-peaks-part-11-dale-cooper.jpg

They should have aimed at this look:
0edaa3302347bde1df53a95e9d0803c5.jpg

And I think Kubisi didn't get there too, but the sculpt has more details.
280413-A08E19CB-15A6-4C14-8D81-3F915CBE7D6B.jpeg

280414-0611224A-BABF-45D2-8A7A-49BD6CC4B0B9.jpeg

View attachment 651870
Hmmmm…yeah the paint is worse than i initially thought.
Neck down is great though, love the base and pose.

Made another small tweak to the figure—it's always been a pet peeve of mine when the Black Lodge floor is depicted as a black and white pattern rather than the correct brown and tan, so I updated the floor of my base:

Screenshot 2023-07-26 at 11.57.36 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-07-26 at 11.59.30 PM.png

One more thing that bothers me is that he looks older than the first two seasons.
I would love a decent painted sculpt by somebody like E1e1en.
I still have a feel of older Cooper from this sculpt:
twin-peaks-part-11-dale-cooper.jpg

They should have aimed at this look:
0edaa3302347bde1df53a95e9d0803c5.jpg

And I think Kubisi didn't get there too, but the sculpt has more details.
280413-A08E19CB-15A6-4C14-8D81-3F915CBE7D6B.jpeg

280414-0611224A-BABF-45D2-8A7A-49BD6CC4B0B9.jpeg

For this one and another one that is currently WIP: I tried to get as much likeness as I could out of the sculptors but I do think it misses the mark I actually prefer this one to the other one that is shaping up now (with a pretty well known traditional sculptor) to be honest. After repainting the Inigo Kaustic (which I will share on my instagram soon), it has its merit, but I believe overall is too squat and of course all the details were lost in production.

My last remaining hope is the one I worked on with the same sculptor who did my older The Return version which is being printed now. To be honest I'm not sure how close it will be to hitting the mark, but I'm optimistic. It will take me painting it to be sure. and from there I will ask the sculptor to revise the sculpt and do edits if need be. I really want to put this character to rest as it's been years and I'm not fully happy with anything.

For this one and another one that is currently WIP: I tried to get as much likeness as I could out of the sculptors but I do think it misses the mark I actually prefer this one to the other one that is shaping up now (with a pretty well known traditional sculptor) to be honest. After repainting the Inigo Kaustic (which I will share on my instagram soon), it has its merit, but I believe overall is too squat and of course all the details were lost in production.

My last remaining hope is the one I worked on with the same sculptor who did my older The Return version which is being printed now. To be honest I'm not sure how close it will be to hitting the mark, but I'm optimistic. It will take me painting it to be sure. and from there I will ask the sculptor to revise the sculpt and do edits if need be. I really want to put this character to rest as it's been years and I'm not fully happy with anything.
Please, do share the repaint and the new sculpt here.

I was expecting to be disappointed from all this critique but I really like Coop in person. Only issues I have are that he needs more colour in his lips, he’s a little pallid. Nice strong magnets in the shoes/base. Good tailoring, detailed accessories.

Only other issue is a misspelling in the 1:1 autopsy report (“what killed her was lose of blood”) not sure if that’s the case with the original prop though.

I'm also still having a lot of fun with mine, I was hoping for a red room Laura Palmer next but seeing how Infinite is making that in statue form I guess that won't be happening lol, but I'm still grateful to have Cooper.

Has anyone posted photos of the 1:1 scale autopsy report and whatever else the online exclusive comes with?

I just recieved mine, and I'm surprised at how good it looks. It must not photograph well, because in hand, he doesn't look as rough as some of the examples here.

Personally, I'd rank it above TheeeZero's X Files figures (glad he doesn't have that weird olive complexion), but slightly below a modern Hot Toys. While he also doesn't look quite as old as the box artwork would suggest, he still looks maybe a couple years older than dew-faced Cooper in the original run.

His clothes aren't that great- his suiting isn't as tailored as Mulder for example, but I'm not sure if that's a deliberate design choice. They're serviceable, but nothing to write home about.

Something that confuses me though is Laura. The wrapping she came in looks nothing like the three section bands that you see in the publicity shots of the deluxe set. Instead, mine came wrapped in bands that look different from the photos, and are done in a sporadic pattern all over. Looking at YouTube unboxing videos, I'm seeing that the bands on everyone's reviews look like mine as well.

Is this how she is supposed to look? Was the publicity shots just an idealized version? Or are we suppose to further unwrap Laura (is she wrapped in a secondary plastic bag)? I definitely don't want to risk it if she is, but I can't help but wonder.

Great base though, and I can't help but hear the theme song just looking at the figure set.

I just recieved mine, and I'm surprised at how good it looks. It must not photograph well, because in hand, he doesn't look as rough as some of the examples here.

Personally, I'd rank it above TheeeZero's X Files figures (glad he doesn't have that weird olive complexion), but slightly below a modern Hot Toys. While he also doesn't look quite as old as the box artwork would suggest, he still looks maybe a couple years older than dew-faced Cooper in the original run.

His clothes aren't that great- his suiting isn't as tailored as Mulder for example, but I'm not sure if that's a deliberate design choice. They're serviceable, but nothing to write home about.

Something that confuses me though is Laura. The wrapping she came in looks nothing like the three section bands that you see in the publicity shots of the deluxe set. Instead, mine came wrapped in bands that look different from the photos, and are done in a sporadic pattern all over. Looking at YouTube unboxing videos, I'm seeing that the bands on everyone's reviews look like mine as well.

Is this how she is supposed to look? Was the publicity shots just an idealized version? Or are we suppose to further unwrap Laura (is she wrapped in a secondary plastic bag)? I definitely don't want to risk it if she is, but I can't help but wonder.

Great base though, and I can't help but hear the theme song just looking at the figure set.
I think the release version (of Laura) is accurate, the promo shots had the tape too neat.

https://twinpeaksblog.com/2018/04/06/setting-the-stage-laura-palmers-log/

*I don’t think Coop’s suit was slim fitting, it was at the shoulders by the rest was a bit large and long.

IMG_4509.jpeg

Last edited:
It's been a while since I've seen the original series, and wow, that's a terrible fitting suit! I agree that the suit looks too long in that shot, and if that's what Kaustic was going for, bullseye!

And thank you for clarifying about Laura, spaceghost! I'm glad that I won't have to keep wondering if I should... just... unwrap... her... just a little... :LOL:

I've never been so happy with such a sloppy figure! 😉

Back