Kaustic Plastik and Infinite Statue - John Wayne OFFICIAL 1/6 Action Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are a few things that mark this as a 'John Wayne' figure rather than a 'Rooster Cogburn', since KP/IP didn't have the license for the film.

The darker colour of the gun belt, suspenders, and Colt grips may be small indications that they had to diverge from the source.

The vest hugs the body tighter than I thought it would. It's his belly padding that eventually pushes it out at the openings. I'm not sure I like this look for him even though it shows off his U.S. Deputy Marshal badge. By the wet looking patch on the inside of the vest it' appears the badge is glued on. Would've been good if the vest and coat had used magnets to swap the badge over, even if that isn't screen accurate.

The shirt sleeves are a bit short, so the coat is a better option.

When you put the coat over the vest, it's evident why the vest was in a separate bag in the box. The combination with the belly padding, which also extends up to the chest, makes him so bulky he looks like he must be wearing a life jacket under his coat! It's really no good. You have to choose one or the other, not both.

With the coat I managed to fasten the bottom button using a DiD buttonhook, which is how he was wearing at some points, but I was still having trouble making it look right. There's a fullness at the sides which makes it stick out rather than drape, so I think it's better not to do any buttons up, but hitch the right side over his holster for access, and pull the left side down tight.

His gut doesn't help with any of this. :lol

Overall, he's not as bad as I thought he was going to be. But he's also not as good as he should've been for the cost.

KP are fond of blowing their own trumpet about how wonderful they are, but they're just not that good. I was far more impressed by Thunder Toys' Carter Slade Ghost Rider...

100_2410.JPG

The tailoring and materials on that figure were perfect. I even prefer the sculpted boots to KP/IP's.

John Wayne isn't at that level. The tailoring feels clumsy, making him awkward to get looking natural.

The trial run with the vest:

100_2518.JPG

And with the coat:

100_2522.JPG

He may look better with just the shirt, showing off his braces and gun belt.

I knew this wasn't going to be an easy figure to futz, because it didn't look particularly good to start with.

I'm very tempted to cancel their Bela Lugosi, because there won't be much room to futz the mediocre out of that one.

I showed the figure to my dad, who's a huge fan of westerns. I asked him if he recognised the actor. He said he couldn't tell, which wasn't a good start. :lol

In the right light I see a grumpy John Wayne, and the paintwork is a lot better than it looked in those reviews and photos.

I futzed with the coat, but can't shake the feeling there's too much volume at the sides, making it bulge out. I expect this was to accommodate the vest. My dad's comment was that it wasn't small enough.

So I tried the vest on him again, and the comment was, "That looks better."

I think it actually does, but you have to futz it and position the arms to tame at least one side of it.

100_2525.JPG

100_2532.JPG

He's looking better to the eye than in the photos. Photography is tough with this one for some reason. He didn't like the flash, not just his face but the clothes as well, so I resorted to non-flash.

I'm finding him very camera shy. Doesn't like the flash, and without the flash the pictures were coming out blurred.

101_2547.JPG

And with the dreaded flash:

101_2554.JPG

He's not bad overall, but feels limited. A bit clumsy, over priced and over hyped.

Cancelling KP's Bela Lugosi seems a wise move at the moment, because tailoring isn't their strong point. It wasn't with Clouseau, who's Gendarme uniform looked especially bad.

Excellent review, Asta.
He definitely looks considerably better in the non-flash photos. I particularly like the non-flash one above, as the best.

I was initially tempted by this figure, when first announced, but as more and more information was released, my excitement kept dropping. I would love to include a figure of the "Duke" in my collection but this one just won't be the one.

Excellent review, Asta.

Thanks. :)

He definitely looks considerably better in the non-flash photos. I particularly like the non-flash one above, as the best.

Don't know what it is with this one that everything about him hates the flash, or the camera full stop.

It explains why reviewers liked him more than he appeared, but not why they liked the coat and vest so much.

I was initially tempted by this figure, when first announced, but as more and more information was released, my excitement kept dropping. I would love to include a figure of the "Duke" in my collection but this one just won't be the one.

I was fooled by their Bud Spencer that KP had turned a corner. I think Bud was just bait, and now they have reviewers on board to get early production samples so they'll say nice things about them.

I like the sculpt, and most things generally work even though they're not at the level expected for the price. The coat and vest are the real issues.

After many attempts I managed to get this one of the head:

101_2575.JPG

Of more recent western figures I was more impressed by VTS' Red Dead Redemption Arthur, and even more so by LiM's Arthur. And Thunder's Carter Slade, of course.

He's down to his last cigarette because one disappeared. They're so tiny that it might even have fallen down inside his shirt while I had him off the stand changing hands.

One other problem I have with mine is that he has two identical right trigger hands for the Winchester, and no right Colt trigger hand.

So I put the Colt in the left hand that grips it slightly better. (Not easy to fit the finger through the trigger guard as well as the hands are so rigid).

101_2585.JPG

101_2595.JPG

There are a few things that mark this as a 'John Wayne' figure rather than a 'Rooster Cogburn', since KP/IP didn't have the license for the film.

The darker colour of the gun belt, suspenders, and Colt grips may be small indications that they had to diverge from the source.

The vest hugs the body tighter than I thought it would. It's his belly padding that eventually pushes it out at the openings. I'm not sure I like this look for him even though it shows off his U.S. Deputy Marshal badge. By the wet looking patch on the inside of the vest it' appears the badge is glued on. Would've been good if the vest and coat had used magnets to swap the badge over, even if that isn't screen accurate.

The shirt sleeves are a bit short, so the coat is a better option.

When you put the coat over the vest, it's evident why the vest was in a separate bag in the box. The combination with the belly padding, which also extends up to the chest, makes him so bulky he looks like he must be wearing a life jacket under his coat! It's really no good. You have to choose one or the other, not both.

With the coat I managed to fasten the bottom button using a DiD buttonhook, which is how he was wearing at some points, but I was still having trouble making it look right. There's a fullness at the sides which makes it stick out rather than drape, so I think it's better not to do any buttons up, but hitch the right side over his holster for access, and pull the left side down tight.

His gut doesn't help with any of this. :lol

Overall, he's not as bad as I thought he was going to be. But he's also not as good as he should've been for the cost.

KP are fond of blowing their own trumpet about how wonderful they are, but they're just not that good. I was far more impressed by Thunder Toys' Carter Slade Ghost Rider...

View attachment 582372

The tailoring and materials on that figure were perfect. I even prefer the sculpted boots to KP/IP's.

John Wayne isn't at that level. The tailoring feels clumsy, making him awkward to get looking natural.

The trial run with the vest:

View attachment 582374

And with the coat:

View attachment 582375

He may look better with just the shirt, showing off his braces and gun belt.

I knew this wasn't going to be an easy figure to futz, because it didn't look particularly good to start with.

I'm very tempted to cancel their Bela Lugosi, because there won't be much room to futz the mediocre out of that one.
I've got this coming along with the Lugosi. I ordered these on the basis of their Clouseau which I love ( to be fair I have him in the trench coat as that's my favorite look for him ) To me it looks like the vest might be the main issue with Wayne. I do wish they did him from Big Jake or the Searchers as the eye patch look isn't my preference.

Huge JW fan, but here I mostly see my late grandma. Longing for a Rio Bravo JW Lim figure. One can hope!

Thought I was the only one who saw a wrinkled old lady when I looked at this figure’s head sculpt…also didn’t realize that John Wayne still had any living fans…imagined anyone still above ground would have moved on to Clint Eastwood.

Thought I was the only one who saw a wrinkled old lady when I looked at this figure’s head sculpt…also didn’t realize that John Wayne still had any living fans…imagined anyone still above ground would have moved on to Clint Eastwood.
My kids think that about a lot of my interests. :LOL:

Well, I'm into cinema, so that ranges from 1895 to 2022 😛 And JW is a huge part of my life, as leftist as I am. Love Eastwood too of course. Not much into franchised stuff, I'm more keen to buy a Keaton, Bob Mitchum or Bogey figure than any Star Wars or Marvel stuff. So I'm on a lonely planet 😅

Well, I'm into cinema, so that ranges from 1895 to 2022 😛 And JW is a huge part of my life, as leftist as I am. Love Eastwood too of course. Not much into franchised stuff, I'm more keen to buy a Keaton, Bob Mitchum or Bogey figure than any Star Wars or Marvel stuff. So I'm on a lonely planet 😅
Well expressed.

Just paid my invoice on this guy from Infinite Studios. I'm personally not a huge western/Wayne fan, but this piece is going into the collection in honor of my late Grandfather. As John Wayne was his favorite actor. Also helps that its from True Grit and Wayne winning best actor for this role.

Looking forward to checking him out in hand. Curious how fast shipping will be from Italy to Midwest US. Might be a bit of a wait yet 😆

It doesn't look bad but they used the only movie where Wayne overact, and they tried to capture that. The man was more subtle than that and rarely an oscar has been less deserved... I'd like something more faithfull to the actor he was.

😲😲Just paid my invoice on this guy from Infinite Studios. I'm personally not a huge western/Wayne fan, but this piece is going into the collection in honor of my late Grandfather. As John Wayne was his favorite actor. Also helps that its from True Grit and Wayne winning best actor for this role.

Looking forward to checking him out in hand. Curious how fast shipping will be from Italy to Midwest US. Might be a bit of a wait yet 😆
I paid my invoice on Thursday too. I have a delivery notice for Monday. NE US.

Back