Katsuhiro Otomo appreciation thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah.

Sorry, I don't have the Kodansha softcover edition in English. I always thought it was essentially identical to the Dark Horse softcovers, but with the publishers' names switched.

The next volume in Otomo Complete is gonna be cool...AKIRA Layouts and Key Frames. It's gonna be a flip book.

Otomo posted this on twitter; the instructions for how to "read" the book. It's clearly been hand drawn by Otomo himself.

layout instructions.jpg

A new Otomo piece!! The cover of a magazine about Tokyo. Anyone recognize the iconic Tokyo landmarks here?

Tokyo 2023 (1).jpg

As part of a tribute to Kim Jung Gi, Otomo decorated this pair of Adidas shoes. They're part of an exhibit going on in Korea now.

Otomo Shoe Design (1).jpg
Otomo Shoe Design (4).jpg
Otomo Shoe Design (9).jpg

So glad I saw this thread because I’ve always been curious about your profile picture. For the longest time I thought it was an orange frog with square yellow eyes in a black top hat. :lol

Such a unique style, though. No matter the angle, the man knows exactly how to convey everything big and small from expression and scale.

Got any of his Roujin Z mechanical designs?

I know you requested this several years ago, but better late than never, no?

I was just flipping through Otomo's artbook "Kaba 2" and when I saw the section for Roujin Z, I remembered your post. So here it is...all of the mechanical drawings from the movie that Otomo did!

Roujin Z (1).jpg
Roujin Z (2).jpg
Roujin Z (3).jpg
Roujin Z (4).jpg
Roujin Z (5).jpg
Roujin Z (6).jpg
Roujin Z (7).jpg
Roujin Z (8).jpg
Roujin Z (9).jpg
Roujin Z (10).jpg

Crap. Just noticed that Plastic Bateman hasn't been seen since 2019. Hope he's OK. Wish I'd posted this sooner.

Last edited:
Back