Katsuhiro Otomo appreciation thread

Help Support Collector Freaks:

Otomofan

Super Freak
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reaction score
Yeah I've tried so many times to like Steamboy but I just can't.

The one thing I do like is the storyboards book...all hand drawn by Otomo. You can never go wrong with that.

This weekend a theater in Tokyo is showing "Neo Tokyo" ("Manie Manie in Japan but titled "Neo Tokyo" in the US to cash in on AKIRA)....it was a 60 minute animated movie with three segments. All three segments are really good. Otomo's segment is his first animation work, predating AKIRA.

The main reason I'm going is cause THE MAN himself is gonna be there, giving a talk about the movie afterwards! It's always awesome to be lucky enough to be in the presence of genius but I get so bummed out that I've been in the same room with the guy several times now, but he simply does NOT sign stuff. I'm even daydreaming of having him sign my arm and I'd get it tattooed, but I already know I won't get the chance.

spindrift

Super Freak
Rating - 100%
146   0   1
Reaction score
Yeah I've tried so many times to like Steamboy but I just can't.

The one thing I do like is the storyboards book...all hand drawn by Otomo. You can never go wrong with that.

This weekend a theater in Tokyo is showing "Neo Tokyo" ("Manie Manie in Japan but titled "Neo Tokyo" in the US to cash in on AKIRA)....it was a 60 minute animated movie with three segments. All three segments are really good. Otomo's segment is his first animation work, predating AKIRA.

The main reason I'm going is cause THE MAN himself is gonna be there, giving a talk about the movie afterwards! It's always awesome to be lucky enough to be in the presence of genius but I get so bummed out that I've been in the same room with the guy several times now, but he simply does NOT sign stuff. I'm even daydreaming of having him sign my arm and I'd get it tattooed, but I already know I won't get the chance.
Lucky man! Take pics if possible...

Otomofan

Super Freak
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reaction score
The event today was cool...lots of Otomo fans were there and we were all excited to be able to see the master himself on stage.

Unfortunately, he didn't do any signing, as usual. But it's always fun to see him in person, and I see the same obsessed fans in the audience every time. It's almost like going to see your favorite band!

(Otomo's the guy in blue...the other guy was the interviewer.)

FFQfaQIaIAYcwGH.jpg

FFQ0OHiaMAA_jMN.jpg

Solidus

Super Freak
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Reaction score
Does Otomo just refuse to sign anything, or do the event organizers block fans from approaching him?

By the way, neat thread! Last year, I picked up both the Akira 35th Anniversary Box Set, as well as "Art of Wall". I really love his art style and storytelling.

Otomofan

Super Freak
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reaction score
Usually he's protected by the organizers so that he doesn't get swarmed by over-zealous fans. This being Japan, just a stern "Sorry, stay back" is usually enough. No need for armed bodyguards or anything.

I think he doesn't like to sign stuff in general....he just has to be in the right mood. Even his peers and fellow manga artists have to beg him to sign stuff, but then sometimes he'll go all out and do a full sketch and stuff. And I've noticed he's a lot more "generous" when he's in the States. He signs posters and stuff at the rare appearances he makes in the US and it pisses me off cause that goes straight to ebay, and not to fans that would treasure it.

At an event like this weekend, he probably just didn't want to deal with the hundred or so fans that were there so it was easier to slip out the side exit.

ONCE I saw him actually stop and pose for a selfie after a talk event, but he had been drinking that night and was in a good mood, so maybe that was it. If it's a case of him just not wanting to sign stuff cause he doesn't want to exclude anyone, I can understand that. I'm gonna keep trying though.....that man's autograph is my white whale!!

The "Art of Wall" book is pretty cool...it's presented in an interesting format. I'm kind of biased cause I saw the REAL wall in person and it was so impressive, a book doesn't really do it justice, but it's still good to have in the collection.

I LOVE the 35th Boxed Set.....definitely the ideal way to read AKIRA. I haven't sat down with it since it came out...maybe I'll take some time over winter break and really savor the experience again...

Solidus

Super Freak
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Reaction score
Usually he's protected by the organizers so that he doesn't get swarmed by over-zealous fans. This being Japan, just a stern "Sorry, stay back" is usually enough. No need for armed bodyguards or anything.

I think he doesn't like to sign stuff in general....he just has to be in the right mood. Even his peers and fellow manga artists have to beg him to sign stuff, but then sometimes he'll go all out and do a full sketch and stuff. And I've noticed he's a lot more "generous" when he's in the States. He signs posters and stuff at the rare appearances he makes in the US and it pisses me off cause that goes straight to ebay, and not to fans that would treasure it.

At an event like this weekend, he probably just didn't want to deal with the hundred or so fans that were there so it was easier to slip out the side exit.

ONCE I saw him actually stop and pose for a selfie after a talk event, but he had been drinking that night and was in a good mood, so maybe that was it. If it's a case of him just not wanting to sign stuff cause he doesn't want to exclude anyone, I can understand that. I'm gonna keep trying though.....that man's autograph is my white whale!!

The "Art of Wall" book is pretty cool...it's presented in an interesting format. I'm kind of biased cause I saw the REAL wall in person and it was so impressive, a book doesn't really do it justice, but it's still good to have in the collection.

I LOVE the 35th Boxed Set.....definitely the ideal way to read AKIRA. I haven't sat down with it since it came out...maybe I'll take some time over winter break and really savor the experience again...

Fairly peculiar that he signs like that, and it seems like you just have to be in the right place at the right time. If you ever have news that he'll drop by NYC, let me know, and I'll try to get something signed for you. I often attend the anime conventions and NYCC whenever I get the chance.

I can't imagine what it must have been like seeing the wall in person. There's also an English version of "Art of Wall" that's being released soon, so it's definitely cool that Akira is having so much coverage again. Mentioning the 35th Anniversary set, I was just blown away at the quality of the panels. I took a week to read through all of the books, because the art was so beautiful to look at.

Otomofan

Super Freak
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reaction score
Here is the info that's been released for the OTOMO COMPLETE project. Unfortunately, it's all in Japanese, but who knows, maybe down the road they'll print them in English.

This is what's on the schedule for 2022:

Otomo Complete Works

1: Gunshot (11/18/22)
2: Boogie Woogie Waltz (03/18/22)
3: Highway Star (05/20/22)
4: Sayonara Nippon (07/20/22)
5: Fire-Ball (09/20/22)
6:
7:
8: Domu (01/22/22 2970 yen)
9:
10:
11:
12:
13:
14:
15:
16:
17:
18:
19:
20: Animation AKIRA (with bluray) (07/20/22)
21: Animation AKIRA Storyboards 1 (01.22.22 4400 yen)
22: Animation AKIRA Storyboards 2 (03/18/22)
23:
24:
25: Scripts 1 (05/20/22)
26:
27:
28:
29:
30:
31:
32:
33:
34:
35: The Live Action Mushishi (with bluray) (09/20/22)

I know the ones with blurays are over 10,000 yen but I forget how much. Also, if this is chronological order, it's gonna go a lot more than 35 releases, cause "Mushishi" was back in 2006!!

It's gonna take yeaaaaarrrs to finish this project.

I already have almost all of this already but I'm buying it again cause I'm a sucka. But if you don't mind it in Japanese, it looks like a great way to start a comprehensive Otomo collection. It'll all be available on amazon japan.