John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum - May 17, 2019

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: John Wick: Chapter 3 - May 17, 2019

Same feeling about part 2.. But a repeat viewing did help it.

Yes knife fight and book fight were amazing.. I liked the Dog fight also..

I saw JW 2 once in theater and remember falling asleep so I have been wanting to watch it again. Luckily I bought a cool steel book with both jw1 and jw2 so I’ll definitely be giving it a second watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As a huge fan of the first two, I was quite disappointed here. They're not even trying to hide the fact that they're starting to milk this franchise.
Spoiler Spoiler:

I'll admit I was looking forward to a satisfying conclusion to the story, but I'd have settled for a substantial twist or rearranging of the game board. By providing neither, Chapter 3 just feels like a waste of time that even top-notch action can't justify. It's the same thing we got before, but with even less substance and even more ridiculousness.
Spoiler Spoiler:

Chapter 4 will be about John Wick killing more armies of men with only a hand gun. Wait a minute didn’t he do that already in part 1,2, and 3?

I have mixed feelings about this one. The action is fantastic but the story really goes nowhere and basically by the end the status quo remains the same.

While I did note some interesting symbolism regarding god, heaven, hell, the devil, and fallen angel; I can’t help but feel cheated in the sense that I did not get a satisfying conclusion to the story.

Like the saw series, Lionsgate gonna run this to the ground. They really should have just end it at 3.

This was never going to be the last film, the next will prob follow on straightaway once again. I was not looking for any meaningful character arcs or symbology, I just wanted the best action scenes of the year and this delivered

Lots of complaining about the movie from people who CLEARLY set their standards WAY too high for a beat'em up/shoot'em up movie.

This movie OBVIOUSLY wasn't a "great" movie, but it was a FUN movie! If you were looking for something that a snobby movie critic would praise, of course you're gonna be disappointed! This was definitely a movie that's meant to just watch and cheer John Wick on! LAUGH when he kills a guy in a fantastic manner, just have fun with it and don't worry about the nit-picky stuff!

(steps off soapbox)

Lots of complaining about the movie from people who CLEARLY set their standards WAY too high for a beat'em up/shoot'em up movie.

This movie OBVIOUSLY wasn't a "great" movie, but it was a FUN movie! If you were looking for something that a snobby movie critic would praise, of course you're gonna be disappointed! This was definitely a movie that's meant to just watch and cheer John Wick on! LAUGH when he kills a guy in a fantastic manner, just have fun with it and don't worry about the nit-picky stuff!

(steps off soapbox)

LOL...I don't give the Wick Flicks too much thought. I may pick at 'em a bit, but it's really about hearing everyone in the theatre go "Oooohh that's gonna leave a mark!"

Looks like we're getting Chapter 4 in only a couple of years, it's been officially confirmed.

I still think the first is the best film, mainly because it in of itself can be seen as a complete film. It doesn't NEED other movies to work or be narratively enjoyed. 2 and 3 clearly rely on what has come before and what will follow, you can't drop someone into either of those at all. And yes, that's generally the point of sequels, to expand the previous films, but these play more like movie length TV episodes, narratively.

That being said, this is a wild ride. On the same note, it's fun to see this flow straight and smoothly from chapter 2 and for fans that's just great. Nitpicking is a faux pas for these movies, but I'll say I felt like Wick takes just a little too much damage to be convincing anymore. The first one had an aura of believability to the rules they set, but the further we go in the films the more it's "waiting for the special meter to reload" as he gets pummeled. But again, nitpicking is stupid for a movie like this. It's fun, it's quite brutal at times, and very compelling. What I'm hoping is that the 4th will give him some time to recoup and heal so we get a few more JW1 club scenes where he's just a machine. Which speaking of, I definitely missed (what I consider) the quintessential club/electro scored fight sequence.

I'm interested to see if they are going to have John take on Winston next time or if he'll acknowledge that was his way of giving John a shot to get out again. Either way, war on the high table is going to be awesome.

Just saw the film. Great action movie with references to other action films, but still manages to stay original and true to the JW series.

Some of the references I noticed.

Book scene - Jason Bourne
John Wick making the gun and checking the sound - The Good the Bad and the Ugly, when Tuco makes his gun.
Horse scene - True Lies
High Table Lady goes to Suchi place - Kill Bill
Bike scene - Kill Bill maybe the raid 2?
John Wick/Winston meeting and discussion about "choice" - Matrix Reloaded
Lots of Guns- The Matrix
Setting the mood with green lighting - The Matrix films
John Wick dodging bullets under water - The Matrix / Smith bullet time in train station
Multiple level battle - Game of Death
Hall of Mirrors again - Enter the Dragon
Bad guy finger wave - Terminator 2/ T-1000

I'm sure there's a bunch of Raid references and other Asian action movie references that I don't remember or never seen.

My only criticism of the film is that John Wick doesn't seem to have any honor. Dude makes a deal with an elder, then breaks it. That's the only thing that felt a bit out of place or out of character, imo. Then again, he broke the continental rule in JW2, so maybe he is his own worst enemy.

Well....the Elder sent him to kill the guy that gave him a chance to live. I didn't believe for one second he would. They are/were pretty close. I felt the 1st half of this film was great, on par to the first 2 films, but it fell apart for me after that. The ending was so drawn out and wasn't very interesting. I agree about the damage part too. It's not really believable by the end and some of the choreography got really sloppy with the final fights. I hadn't noticed any sloppy fight scenes in the previous 2 films.

I am surprised no one seem to catch the Assassins’s Creed reference with the ring finger sacrifice. Especially after that whole speech about the Hassassin.

I am surprised no one seem to catch the Assassins’s Creed reference with the ring finger sacrifice. Especially after that whole speech about the Hassassin.

I've never play the game or seen the cut scene movies. I was wondering if that scene was a reference to another film, but I couldn't think of any movies. I know the Yakuza mafia does something similar too, but other than that, I couldn't think of anything.

I've never play the game or seen the cut scene movies. I was wondering if that scene was a reference to another film, but I couldn't think of any movies. I know the Yakuza mafia does something similar too, but other than that, I couldn't think of anything.

It is indeed a common Yakuza trope to cut a finger after some great shame or mistake but they usually start with the pinky.

The fact they specifically target the ring finger (which is an AC trope to avoid any romantic attachment) coupled with the fact that John is an Assassin makes me think that it is a deliberate reference to the popular game series.

It is indeed a common Yakuza trope to cut a finger after some great shame or mistake but they usually start with the pinky.

The fact they specifically target the ring finger (which is an AC trope to avoid any romantic attachment) coupled with the fact that John is an Assassin makes me think that it is a deliberate reference to the popular game series.

Probably. The Elder guy looked and dressed like he could be in one of those AC games too. :lol

I immediately thought of that in the theatre as well, but the friend I was with doesn't play games so I couldn't share the observation. Thanks for reminding me, I thought it was a nice touch.

So is John Wick going to go after Winston too?

It depends on how personal he takes Winston shooting him. If Wick decides that Winston had no choice then I could see him being left alone. He didn't seem to hold the $14 million bounty put out by Winston against him but being directly shot multiple times could be another matter entirely.

Back