John Wick 4 - May 21st, 2021

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
$73.5 million opening, the biggest of the series.

R-rated John Wick more than doubled Shazam's opening, lol.
I’m definitely going back this time with the wife and son.

Sure the movie might not have a tight narrative focus as your Die Hard, Road Warrior, Predator, Robocop, CTB and Aliens but what it lacks in narrative focus is more than made up for by its strong focus on energy and entertainment value.

I’ll take it.

Wor-Gar seemed excited during his screening take a look…

1679855592159.gif

I’m definitely going back this time with the wife and son.

Sure the movie might not have a tight narrative focus as your Die Hard, Road Warrior, Predator, Robocop, CTB and Aliens but what it lacks in narrative focus is more than made up for by its strong focus on energy and entertainment value.

I’ll take it.
Yep none of the four JW's provide the tight narrative perfection of the films you list above but the style, energy and choreography are still off the charts awesome especially in this day and age.

Yep none of the four JW's provide the tight narrative perfection of the films you list above but the style, energy and choreography are still off the charts awesome especially in this day and age.
Yeah sometimes that’s all you need.

Honestly short of a new massive Mad Max convoy action scene JW4 has actually made any new action movie obsolete because none will ever come close to that level of craziness in JW4.

I man sure there’s always DUNE 2

1679860190500.gif

Yeah sometimes that’s all you need.

Honestly short of a new massive Mad Max convoy action scene JW4 has actually made any new action movie obsolete because none will ever come close to that level of craziness in JW4.

I man sure there’s always DUNE 2

View attachment 630148
And when taken as a series the consistent quality from film to film absolutely destroys Die Hard, Robocop, Predator, etc., lol.

I see this on Twitter a lot, but it applies here 😄
EEDD358A-B01D-4596-B25C-5EECD56AF59A.jpeg
Such well-timed, detailed, spectacular action. The references to “The Matrix” and “The Warriors”, the mish-mash of comics and video games and all the cartoony characters. I loved it.

Just got back..

Wish I left the theater felling like some of you… Especially Jye.

My biggest issue…. Worthless / pointless villain. I mean this should have been JW vs The Table not JW vs random French dude.

Action was only OK IMO.. Well Ok for a JW movie. I thought 3 was more creative with each fight scene standing on its own as something that had its own style.

This one took some steps backwards in term of action. Just more bang bang / hide behind suit / bang bang, rinse repeat.

Story was weakest of the series. Had he taken on the Table my feeling would be much different.

Now don’t get me wrong I still liked it… it’s just that it should have been more IMO. This is the one JW I could see liking less with a repeat viewing. Hope I’m wrong. Hope it takes the JW 2 path. Was really let down by that one but fully enjoyed it the 2nd time.

Jye I’m sorry.. This is no Die Hard… you deserve 20 lashes for that comment :lol

JW - 4 out of 5
JW 2 - 3.5 out of 5
JW 3 - 4.5 out of 5
JW 4 - 3 out of 5

Seriously though all JW fans need to watch The Raid 1 and 2

I think those may have better action scenes.

JW did fall a great distance in 2 so i’m not completely bothered by it.

These movies are way too entertaining for me to approach the negatives in a destructive manner especially 4 there is just TOO MUCH PERFECTION to get worked up over the few missteps.

Watch these.

Part 1 was before Judge Dredd remake. Has fight scenes and brutal action.

Part 2 has some major imaginative action that I would say inspired JW films. The two Asian actors that combo fight JW at the end of chapter 3 are in this. One of the guys is in the first Raid film also

Attachments

• 633CC401-3A06-4B9F-924F-7BDE3ACA6380.jpeg
    633CC401-3A06-4B9F-924F-7BDE3ACA6380.jpeg
    26.2 KB · Views: 0
  • A99C239D-DB6F-4C05-A63A-3471F22A2961.jpeg
    A99C239D-DB6F-4C05-A63A-3471F22A2961.jpeg
    503.3 KB · Views: 0
Just got back..

Wish I left the theater felling like some of you… Especially Jye.

My biggest issue…. Worthless / pointless villain. I mean this should have been JW vs The Table not JW vs random French dude.

Action was only OK IMO.. Well Ok for a JW movie. I thought 3 was more creative with each fight scene standing on its own as something that had its own style.

This one took some steps backwards in term of action. Just more bang bang / hide behind suit / bang bang, rinse repeat.

Story was weakest of the series. Had he taken on the Table my feeling would be much different.

Now don’t get me wrong I still liked it… it’s just that it should have been more IMO. This is the one JW I could see liking less with a repeat viewing. Hope I’m wrong. Hope it takes the JW 2 path. Was really let down by that one but fully enjoyed it the 2nd time.

Jye I’m sorry.. This is no Die Hard… you deserve 20 lashes for that comment :lol

JW - 4 out of 5
JW 2 - 3.5 out of 5
JW 3 - 4.5 out of 5
JW 4 - 3 out of 5

Seriously though all JW fans need to watch The Raid 1 and 2

I think those may have better action scenes.
I pretty much agree with your thoughts on the JW movies, but I did like 4 slightly more and prefer 2 over 3.

Definitely agree with your recommendation for The Raid 1 & 2 - brilliant movies.

I think we'll get a 5th and 6th movie eventually, but they'll take a long brake. The last film was 4 years ago, so I can see at least 5 years go by before they go back to it. Keanu is getting up there in age too, so who knows how long he'll be able to keep making these films. If he gets too old, then maybe they shouldn't make another one. We don't need an 80-year-old JW.

Having said that, if this was the last film, I wish certain characters had been a part of this last film.

Aurelio
Common
Halle Berry
Charlie/the cleaner from JW1
Anjelica Huston
The gun guy from JW2

And what happened to the Adjudicator from JW3? She was the main villain in part 3 and very annoying. I wanted to see her get it in this film, since she kind of got away in part 3.

I've seen Raid 1 and 2. Both good but I prefer JW 4.
I’m a big fan of the Raid films.

I would say that some of the JW films are up there with those.

4 not being one of them :(

Really hope my 2nd viewing warms me to it. Just think the story will hold me back from ever loving it.

Ya know they really should have had more fun with Mr Nobody, Donnie Yen and JW having scenes together. They tried so hard to gave that Spaghetti western feel and seemed to be hinting at a Good, bad, and ugly dynamic between the three but never really delivered.

Oh well. Happy it hit for most.

I’m a big fan of the Raid films.

I would say that some of the JW films are up there with those.

4 not being one of them :(

Really hope my 2nd viewing warms me to it. Just think the story will hold me back from ever loving it.

Ya know they really should have had more fun with Mr Nobody, Donnie Yen and JW having scenes together. They tried so hard to gave that Spaghetti western feel and seemed to be hinting at a Good, bad, and ugly dynamic between the three but never really delivered.

Oh well. Happy it hit for most.
Mr. Nobody, Yen, and JW might not have had a TGTBATU payoff but they did have a very "John Wicky" payoff and I appreciate the movie remaining true to itself and not leaning too far into other films' turf. John is always fine with leaving people alive on the battlefield if he doesn't need to kill them and he isn't seeking revenge against them and we saw more of that with this trio. Him having Nobody dead to rights and instead saving the dog was cool IMO and had a satisfying payoff later on.

I also appreciate that when a seemingly prominent adversary survives it isn't just so that they can continue to milk that character (a la current Marvel and Disney SW) since those characters rarely appear in future sequels anyway. Instead they just seem to survive in order to have you coming away feeling like the JW universe is this large world containing a rich tapestry of living characters even if he murders the other 1,200, lol. An absurd world, but a living breathing absurd world and I freaking love it, lol.

Since JW4 might be the last film in the series for a while, looking back at the franchise, what would you say is John's signature look for the whole series or perhaps his most memorable/best look so far?

JW1

1679896958987.png

1679898329810.png

1679896796094.png

'
JW2

1679897345272.png

1679899282647.png

1679897595104.png

JW3

1679898795367.png

1679897885386.png

1679898722213.png

JW4

1679898188443.png

1679898573053.png

Attachments

• 1679897764800.png
    1679897764800.png
    180.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 1679897101574.png
    1679897101574.png
    86.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 1679897948767.png
    1679897948767.png
    465.3 KB · Views: 0
Mr. Nobody, Yen, and JW might not have had a TGTBATU payoff but they did have a very "John Wicky" payoff and I appreciate the movie remaining true to itself and not leaning too far into other films' turf. John is always fine with leaving people alive on the battlefield if he doesn't need to kill them and he isn't seeking revenge against them and we saw more of that with this trio. Him having Nobody dead to rights and instead saving the dog was cool IMO and had a satisfying payoff later on.

I also appreciate that when a seemingly prominent adversary survives it isn't just so that they can continue to milk that character (a la current Marvel and Disney SW) since those characters rarely appear in future sequels anyway. Instead they just seem to survive in order to have you coming away feeling like the JW universe is this large world containing a rich tapestry of living characters even if he murders the other 1,200, lol. An absurd world, but a living breathing absurd world and I freaking love it, lol.
Oh I didn’t think he needed to die at the end. Tuco didn’t.. this trio was missing “the bad” part and I was good with that.

I just would have liked to see a bit more with the forced team ups.

Back