JND Studios: The Dark Knight - Bale Batman 1:3

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
418951-FB-IMG-1669710021755.jpg

Oppa Gangnam Style!

That is exactly my thought when I see it. It's okay to objectively like something but if it doesn't look like the thing it's trying to replicate, we just have to be honest there

I think this piece looks great as batman but it's defo not perfect, which the price and JND would have you believe
This piece could literally be 100% accurate to the film and people here would still find a way to criticise it lol. It's always the case with JND pieces.

JND is known to take artistic liberties with their statues. They've always done that. Whilst I certainly agree it's not totally accurate to the film suit, I think as a statue it's the best overall representation of this character IMO, and I think it's a near perfect execution by JND personally, mainly because I think the changes are for the better.

The only thing I don't like is the cape material, but as it's a separate piece I'm not bothered as I'm sure customs will be available.

This piece could literally be 100% accurate to the film and people here would still find a way to criticise it lol. It's always the case with JND pieces.

JND is known to take artistic liberties with their statues. They've always done that. Whilst I certainly agree it's not totally accurate to the film suit, I think as a statue it's the best overall representation of this character IMO, and I think it's a near perfect execution by JND personally, mainly because I think the changes are for the better.

The only thing I don't like is the cape material, but as it's a separate piece I'm not bothered as I'm sure customs will be available.
I guess there are artistic liberties but they also say they're the most realistic and accurate, so it can't be both in all situations. It's where they differ from the source material that it becomes a matter of individual taste and preference

Am just wondering if they will get the Michael keaton licence, as it seems a no brainer and definitely doable

I almost PO this when it came out but ended up not going through with it. Looks insanely good.

Only knit, could be a one off but what is up with that hair line on the Bruce sculpt?

Attachments

• F1CE12AB-794F-4552-BF95-943E02DEA26C.jpeg
    F1CE12AB-794F-4552-BF95-943E02DEA26C.jpeg
    429.9 KB · Views: 0
I personally don’t think collectibles should try to stylize or “fix” the source material.

If this was 100% accurate I would be buying it instead of criticizing it.

Whether it’s intentional or not, they’ve changed the look of the suit in a way that makes it look campy and like it belongs in a 90s film rather than TDK. I think they changed it for the worse and I can’t spend my money on something like that.

If anything I think the excuse of “they intentionally got it wrong to make it better” is worse than them just making a mistake here or there.

All I know is that this:
19F3D5BC-C428-48ED-BCA1-B83A43F2404D.jpeg

Does not look as cool as this:
0CC3F862-039B-4208-9A04-9907EBAEEE5D.jpeg

Aside from the glossy parts it looks above the 95% likeness in my opinion. I can forgive the shine, because to me it looks good, and there's also nothing close to how good this looks, in terms of proportions, finish and realism.

It could also be just when lighting hits it looks glossy. There's a lot of photos where the silicone portraits look shiny when direct light hits but under standard lighting they aren't shiny. Probably won't be the case, I'll know when I have it in hand in Jan.

317496646_8315185755219997_4356831348934744142_n.jpg

So with no diret lighting it still looks like there's a translucent plastic over it, not as shiny, though. Definitely not as dull as it should be, they did mess up there with it. But doesn't bother me too much.

I almost PO this when it came out but ended up not going through with it. Looks insanely good.

Only knit, could be a one off but what is up with that hair line on the Bruce sculpt?
That's how all JND look close up, when rooted. From further away it shouldn't be as noticeable
317496646_8315185755219997_4356831348934744142_n.jpg

So with no diret lighting it still looks like there's a translucent plastic over it, not as shiny, though. Definitely not as dull as it should be, they did mess up there with it. But doesn't bother me too much.
He looks great, congrats. I would be interested to see how he looks in different lighting, e.g. moody lighting from different angles. Him and Joker certainly look intense!

That's how all JND look close up, when rooted. From further away it shouldn't be as noticeable

He looks great, congrats. I would be interested to see how he looks in different lighting, e.g. moody lighting from different angles. Him and Joker certainly look intense!

That's not my photo, I'll be sure to take those moody photos when I get him, though.

I guess there are artistic liberties but they also say they're the most realistic and accurate, so it can't be both in all situations. It's where they differ from the source material that it becomes a matter of individual taste and preference

Am just wondering if they will get the Michael keaton licence, as it seems a no brainer and definitely doable
To be fair, I don't think they ever said it's the most accurate (even though it is), just that it's the best rendition of Christian Bale's Batman, and tbh they're right. Which Bale statue is better than this? I've owned them all. Whilst this isn't perfect, they've gotten the closest out of anyone by a long shot. The proportions are spot on. The only major inaccuracy is the glossy carbon fibre. The headsculpt is the most realistic sculpt to date. If a collector was truly fussy, I feel like that would be an easy fix with some matte varnish.
I personally don’t think collectibles should try to stylize or “fix” the source material.

If this was 100% accurate I would be buying it instead of criticizing it.

Whether it’s intentional or not, they’ve changed the look of the suit in a way that makes it look campy and like it belongs in a 90s film rather than TDK. I think they changed it for the worse and I can’t spend my money on something like that.

If anything I think the excuse of “they intentionally got it wrong to make it better” is worse than them just making a mistake here or there.

All I know is that this:
View attachment 610474

Does not look as cool as this:
View attachment 610473
Aren't you a 1/6 collector/customiser? No offence, but I don't think you were ever interested in buying this. The statue is literally almost identical to the screenshot you shared. You make it sound like it looks completely different. The only major differences are the carbon fibre and cape. Custom capes have been around forever and will no doubt be an option for this too. The carbon fibre is easily fixed if it truly bothers you. If you can customize a 1/6 figure to the extent you have, surely you can make small mods to this if you truly wanted it.

Nothing is ever perfect in this hobby, so passing on a statue or figure because it's not 100% perfect is crazy to me. You'll be waiting forever for a perfect rendition of your favourite characters, because you can't please everyone. Seems to me the majority of collectors are extremely happy with how this turned out.

End of the day, it is literally the best rendition of the character released in any scale by any company. I have owned the 1/6 Batman's, 1/4 by Hot Toys, 1/4 by Sideshow and the 1/3 by QS. Nothing has come close to this IMO. If someone is not interested in this due to the generic pose, that's fair enough. But as far as realism, detail and proportions go, I don't think anything else comes close IMO.

Queen Studios left JND Studios right
9RQ3xmU.jpeg
Wow, everything on the queen studios version is way better except the chin and belt. I'd even say I prefer that Queen studios cowl shape over the weird splayed ear QS001 looking JND cowl but the chin is way worse one the QS. Still a big swing and a miss by JND on this IMO.

Aren't you a 1/6 collector/customiser? No offence, but I don't think you were ever interested in buying this. The statue is literally almost identical to the screenshot you shared. You make it sound like it looks completely different. The only major differences are the carbon fibre and cape. Custom capes have been around forever and will no doubt be an option for this too. The carbon fibre is easily fixed if it truly bothers you. If you can customize a 1/6 figure to the extent you have, surely you can make small mods to this if you truly wanted it.
I would have bought it if I thought it was a faithful representation of the screen used suit. It's not even close to almost identical to the screenshot I shared. Every single armor plate is significantly different from the screen used suit in a way that, when viewed in its entirety, makes the statue look like some sort of anime version of the character. The biceps are way too small and awkward looking, the gauntlets hang strangely, the cowl is not correct, the cape exits the collar at the wrong spot, and I don't like the bug eyed expression here anymore than I did on the QS001.
JND cowl.jpg

So far no statue has lived up to their goal of accuracy in my eyes. I'll stick with my customized QS001 and DX19 over something with more "detail" if it means broad strokes are wrong, no mixed media suit, and no posability.

Attachments

• BF827F1B-B6E7-4CA7-8519-3490B5CF9A21.jpeg
    BF827F1B-B6E7-4CA7-8519-3490B5CF9A21.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • 0D34E893-B52F-40D4-990A-453D9CC0943E.jpeg
    0D34E893-B52F-40D4-990A-453D9CC0943E.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 8F74DDCA-F85F-498B-B208-7F66CD3BFC4E.jpeg
    8F74DDCA-F85F-498B-B208-7F66CD3BFC4E.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Wow, everything on the queen studios version is way better except the chin and belt. I'd even say I prefer that Queen studios cowl shape over the weird splayed ear QS001 looking JND cowl but the chin is way worse one the QS. Still a big swing and a miss by JND on this IMO.

I would have bought it if I thought it was a faithful representation of the screen used suit. It's not even close to almost identical to the screenshot I shared. Ever single armor plate is significantly different than the screen used suit in a way that, when viewed in its entirety, makes the statue look like some sort of anime version of the character. The biceps are way too small and awkward looking, the gauntlets hang strangely, the cowl is not correct, the cape exits the collar at the wrong spot, and I don't like the bug eyed expression here anymore than I did on the QS001.
View attachment 610568

So far no statue has lived up to their goal of accuracy in my eyes. I'll stick with my customized QS001 and DX19 over something with more "detail" if it means broad strokes are wrong, no mixed media suit, and no posability.
I had the QS piece and I couldn't disagree more. The proportions are weird, mouth area is very odd, belt colour is bright gold, cape is fixed to the body and the material used is a little transparent (not evident in pics) as it's so thin.

Significantly different? Really? Gonna have to agree to disagree I think. I'm just not seeing what you're seeing at all.

Whilst I appreciate the work you put into your custom figures, they still just look like toys to me (no offence), so I wouldn't take them over any released Bale statue, accurate or not. I prefer no mixed media suit personally, especially with the way they are able to sculpt statues now as there is less chance of materials deteriorating, and I'm not into posing my collectibles personally (in fact, I hate it). Anything that is posable to me looks awkward and toyish. Its why I got rid of all my figures years ago.

I had the QS piece and I couldn't disagree more. The proportions are weird, mouth area is very odd, belt colour is bright gold, cape is fixed to the body and the material used is a little transparent (not evident in pics) as it's so thin.

Significantly different? Really? Gonna have to agree to disagree I think. I'm just not seeing what you're seeing at all.

Whilst I appreciate the work you put into your custom figures, they still just look like toys to me (no offence), so I wouldn't take them over any released Bale statue, accurate or not. I prefer no mixed media suit personally, especially with the way they are able to sculpt statues now as there is less chance of materials deteriorating, and I'm not into posing my collectibles personally (in fact, I hate it). Anything that is posable to me looks awkward and toyish. Its why I got rid of all my figures years ago.
Imagine paying $3k and getting thisB285BACC-8AC9-43BF-B0C9-B1CD195B75E0.jpegD6F139FF-4619-4294-A2B1-A2215BA97ED9.jpeg

Don’t worry though I’ll leave this section of the site aside from any replies to posts I’ve already made. I had hopes this release could get me to buy my first statue but, unfortunately, it’s only proven what I already knew, they are not much more accurate, if any, and much less versatile than a quality figure.

I’ll keep playing with my toys until a statue gets it right.
2581E63A-E4D6-4BC0-9128-80F857BAD4F4.jpeg

Imagine paying $3k and getting thisView attachment 610571View attachment 610572

Don’t worry though I’ll leave this section of the site aside from any replies to posts I’ve already made. I had hopes this release could get me to buy my first statue but, unfortunately, it’s only proven what I already knew, they are not much more accurate, if any, and much less versatile than a quality figure.

I’ll keep playing with my toys until a statue gets it right.View attachment 610573
Looks good to me 🤷‍♂️ I loved it in Wiki Figure's review. I don't trust phone pics.

We all like what we like. Enjoy your figures.

Looks good to me 🤷‍♂️ I loved it in Wiki Figure's review. I don't trust phone pics.

We all like what we like. Enjoy your figures.
Why does Wiki Figure’s always squish the headsculpts on these? Definitely not something I would want to do on my fresh $3k collectible. But the guy has like all the thing’s apparently so money is nothing to him I guess lol

Why does Wiki Figure’s always squish the headsculpts on these? Definitely not something I would want to do on my fresh $3k collectible. But the guy has like all the thing’s apparently so money is nothing to him I guess lol
Haha, tbh it's tempting the first time but the novelty wears off. They're more durable than people think. I only squeezed my joker slightly when I first got it as I was curious to see what it felt like. That guy overdoes it for sure lol

Let’s not make things up to give a company excuses. The suit was never shiny in the film, we saw it new in Wayne Enterprises and Hong Kong.

What random carbon fiber parts look like unfinished isn’t relevant to accuracy to the film, especially when it’s never called carbon fiber in the film and we can see with our eyes that it’s not shiny.

No release of this character has been truly accurate, this one is no exception. They’ve done an overall poor job of recreating every finish on this suit. On some examples the black is satin instead of matte, the fiber is glossy, and the cape is some sort of microsuede. It’s wrong.

You’re all free to like it but we don’t have to pretend it’s perfect or justify the liberties they took with the design.
I have had Queen and the QS001 and sold both of them, this looks to be far superior overall despite some of the inaccuracies.

As far as your carbon gripe, shiny things like that are often dulled for the screen, but in real life they would be just as shiny as the JND piece. I remember some collectible companies even offering 2 versions of a prop, a shiny real looking one and a dull "screen used" style. Some pieces like Aliens come in 2 different colors even, blue for how they looked on screen and brown which was the real prop color. Honestly that is a fairly minor gripe to call "substantial" considering he probably would have just painted the carbon black anyway if not for the movie design team wanting it exposed just to look good.

Back