Jerry Vanderstelt LORT Art

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mfoga

Super Freak
Reaction score
I never post in here but I thought you guys would be interested in this. I was talking to Jerry at Star War Celebration IV and he has a LOTR line of artwork coming out. I have the promo card and I will add it here once I get back home and can scan it. Jerry might pop in here too I told him about this. He will be at SDCC also.

https://www.vandersteltstudio.com/

Have to admit his layout on the FOTR is not as stellar as the ROTS he did for CIV. Hopefully that FOTR preview is merely a sample and not what he's leaning towards.

lurtz001 said:
Im not too impressed by that sample litho, it just seems a bit too cluttered

I don't know what you are looking at then! This thing looks so awesome. I can't wait to own all 3!

For anyone who hasn't seen the proto yet. I can't even fathom how amazing this will look when finished

just curious and pardon my ignorance...

what exactly is a "litho" and a "giclee" ?

I don't know much about paper terminology but the add in this thread says "80 pound paper" and that preview just referenced "100 pound paper." What does that mean and what's the difference?

Sorry about the confusion!

I made those promo cards with the intention of creating these lithos with 80 pound cover paper, but then changed my mind after Celebration IV, and went with an even heavier paper; 100 pound acid-free archival paper. Does that clear it up? Basically, this is even better paper...it's thicker!

Jerry

Thanks for the clarification Jerry. That print looks awesome. I can't wait to see what you have in store for "The Two Towers" and "The Return of the King". Any chance you'll do any more Star Wars lithos? I'd love to see an "Empire Strikes Back" themed piece.

Dutchart said:
Sorry about the confusion!

I made those promo cards with the intention of creating these lithos with 80 pound cover paper, but then changed my mind after Celebration IV, and went with an even heavier paper; 100 pound acid-free archival paper. Does that clear it up? Basically, this is even better paper...it's thicker!

Jerry

Kick ass. The master himself has joined us!

Welcome Jerry :welcome

I was able to get your CIV print through a fellow freak here and I am hoping to some way shape or form get a C3 print as well. But I really can't wait to get this FOTR litho. After watching your video I think I'm ready to watch the movie again :monkey5

lurtz001 said:
Im not too impressed by that sample litho, it just seems a bit too cluttered

Hi Lurtz.

I hope to clarify that the promo ad itself is NOT the artwork, but simply an example of the layout intended for the actual painted artwork : )

And Lurtz, I know what you mean by cluttered! Whenever I compose an intricate layout such as this, it seems to be VERY cluttered when the art is all layed out on the board in pencil.
Once I actually get to painting this thing, is that things get fleshed out and worked out by way of subtlties and focus. Some things get pushed back, other get pulled forward and detailed, depending on the storytelling element, and needs of the artwork itself.Once that happens, the clutter tends to thin out a bit. My two cents.

You may simply dislike the layout arrangement, and if that's so, then cool by me.

Khev said:
Thanks for the clarification Jerry. That print looks awesome. I can't wait to see what you have in store for "The Two Towers" and "The Return of the King". Any chance you'll do any more Star Wars lithos? I'd love to see an "Empire Strikes Back" themed piece.
Hi Khev.

Actually, I'm doing a "Classic" Yoda piece for Cel Europe, which should debut on SW.com real soon!

Jerry, when will you be revealing the final layout for this FOTR litho? I've seen your artwork gracing the LOTR pinball machine, and it's breathtaking. BUT, it's all in the layout and the emotions it evokes for me. Since display space is limited for me, this one has to be a knockout and not another movie collage like I've seen before. I assume you'll make them available for purchase at SDCC? And for the price, does it already come in its tube?

Hi Radagaster

Please allow me explain my intentions a bit.

That promo card that was scanned on this blog is an accurate representation of what the layout will look like, as far as the placement of the characters,scale, etc. What it does NOT show is how I will approach the layout when it gets fully painted.
For instance, Merry and Pippin are at the top of the Moria gate. Currently, they are painted in a monochromatic map-colored style to push them back, while Arwen for instance,is fully painted because I want to bring her forward. Some characters like Gandalf, are a bit less colorful because my intentions are to concentrate more vibrant colors on the characters closest to the center of the layout.
As far as it being just another movie poater collage, it may not suit your taste at all, and that's perfectly fine. Pleasing everyone is an impossible job, and I do have to satisfy New Line Cinema as well as other LOTR buffs like you and I. New Line approved my layout, and gave me the go-ahead, so there you are.
Wait and see. I hope you like it when it's all done. If not, that's OK too; I'm not twisting any arms.
SDCC will not see these lithos, because I have other commitments that have to be cleared first. No matter where offered, these lithos will be sold with the industry's best shipping tube available. I'm not cutting any corners.

I hope this helps explains things.

Well, I think it looks stunning already! Have you said how much they will cost? And have you already done ones for TTT and ROTK? And do you know when they'll be available to buy?

Hey guys - just wanted to post something here on the price/quality of these pieces. I know some of you may say, "$150... is Jerry nuts?!!!!" But I gotta say... you get what you pay for! Trust me on that.

For anyone who doesn't own this type of work... these aren't "poster" quality. These lithographs are printed with serious care and quality. 100 lb paper and 100 year archival inks. The size/scale is impressive. They really are beautiful pieces of art and not "cheapo" type prints that someone rushed off to make a quick buck.

I'll let Jerry speak from himself here... but I'm just gonna say that Jerry is very respectful of collectors and sensitive to our concerns. A ton of time, effort and care is put into his work.

So basically, I'm just saying... you really won't be disappointed in these! So if you are interested... pull the trigger! All you folks with huge Weta and/or Sideshow LOTR collections can make a dramatic statement displaying your stuff with Jerry's work framed above!

-Swabs

Back