JERRY VANDERSTELT Licensed LOTR art & happenings PT.2 - SAURON Sideshow ART reveal

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: JERRY VANDERSTELT Licensed LOTR art & happenings PT.2 - SAURON Sideshow ART revea

Hey Jerry, with all this talk evolving around the print itself I don't think anyone's asked this yet.....have you come up with a title for your print?

Yes, simply, "Sauron". The Paper version will be the only one with a title visible; the canvas will not show a title :)

JV

Re: JERRY VANDERSTELT Licensed LOTR art & happenings PT.2 - SAURON Sideshow ART revea

Paper version for me. Good gravy this thing is amazing.

I really like the piece and I'm sure I'll be getting it. One concern I have is the positioning of the left leg. Does it look a bit awkward to anyone else or are my eyes decieving me?

Hi Obsidian.

I think that leg position will make a lot of sense once seen in three dimensions, especially given that Sauron is standing on a steep angled surface. :)
I know that if I am standing on a flat surface with my left leg on say a 1 gal. paint can, my leg is positioned a certain way. If I then stand on a steeply tilted piece of plywood with my left leg on that same 1 gallon can, the angle and position of my leg will compensate the difference of the flat angle for the steep angle I am standing on if I don't want to fall :lol

Take care,

JV

Awesome awesome piece!

My only criticism is that there is too much lateral rotation of the left leg. Looks a little bit unnatural. The left leg needs to be rotated closer to the medial plane. For the layperson: left leg needs to be closer to the centre line of the body.

Edit: I had a second look at the picture and "unnatural" is the wrong word. "Inappropriate" is more appropriate. Sauron comes across as being a grandiose but evil character. Having the left leg rotated laterally so much detracts somewhat from that grandeur. I would only imagine a more feline/acrobatic character adopting a more dynamic post such as this.

Last edited:

Yea the 3-D sculpt could look just fine. Based on the incline of the hill etc, I'm sure the leg is positioned correctly just not sure i'm a fan of the way hes standing. Like the poster before me, what bothers me could be the outward rotation of the leg. What may be drawing more of my attention to that portion of his leg is the reflection of the lava on the armor on that leg which makes it stand out more. Anyway, hope I'm not coming across critical, I love your style of artwork.

But having said all that, I hope i don't spoil people's delight with this piece. Saying that the left leg is rotated too much is akin to pointing out to da vinci that the size of his mona lisa portrait is too small and unimpressive.

This is very impressive Jerry,so glad you didnt go with an all action pose,Sauron surveying his lands in a moment of supreme confidence and rule

Awesome!!

Oh and the best preview pic of a Statue we're ever going to get ;)

Jerry

I know of your work, of course, but not of you the artist so forgive me for asking a newbie question. Is this a painting or computer generated image? Looks amazing from what I can see although I don't buy realistic art for my collection for some odd reason (I'm an Eric Tan / Olly Moss type of guy).

About the legs. First I should say I am viewing this with corneal infiltrations from a particularly bad stint of viral conjunctivitits - my vision is clouded and blurry. As such, it took me a little time to figure out what was going on with the legs. First, I had trouble with the right leg because I think the cloak is draped down a rock in the same shape as Sauron's pointed boot. My blurry eyes were making all sorts of matrixed images out of that. The left leg would seem to fit with the general leg postures SS has used on these PFs - I'm thinking GTW and ML PFs here which seem to have unexpected and debated leg positions that evoke some movement.

Yes, simply, "Sauron". The Paper version will be the only one with a title visible; the canvas will not show a title :)

JV

I must confess, I was hoping for something a bit more "dramatic", but it is straight to the point I suppose.

Here is a regular pic and a slightly bigger one, that had to be watermarked for now. Sideshow will be posting news on this project as well, soon! Enjoy!

JV

VanderSteltSauronforweb.jpg

SauronFinalwatermark.jpg

Simply Amazing Jerry.
You sold me on this, can't wait to see how he PF turns out.

Thanks Kratos!

Thanks for the comments. The Fine Art Giclee's ( Paper and Canvas versions ) will be available, I believe next week sometime.

JV

Nice! I'll be ready. :rock

Sauron looks amazing, great job Jerry!!!! Can't wait to pick this up and sideshows Sauron statue to go with it!! :wave

Thanks FS!
The Fine Art of this piece will likely be available next week sometime!

JV

Thanks FS!
The Fine Art of this piece will likely be available next week sometime!

JV

That is great news Jerry! I am really looking forward to this pre-order. :yess:

I love the pose Jerry, hopefully SS will do your art justice. I hope the Ex for the pf will be your print.

I love the art, very nicely done. However, I'm not sure I love the pose (in regards to having a statue made of it). But it's way too early to decide on that. I think I'd actually like to at least see a tease of the statue/PF first. :lol

I love the pose Jerry, hopefully SS will do your art justice. I hope the Ex for the pf will be your print.

Thanks Azurepred!

Whatever SS decides, I'll be offerring the Fine Art Giclees of Sauon in Canvas and Paper formats probably late this week, maybe earlier ; )

JV

Here's some new info about the Sauron project up at Sideshow: https://www.sideshowtoy.com/?p=3485...tm_content=Vanderstelt&utm_campaign=Prod-blog

The Fine Art Giclees of both Canvas and Paper #1's are going to be auction items for those of you that have to have the 1/100 Canvas or 1/800 Paper. These listings will be posted here as soon as I get them up.
Also, the Canvas and Paper regular listings will go up soon as I can get them underway!

JV

Back