Jazzinc 1/6 Batman 1989 Batwing

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice. If only I had the space and a DX 09 since I sold it hoping for a reissue.

Posted this morning by Joost!.. blown away!

Thanks for posting those pictures - it looks absolutely fantastic!

I've had this on order for almost 25 months, and the waiting has been terrible. There were re-designs, the WB licensing stuff and the "should I cancel the order" questions I had. Seeing these pictures makes it all worth while.

Please continue to post as additional materials become available. I'd like to understand the mounting mechanism and the supports for both horizontal and vertical display.

so this is a new sculpt all together? not pulled from molds or any direct lineage to the screen used BIG one?

so this is a new sculpt all together? not pulled from molds or any direct lineage to the screen used BIG one?

It is my understanding that there were two or three "original" batwings used in the movie. I'm not sure any of them use the same dimensions consistently as they were used for different shots/angles.

This is a brand new product, 3d modeled based on materials and experts provided by WB. I'm sure there were other experts involved, as I believe they got people that had ties to Barris when they made the 1966 batmobile. This is actually reviewed, approved, and licensed by WB.

I'm not sure a mold would work anyhow, given that it has to be engineered for all of the electronics, internal structures, and disassembly for global shipping.

Did Jazz go into detail anywhere how the licensing works now that he's with WB? Did he just get the okay for all his existing stuff that he was doing like this 89 Batwing, the 66 Batmobile and the Forever Batmobile? Curious how that worked on his end since he was selling them before he got with WB officially.

Wow, even with the licensing fees it's surprising to me that this costs a full $1000 more than the Snowspeeder, as they appear about equally huge and complex. Of course I wouldn't have the space for either one anyway, so guess it doesn't matter too much. Lol

Did Jazz go into detail anywhere how the licensing works now that he's with WB? Did he just get the okay for all his existing stuff that he was doing like this 89 Batwing, the 66 Batmobile and the Forever Batmobile? Curious how that worked on his end since he was selling them before he got with WB officially.
He didn't really go into any details, but the licensing didn't apply to the Justice League batmobile. I guess it was pretty much out the door by then. Everything else (including any future work) batman-related is under WB licensing, plus he got some additional licenses that he's hinted at in a couple of his videos. I think he may have options on more WB stuff, but I'm not 100%. He's gone ahead and indicated that the 2022 Batman batmobile is currently in design phase, and he also hinted that he may tackle the 1989 batmobile because it may be part of an arrangement he has for licensing on the new Flash movie. There is speculation that batmobile in the Flash might be a four seater. I guess we'll see. That would be cool.

Wow, even with the licensing fees it's surprising to me that this costs a full $1000 more than the Snowspeeder, as they appear about equally huge and complex. Of course I wouldn't have the space for either one anyway, so guess it doesn't matter too much. Lol

If you adjust for the licensing fees, it's only $500 more (maybe "only" isn't the best word - it's still a lot of money). Plus, there's the fact that the 89 batwing is supposed to be shipped in three boxes, so there's extra packaging cost and design for that.

The batwing was the first of the huge products to be released, so I'm sure it was the one that took the most time to work out the issues associated with it's size. When I got in on it, it was priced the way it was because he told me he only expected to sell about a dozen of them worldwide and each one was pretty much an individual custom effort. I'm sure he's got orders for more than a dozen of them now, but I strongly suspect it's not at the numbers where his costs can be divided enough to bring down the price to snowspeeder levels.

Although it was never said, it was sort of obvious that WB caught him with his hand in the cookie jar. I think it would be naive to think that the same destiny doesn't await him at the hands of Disney with the Star Wars stuff.

he also hinted that he may tackle the 1989 batmobile because it may be part of an arrangement he has for licensing on the new Flash movie. There is speculation that batmobile in the Flash might be a four seater. I guess we'll see. That would be cool.
Don’t know exactly if it’s gonna be the Batmobile but yeah it seems that a vehicle is a 4 seater…

the Bat emblem looks like the 89 on the pic.

Where did you get these?

I guess batman had to install seatbelts to get his ride insured - looks like he's gotten used to the constant warning chime, though ;)

I never understood why the Flash would ever spend any time in a car when he could get anywhere he wanted much faster by running.

A few months ago, pics were leaked from the set.

A 4 seater Batmobile with seatbelts?
seriously? And a speed regulator? :ROFLMAO:

i thought exactly the same? Why the hell Flash would need to jump in a car???

It is my understanding that there were two or three "original" batwings used in the movie. I'm not sure any of them use the same dimensions consistently as they were used for different shots/angles.

This is a brand new product, 3d modeled based on materials and experts provided by WB. I'm sure there were other experts involved, as I believe they got people that had ties to Barris when they made the 1966 batmobile. This is actually reviewed, approved, and licensed by WB.

I'm not sure a mold would work anyhow, given that it has to be engineered for all of the electronics, internal structures, and disassembly for global shipping.
Actually I'm pretty sure he had most of the modelling already done well before he got the WB license. He's making a few prototypes to send out to WB for approval soon. He's also going to make a few changes from what I understand mainly to the cockpit controls and the back lines.. They should curve with the wing. Not go diagonally.

Attachments

• 20220125_155138.jpg
    20220125_155138.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 34
  • Screenshot_20220124-213105_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220124-213105_Gallery.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 28
  • Screenshot_20220123-104907_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220123-104907_Chrome.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 31
Actually I'm pretty sure he had most of the modelling already done well before he got the WB license. He's making a few prototypes to send out to WB for approval soon. He's also going to make a few changes from what I understand mainly to the cockpit controls and the back lines.. They should curve with the wing. Not go diagonally.

Respectfully, I'm not sure I understand the point. I believe the inference is that WB staff and subject matter experts aren't fully involved in the design or their contributions are somehow being marginalized. If that's the point, I would certainly agree that Joost did do extensive research and design before WB got involved in the project. Clearly, he could have benefitted from having all of their reference materials up front at once.

However, there seems to be a misconception that just because WB didn't participate on day 1 that the product might have somehow suffered technically because WB participated later in the timeline. I would point out that, in terms of participation, WB's roles and responsibilities are as equal under a day 1 involvement as they are in a later in project involvement, simply because they are responsible for design validation and to some degree, deliverable quality. The product has/is/will receive design feedback, validation, and approval before it goes out the door. Same as if WB were involved on day 1.

Clearly, had WB been involved on day 1, the overall duration would have certainly been much shorter. But again, it is likely that WB would have inundated Joost with materials and SME contacts all at once up front, so his research and refinement period would have been much shorter. Still, it's all the same participation for WB vis-a-vis the end product. After providing the artifacts to Joost, WB would be in the position to confirm his design only after he presented them with something to see that he had worked on.

So, is it a negative thing that WB wasn't involved on day 1? In terms of overall timeframe to delivery - yes, in terms of deliverable quality - probably not. Who's to say that WB has every necessary detail that was required. After all, it wasn't WB that had the batwing, it was the Prop Store, and Joost found that.

I believe this was just a story in "taking the scenic route" rather than anything else. The lesson here in choosing to try and get around licensing, is that it cost a whole lot of time and extra effort. In the end, the product is now licensed and subject to all conditions that WB requires before it goes out the door.

At the end of the day, I'm not sure that I understand what was untrue or misleading about that statement, or anything else in my original post that necessitated quoting and correction. That said, I would welcome any factual information that I could learn from.

I don't think anything negative about WB.. or their interaction with Joost.. But I'm willing to bet they don't have any secrets that have been withheld from the internet all these years. They certainly don't have any detailed shots of the cockpit controls.. back then stuff was used then tossed or sat around and rotted in a prop storage area..

1st photo is Joosts cockpit.. after he access to WB resources.. 2nd is a shot of the movie cockpit lightened up.. and 3rd is a 3d model that one guy used movie shots to make his own..

Just saying WB doesn't seem to have a lot to offer Joost.. least as far as the minute details.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220124-213105_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220124-213105_Gallery.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 22
  • Screenshot_20220123-104907_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220123-104907_Chrome.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 25
  • asd89ygsqbrg (1).jpg
    asd89ygsqbrg (1).jpg
    572.6 KB · Views: 30
Back