It's Time

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

filip629

Super Freak
Reaction score
OK peeps, I think it's time for this discussion. A dedicated 1/4 fully sculpted line by SSC should be in the works. The initial success of XM Studios should prove to SSC just how many collectors truly love 1/4 fully sculpted pieces. North American and European collectors are lining up with $$$ in hand to purchase 1/4 fully sculpted pieces from XM. Peeps are spending up to $800 to buy the XM Cap at retail and add him to their collections. Why is SSC continuing to release 1/5 COMs (which SSC Reps openly admit don't sell much) and all but ignore a 1/4 fully sculpted line? We just receive a trickle of 1/4 fully sculpted pieces from SSC now...and that's just when mixed media is difficult to pull off on some characters (think Venom, Iron Man, and Silver Surfer). Now, just imagine how many more COMs would have sold if they were all in 1/4 scale.

I propose that SSC either start a new 1/4 fully sculpted line or reboot the COM line to include 1/4 fully sculpted pieces only. Keep the PF line for 1/4 mixed media pieces only (just like they did in the past). How is this not a win for SSC? No more hearing...'nice, but it's too small for me' or '1/5 scale=fail'. Think of all the additional revenue this would generate for SSC's bottom line. Would any collectors really pass on a piece BECAUSE it's in 1/4 scale? Also, XM would have their hands full competing with SSC's stable of artists and sculptors if they were both selling fully sculpted 1/4 pieces. I can only imagine what a classic fully sculpted 1/4 scale Cap, Thor, Hulk, Darkseid, Thanos, Scarecrow, or Bane would look like in SSC's hands.

I am well aware that 1/4 mixed media is where SSC's bread is buttered. However, there is a way to have 1/4 fully sculpted pieces not cannibalize their profits. Just stagger the releases of characters. Thor and Cap are great examples. We already have a movie version of Cap and Thor as PFs. We also have classic PFs. We have an Allied Cap and modern Thor PF. These pieces have already been released or are available for PO. Why not release a 1/4 fully sculpted classic Cap and Thor some time next year? By then the sales of the existing POs will have run their course and the other pieces have long been released. SSC could easily release 1/4 fully sculpted pieces of a classic Cap and Thor without having any issues with their PF line.

By not focusing more on 1/4 fully sculpted pieces, SSC is just giving $$$ away to companies like XM Studios. Collectors are certainly showing with their hard earned money that they are willing to support the format. As collectors keep shelling out $700-$800 per XM release, I find myself asking...why doesn't SSC want that money? If SSC were to release a 1/4 fully sculpted Cap, it would cost hundreds less for domestic collectors. Also, the stable of talent that SSC has is greater than XM. While the XM pieces certainly look good, I can only imagine what a 1/4 fully sculpted classic Cap would look like in the hands of Pablo, Martin, Andy, or Shu. These are phenomenal sculptors that usually produce mind blowing sculpts.

Sorry that this turned out to be so long winded. However, I am very passionate about 1/4 fully sculpted pieces. Judging by the support and money spent on XM merch, I'm not the only one. A 1/4 fully sculpted line should be on SSC's radar. The demand for them is obviously there. IT IS TIME!

Last edited:
Back