Is TLC Anyone Else's Least Favorite?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys. I feel like it's my parental duty to expose my kids to all the greatest works of cinema before they become teenagers so that they have as much of an opportunity as possible to experience the joy of having all these movies becoming a part of them. If I just leave them to their video games and SnapChat now so that they stumble upon classic films in adulthood they'll just never truly have the same effect.

So my kids (ages 8 and 11) are already well versed in the original theatrical Star Wars trilogy, Indiana Jones, classic Disney, Universal Horror icons, 1954 Gojira, original Kong, the works of Hayao Miyazaki, Jaws, E.T, other classic monster movies like the original Blob, "Them," The Last Unicorn, Watership Down, and so on. They can sit through films that I know other kids would laugh at or fall asleep to.

Parenting done right.

Make them fans of the classics at a young age :D

I know my ranking of the series would turn many heads, but for me:

TOD
ROTLA
KOTCS
TLC

It's funny how I was in the camp of fans who rated KOTCS as the weakest for a long time, when I started coming around on it. I feel time has been kind to KOTCS whereas with TLC it diminishes the more I watch it and more of it's flaws stick out. ROTLA and TOD are of course as timeless and damn near perfect as they've always been.

And for the record I don't dislike TLC if it seems like I do (I'd give it an 8/10 rating, which is pretty high), but of all the Indy films it's the one I have the most problems with. Good movie but for me not the be-all end-all of the series like it is for so many.

Anyone else also think this movie lost the "pulp" feeling of the first two? One thing I loved about ROTLA and especially TOD is they really had the pulpy feeling of the 40s and 50s-era pulp adventure magazines and adventure serials that inspired the character in the first place, and with TOD there's also a distinctive EC Comics-like feel, like it originated as a Tales From The Crypt comic. In TLC it seems they really lost that feeling, and while KOTCS didn't really have it either it at least did moreso than TLC. I think it was a big part of what made the first two feel so special and unique.

With the recent news of Indy 5 happening, I really hope it won't be more akin to TLC with the more comical tone and approach, but with the film being both a fan favorite and also a favorite of Spielberg's I suspect it'll be used as a template :/ I still enjoy the movie but I'm hoping for something more akin to the original two movies for the series finale.

Hope so too SM, but will it really be the finale, or the start of indys next chapter in film? Recast, reboot, its all been thrown out there to speculate:huh

With Harrison now in hid mid-70s this'll at least be the final film with the OG Indy. I just hope they make it a spectacular adventure and worthy finale for the series, something much more hard-hitting like the first two. I don't want something more jokey like TLC.

Although it's sort of a minor thing in hindsight, another about TLC that always sort of bugged me was the tie Indy has. It just looks odd paired with the rest of his suit and impractical as well. Made him look more like a businessman than an adventurer or something. I can't imagine Indy having a tie in the first two movies with the things he did and the stunts he pulled off.

I have high hopes that with Disney at the helm they can turn the Indy 5 film a bit darker as they have done with the SW films... I just hope they don't go overboard with the social justice warrior undertones as they did with The Last Jedi... that was a train wreck..

As an aside... I honestly wish Spielberg (and I may be in the minority here) would do an Indiana Jones animated feature length film in the same realistic style of Tintin... They could have young Harrison (with his actual voice) on any number of adventures.. Has so much potential..

Last edited:
Rogue One was pretty dark and probably the closest Star Wars has gotten to being R-rated. RO shows Disney knows how to do a harder-edged Star Wars film, it's just a matter of having the right people onboard for it.

I fear with Indy 5, Spielberg may simply opt to have it be something like Last Crusade 2.0 in an attempt to win over people who hated KOTCS. He's said TLC is his favorite and it's been a fan favorite for many years, and I hope he doesn't think simply think to just do a retread of it. He'd be wise to re-visit TOD and see just how good a more different, out of the box type of Indy film can be.

Agreed on RO.... genuinely enjoyed that one... Halfway through The Last Jedi I started wondering if the script had been written by on loan writers from The Huffington Post.. :(

They've been hit and miss with Star Wars so far, with luck they'll hit the mark when it comes to Indy. It's all going to come down to how Spielberg handles the film. He seems to be wanting to get back to making films more along the lines of what he used to, between RPO, Indy 5 and Blackhawk, so hopefully he has his creative energy going that he'll infuse in Indy 5.

Also forgot to say before and it's a rather minor nitpitck, but when Indy and Elsa are in the catacombs and wading through the petroleum-filled waters, it should've lit up when Indy had the torch. Those catacombs would've been one big gasoline can with all that petroleum and the fact the torch never sets anything ablaze is in itself pretty unbelievable. I get that a lantern wasn't availble, but it would've been far safer to be used in that scene.

Also forgot to say before and it's a rather minor nitpitck, but when Indy and Elsa are in the catacombs and wading through the petroleum-filled waters, it should've lit up when Indy had the torch. Those catacombs would've been one big gasoline can with all that petroleum and the fact the torch never sets anything ablaze is in itself pretty unbelievable. I get that a lantern wasn't availble, but it would've been far safer to be used in that scene.

If i remember correctly, you actually see some of the flame from torch drop into the liquid ( gasoline) and just disappear. If it was the real deal, no indy4 or 5 for us fans

The air quality would've probably been highly flammable and unsafe in those catacombs, too. The instant any open flame was lit, Indy and Elsa would've been extra-crispy.

I have high hopes that with Disney at the helm they can turn the Indy 5 film a bit darker as they have done with the SW films... I just hope they don't go overboard with the social justice warrior undertones as they did with The Last Jedi... that was a train wreck..

As an aside... I honestly wish Spielberg (and I may be in the minority here) would do an Indiana Jones animated feature length film in the same realistic style of Tintin... They could have young Harrison (with his actual voice) on any number of adventures.. Has so much potential..

I agree with the animated idea, but would love to see it as a 2-D adventure instead of CGI(and have Patrick Schoenmaker as the lead animator)

https://youtu.be/iE8v5WDbbC4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A hand-drawn animated Indy series would be awesome. Surprised they never did that, especially back then when so many successful movies ended up getting animated series.

Hmmm Av8ER... I definitely like his style... but man the style of Tintin's animation was just brilliant... in a perfect world.. they'd do it all... but again its not like anyone on this board would balk at a bunch of Indy options.. :)

Good article on TLC being the weakest.

I know this topic's gotten a bit older, but I came to this article recently and thought it was a good read. TLC is still an enjoyable film, but I can never agree with it being the best. This article really highlights a lot of why I find it to be the least (or least best, as I still enjoy it).

I wonder if there's others who regard TLC as their least liked of the series even with the two newer films in the mix? Granted all three are pretty interchangable for me (still thought Dial Of Destiny was quite a good film and worthy series finale). But while I still get enjoyment of TLC, it's issues stick out more and more to me every time. Plus I find of all the films it easily has the lowest rewatchability and doesn't really stand on it's own very well and I need to be in a certain mood for it. I very rarely if ever watch it when not marathoning the entire series, whereas I can always watch the first two anytime.

Back