Is 1:4 scale not too big?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abstractharmony

Super Freak
Reaction score
Surely space becomes an issue sooner rather than later?

It's 12" for me (too many at this size for me to change).

Also - the price difference is HUGE. Surely they can't make enough for it to be cost effective.

What do you guys think?

TOO big?!?! No chance.

I actually prefer 1/3 scale, like the Cinemaquette pieces.

But, 1/4 scale is really good too. I also love the mixed media format, as pieces just look more realistic.

I decided about a year ago to not even collect pieces that are smaller than 1/4 scale.

You can check out the "Show your shelves" section for pics of my collection. Updated pics coming soon.

I think the Star Wars and LOTR fans will soon face a huge delema,nobody's got enough space (if not cash) to display a full cast of characters in this scale.

Poelzig said:
I think the Star Wars and LOTR fans will soon face a huge delema,nobody's got enough space (if not cash) to display a full cast of characters in this scale.

Wrong on both accounts Poelzig.

I know a lot of collectors (myself included) over at Statueforum that will be buying the entire line of both LOTR and Star Wars 1/4. Not to mention almost every CM piece too.

;)

1/4 scale I dont think is to big? Is that the question?
I agree with Gruson on this I'm planning to get the entire Fellowship in the 1/4 scale and most if not all SW 1/4s.

abstractharmony said:
Surely space becomes an issue sooner rather than later?

It's 12" for me (too many at this size for me to change).

Also - the price difference is HUGE. Surely they can't make enough for it to be cost effective.

What do you guys think?

There is alway some spaces for your collection...add some shelves, be creative...

Gruson said:
TOO big?!?! No chance.

I actually prefer 1/3 scale, like the Cinemaquette pieces.

But, 1/4 scale is really good too. I also love the mixed media format, as pieces just look more realistic.

I decided about a year ago to not even collect pieces that are smaller than 1/4 scale.

You can check out the "Show your shelves" section for pics of my collection. Updated pics coming soon.

Same here my friend. I've got the exact opposite feeling now after getting into 1:1 props and soon 1/3 Cinemaquettes. 1/4 is an excellent size, and you can display many of them tastefully.

Bigger is definitely better. I got sick and tired of visitors referring to my SS/W collection as "figurines". It made me feel like some old lady with a figurine collection. Seeing Kong v. Rex makes it hurt even more what they did with some of the LOTR pieces. Think of the Battle Troll or the Balrog at that same size.

Anyway, these new pieces really are impressive in person, and the Cinemaquettes, the SS maquettes, and 1:1 props could easily be mistaken for screen used stuff. They're that good.

I have extremely limited space but I'm getting all the SW and LotR PFs and many of the others. I'm confident that one day I'll be able to display them all.

This is off topic, but I was showing my wife my 1/4 scale Wolfman and I showed her the box and that it was #464 of 600. My question is: Has anyone got a #1 of a run? IE: 1 of 1000 I never thought about it till she mentioned it. Then I got curious.

1/4 scale is definitely NOT too big. You can always put up more shelves....
or add on a new room..........or build a bigger house........... :wacky
I actually prefer that scale or bigger, as it allows more detail to be put into
the features of the statue. Sculpt, paint, and clothing are all enhanced by
a larger scale statue. 1:6 is the smallest I'd go at this point, unless something
was totally amazing that was smaller. My Hughes Bruckner Wonder Woman
statue may be smaller than 1:6, but it is incredible and I'll be keeping it.
I sold my 1/9th scale Kabuki statue however, as the detail just wasn't
good enough for me to want to keep it around.

Bigger is always better! :banana :banana

JS :peace :D

I dont think 1/4 is too big to make..

But I question if its something I want to get into due to the $$/space issues it creates..

My Lurtz is still on order yet Im hesitant.

I still have no Idea where to put my future Hulk/Spidey Dio.

Like Dave Im pretty sure Ill be able to display them all in my future game room, which at the moment is a distant dream.

*dreams*

Personally, I love the 1/4. Definitely not too big. Been hooked ever since I saw the first ad for the 1/4 Vampyre which I was finally able to track down.

Planning to get as many as I can and definitely all of the LOTR and SW. Always can find more room. Just keep spreading the collection out.

I stop getting the 12" before I stop 1/4. :D

I reckon space is all relative to your collecting habits. You could say 'For the price of 1/4 I could get 5 @ 1/6.' Those five will take up more room than one 1/4. So in that instance, buying 1/4 scale figures would save you room. Depends on your budget and how many 1/4 scale figures you intend to buy.

My solution for more room is, sell your bed and sleep on the couch. One whole room to deck out in an instant. If you have a wife, get rid of her, more room and .........................I think I will leave it at that.

creecher said:
If you have a wife, get rid of her, more room and .........................I think I will leave it at that.

Ouch!! Pretty harsh!! LOL

I love the 1/4 scale size. They are worth the extra price and display space. I hope to have the entire SW line, and maybe just the nine members of the fellowship for the LOTR line. If I had to make a choice, it would be Star Wars, since I already have a nice collection of LOTR pieces. I would have to sell them all to justify being a completist on a new line, and I'm not willing to do that. Completist with Star Wars, and selective shopper with Lord of the Rings.

creecher said:
I reckon space is all relative to your collecting habits. You could say 'For the price of 1/4 I could get 5 @ 1/6.' Those five will take up more room than one 1/4. So in that instance, buying 1/4 scale figures would save you room. Depends on your budget and how many 1/4 scale figures you intend to buy.

My solution for more room is, sell your bed and sleep on the couch. One whole room to deck out in an instant. If you have a wife, get rid of her, more room and .........................I think I will leave it at that.

Hmmm??? I fall asleep about half the time in the ole La-Z-Boy... I could toss the bed and fill a second bedroom! That would give me another year or so... I think? :horror Thanks for the idea Creech! :banana

The 1/4 scale PMs have really changed my outlook on collecting. They are the perfect combination of statue and 1/6th clothed figure aesthetic for me. The best of both worlds. And the size is perfect as well because it makes the piece a real eye catcher. Smaller items tend to get lost in the crowd but these things are great. Sure room is a problem but I have lots of walls. I'll work it out.

I think 1/4 is too big to fit in a collection cabinet.
If you have open space to place your collection then the 1/4 collection is good, but to get a nice look to a collection cabinet only 1/6 will do.

ju421019 said:
I think 1/4 is too big to fit in a collection cabinet.
If you have open space to place your collection then the 1/4 collection is good, but to get a nice look to a collection cabinet only 1/6 will do.

Just have to get a different type of cabinet. I've seen pics of several collection with 1/4 scale in cabinets. These are usually models with adjustable shelves so they can accomodate the larger figures.

Back