Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (June 30th, 2023)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LOL, dudes answered these uninteresting inane obligatory questions a million times, he's just looking over for his handler, to finally move him along.
And his joy for Quan seems genuine.
Yeah what did the guy think Ford was gonna say in response to "do you have any favorite memories from filming The Fugitive 30 years ago" with 10 seconds remaining in the interview. I'm 48 and if I was speaking to some random person on the street who said "Hey Khev do you have any awesome memories from when you were 18" I'd be all "what? dude get out of here," lol.

I fully expect a large dumpster with my Hulkbuster being thrown on-top of my Prime 1 Batman that is on-top of my Hoth Luke that is on-top of my Y-Wing fighter that is on-top of my lightsaber collection that is on-top of my steelbooks that is on-top of my Omnibus’s that is on-top of my……….lol

So what's happened now is that the concept of "thrifting" was actually a career for some for a while.

People would go to estate sales, surf through Ebay for big lots of stuff and go to places like Goodwill, to get things then flip them. Maybe repair them or clean them up a little then flip them.

Once the big corporations figured this out, things changed. The first was that the "good stuff" is skimmed off the top at three levels. First it's by employees sometimes. Then the rest is shipped to a central processing, where it's refurbished or reset for secondary market sale and then put online for sale direct or put up for auction on a place like Ebay. Third, some of it is put into a clean room, and VIPs are allowed to go in and just pick what they want. The last was explained to me by a guy I knew who was an executive for a charity. It's like a walking gift bag for known or high level donors. Because some really high end items get donated sometimes.

So odds are your Hulkbuster, if not sold by your family or whatnot after you die, will be donated somewhere. If it's not skimmed off the top by a local employee, then it might end up in an online auction at some point. Or in the hands of a rich person in private as a comp item for their tax deductible donations to said "charity"

Lots of people who work in waste management have contacts at local flea markets. They skim some things that people throw away, then sell it for cash in bulk to some resellers in flea markets. Obviously if your Hulkbuster is triple bagged, it might make it into a landfill. But they actually try to filter stuff out ( like separate out the recycle worthy items, etc, etc) so there's a decent chance it would still be found eventually depending on your location and how it's handled.

This was years ago, but I read about how when people die, there was an entire cottage industry about removing the corneas of dead people, right after they die, something like that, and there was a black market industry for that for a while, even for people who didn't give that kind of consent.

I have several decent sized tool kit assortment trays/shelfs full of 1/6th weapons. The kind that have like 15-20 segments in them. Some of that is actually pretty rare now. Probably worth 4-5 grand if I tried to auction them off separately, etc, etc. That kind of stuff would slip through the cracks. A bunch of little plastic bits. But big stuff like a lightsaber or a high detail large item, maybe that's tougher to slip past.

The moral of this story is just sell your stuff now. Vultures will get it. The money process will end up where you probably don't want it to go.

The executive I knew who worked at a major charity, at the corporate level, I saw his house once, and it was like TV show kind of swank, he pulled me aside and said, "I really like you, you are a good kid, don't ever give anything to a charity. Zero. All you are doing is buying someone like me a new jet ski"

I told my son that he could have my collection when I die. He said, "what am I going to do with it?"
Oh well , I really won't be around to complain what he does with it.😇
-Jim G.G.

Surely your Indy customs will live on to display another day. A fellow freak will be there to pass the torch to hopefully

I fear our days are numbered. Extinction is our future.

Like those little old ladies that used to collect glass menageries.

Last edited:
Surely your Indy customs will live on to display another day. A fellow freak will be there to pass the torch to hopefully

My tiny little nephew couldn't tell you the first thing about Indiana Jones. Or even most of Star Wars. Or even most of Marvel. No interest in comic books, board games, figures, customizing, kitbashing, whatever.

But he could tell you the specs of a new gaming GPU down the tiniest detail. Or he could figure out all the options on a social media site like he's dismantling the warhead off of a Tomahawk missile. And we are talking about a teeny tiny little kid here.

There is absolutely positively no reference at all to Indiana Jones. It would be to us like how the old vintage collectors in our hobby used to collect The Lone Ranger. I know very few modern collectors in our relative age bracket who want Lone Ranger stuff. There is no real context. How is someone like my nephew going to want to be immersed in Indiana Jones.

I mean I actually get why it's happening. Putting in America Gomez in a Dr Strange movie. Writing a Blade script where Blade isn't the star, he's already passing the torch to teenage girl/BIPOC mini Blade-ette. I get why Dune cast Timothee Chalamet and probably had to shove him and Zendaya there to get the financing to work. We can't just have Hawkeye, we need tween Hawk-ette. ( the difference being they actually picked a good actress to play that role)

I mean I get why it's happening. My tiny nephew is more likely to see something Hailee Steinfeld was in , at some point, like Bumblebee, than anything geriatric coke fiend in Harrison Ford has been in recently. It's just most of the time, the quality is just so bad.

It's not my money, and it's not my collection, I mean for all of you out there, but IMHO, just sell it all. Except for those few core pieces and maybe have a plan to slowly detach those as well. So that when we die ( because everyone dies, except for Indiana Jones being written badly to try to squeeze out a few more dollars) , maybe all we have to do is hand over a few key pieces for a nephew or child to hold onto. They won't know what it means, but it won't be overwhelming. It's not nostalgia for Indy, it will be nostalgia for you, and that you loved something, including them.

My nephew doesn't want my collection. He doesn't even understand my collection. But he'd understand it if I sold everything and shoved it into a college fund for him.

Indiana Jones is our Lone Ranger. I guess we all got old.

My tiny little nephew couldn't tell you the first thing about Indiana Jones. Or even most of Star Wars. Or even most of Marvel. No interest in comic books, board games, figures, customizing, kitbashing, whatever.

But he could tell you the specs of a new gaming GPU down the tiniest detail. Or he could figure out all the options on a social media site like he's dismantling the warhead off of a Tomahawk missile. And we are talking about a teeny tiny little kid here.

There is absolutely positively no reference at all to Indiana Jones. It would be to us like how the old vintage collectors in our hobby used to collect The Lone Ranger. I know very few modern collectors in our relative age bracket who want Lone Ranger stuff. There is no real context. How is someone like my nephew going to want to be immersed in Indiana Jones.

I mean I actually get why it's happening. Putting in America Gomez in a Dr Strange movie. Writing a Blade script where Blade isn't the star, he's already passing the torch to teenage girl/BIPOC mini Blade-ette. I get why Dune cast Timothee Chalamet and probably had to shove him and Zendaya there to get the financing to work. We can't just have Hawkeye, we need tween Hawk-ette. ( the difference being they actually picked a good actress to play that role)

I mean I get why it's happening. My tiny nephew is more likely to see something Hailee Steinfeld was in , at some point, like Bumblebee, than anything geriatric coke fiend in Harrison Ford has been in recently. It's just most of the time, the quality is just so bad.

It's not my money, and it's not my collection, I mean for all of you out there, but IMHO, just sell it all. Except for those few core pieces and maybe have a plan to slowly detach those as well. So that when we die ( because everyone dies, except for Indiana Jones being written badly to try to squeeze out a few more dollars) , maybe all we have to do is hand over a few key pieces for a nephew or child to hold onto. They won't know what it means, but it won't be overwhelming. It's not nostalgia for Indy, it will be nostalgia for you, and that you loved something, including them.

My nephew doesn't want my collection. He doesn't even understand my collection. But he'd understand it if I sold everything and shoved it into a college fund for him.

All your points understood and agreed. But my eight year old daughter likes Indy and wants to see 'Dial of destiny' with me at the cinema in a few months time. She has some idea of what my collections value is and knows there is money there for her in the future.
I actually tell her what the price things are fetching and her eyes light up like dollar signs. I know she won't love it the way I do, but it's definitely not wasted on her!
In the meantime, I collect only the stuff that truly connects me with my childhood, movies that somehow tattooed themselves on my daily life, and pretty much pass on the rest. I don't have a single marvel or dc piece, there is no nostalgia for any of that stuff

More times than I'd like to admit, over the 25 years or so, I've realized tat I'm no different from that pathetic lady in the play. How I must look to normal people, seeing me fret and fuss over my assemblage of little plastic men instead of having a life and a family.

"I don’t do anything — much. Oh, please don’t think I sit around doing nothing! My glass collection takes up a good deal of time. Glass is something you have to take good care of."

Ugh. I'm the worst.

I told my son that he could have my collection when I die. He said, "what am I going to do with it?"
Oh well , I really won't be around to complain what he does with it.😇
-Jim G.G
My kids already know they are dividing them up ….I have talked to them about which ones they each want.

I’m
I would never advocate putting a perfectly good Hulkbuster anywhere near in-laws.
I’m measuring my plot so Hulkbuster fits in with me :)

My nine year old absolutely adores everything Indy, even the bad stuff. Its all in the upbringing.

My kids already know they are dividing them up ….I have talked to them about which ones they each want.

So once we die, assuming we aren't turned into vampires ( that doesn't sound so interesting, I know some of you might dig it, but it would seem tedious to me) , there are good odds that for most of us, our relatives won't know what any of this is worth.

The Hulkbuster is like 15 pounds or more. It's big. It's shiny. Iron Man and Avengers is within the practical frame of reference to any basic movie goer. You don't need to be part of our hobby to figure out it's worth some kind of money. I have the HT Samurai Predator. It's a "prestige" centerpiece type of item, well for it's time. Again, even someone not versed will figure out it's worth some money. But some of this HT Batman stuff? I have a box dedicated to loose headsculpts I picked up mostly in trades. I have the original HT Vito Corleone, the HT Dutch, HT Clubber Lang, HT Jeff Bridges, HT Blade, HT Billy Sole, HT T1000, etc, etc, etc. That moderate sized box is probably worth a decent amount if you Ebay'ed those out one by one. There are probably 50 heads in it. I can see someone seeing it as a bunch of doll heads and chucking it.

Still a big believer, and I'd said this in another thread, the most someone can handle is about 40 figures total. And that's if they live in a house and probably by themselves. I mean enjoy them, display some, have a few to work on, etc, etc. The only assessment I can make is I have some "projects" that have been dormant for like a decade. Some for 15 years, etc, etc. That's the stuff I would wager people ought to dump. I'm never going to finish that full sized SWAT team. Never. Deep down I know it, so all those parts should really go.

But in this discussion, maybe I've hit on something key for Indiana Jones.

Indy the Vampire. That makes total sense now. Now someone will say that's BS, that's just going off into fantasy. And my take is anything Indy we saw past Last Crusade was just a shameless cash grab anyway. This isn't about the Indy we love in the beginning. This is like when those Leprechaun movies put that tiny psychopath into space. Why is there a mother f******ing Leprechaun in space? No idea. But just cash those checks, homie.

Think about it, Indy the Vampire, forced to take a job as an overnight stocker. Miserable. Gained weight. Getting turned down on Bumble for midnight hook ups. Since it's Harrison Ford, he can mask his real life coke withdrawals with feigned blood lust withdrawals. Then Short Round comes into the store Indy is working at, and he recognizes him. Indy doesn't want to get into it, but then he sees Short Round is married now, and his mother in law moved in too.

Indy the Vampire vs Short Round's NPD mother in law. - "Lady, you can't gaslight someone who lives forever"

Then the battle ensues. While the neighborhood is burning down, Indy has to flee. He can't take much with him. He takes his Hulkbuster, looks at it, then throws it in a dumpster. Short Round points out that it will be skimmed off the top and end up being refurbished and put in an online auction eventually. Daylight comes. Indy is prepared to die by the sun. Then a limo shows up. The license plate says "Shameless Cash Grab" on it. The door opens. The Leprechaun comes out. He's wearing an astronaut's suit.

"Where are we going?"

"To Mars"

"Why Mars?"

"Who gives a ****. It's a paycheck. That coke you keep hoovering up won't pay for itself"

"Will I finally win an Oscar?"

"What do I look like? A mediocre actor pretending to care about a deaf Amish kid?"

"You've got a foul mouth"

"When your total upside is the Syfy channel, you wear your pain on the outside. Welcome to the club, the one where we all go direct to video but you are only in it for about five minutes"

"I need a coffin, I have needs, do you have one"

"Best I can do is a fridge, Pops. Let's ride."

They ride together. They die together. Bad Boys for life.

The End.

I turn 54 this month and I've started (very slowly) downsizing my collection (Swedish death cleaning). No, I'm not terminally ill and I expect/hope the process will take a couple of decades.

I'm saving the best stuff for last, and don't expect to have offloaded it all by the time I pass, but I'll make damn sure my kids know not to put the HT in landfill (unless they've somehow lost all their value by then - see above discussion on cultural memory).

So far I've come across several purchases from a decade or two ago where I have no idea why I bought them. Different fads/tastes/priorities at the time I guess.

Last edited:

I had thought of that many times over a decade of collecting one-sixth, as the collection ebbed and flowed. I get my minimalism from my father, who was of a generation where it wasn't *called* minimalism and no one wrote books about it -- I may have got my contradictory penchant for collecting from my mother. And even she has auctioned a bunch of stuff in the last few years as she ages; and had the kids choose what they want (not much, as it turns out. Not much at all). It's my responsibility to deal with all of her crystal and such that's left when she passes. I'm not looking forward to it (and certainly not her passing), but if she's still enjoying it, so be it.

My niece's wee kid digs Spider-Man. At least he knows what that figure is.

Yep, already there. A couple of items, nothing I worry about. Maybe someone will want Spidey. If not, no big deal. No massive collection to contend with. I actually don't own much when it comes down to it. I'll catalogue the source and value of my few art pieces, the furniture is self-explanatory (it's nice, but either someone wants it or not, who cares).

We're doin' it right now.

Woo-boy. This thread sure took quite a turn. :rolleyes:

ca6b3a96247c93b9504cffdbb14b4532--harrison-ford-st-patricks-day.jpg

DYeRSnpU0AAXS5P.jpg

intro-1659792189.jpg

Back