InArt: Harry Potter 1:6

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Full payment... for things sometimes years away.... Hmmmmmmmmmmmm...?

I know how this behavior will end.
I always pay off my stuff way ahead of time, I’ve never been burned. I only order from Kit and Giantoy now, had previously bought from Sideshow and occasionally Timewalker.

Honest question - why is paying off early bad? I’d rather get these things off my plate ahead of time in case something else comes up.

I always pay off my stuff way ahead of time, I’ve never been burned. I only order from Kit and Giantoy now, had previously bought from Sideshow and occasionally Timewalker.

Honest question - why is paying off early bad? I’d rather get these things off my plate ahead of time in case something else comes up.
I wouldn't say it's necessary bad. Those are two of the best and safest HK distributors. I would say for some people, it's more just letting your money sit and collect interest elsewhere.

Lately, I've started just putting that money for a figure over to my savings account and then when it's released 1-3 years later I can pull it to pay off on release. This allows me to collect the interest and have quick access to the funds if ever needed. I've done a little bit of everything when it comes to paying these off.

I don't think there's anything wrong with paying things off early. We all do what we feel is best with our personal budgets.

I prefer not to pay in full for 4 reasons in no particular order:
  1. Final product may be worse than the proto and I'd rather not have previously paid all that money down and have to go through trying to get a refund or be forced into a retailers points in lieu of my money back
  2. My collecting focus might have changed since I PO'd said item and again, would rather be out the deposit than the full amount, etc.
  3. You never know if the retailer you purchased from might go under and escape with ALL your money.
  4. As @Earth 616 Collector mentioned, you can let the rest of the money collect interest elsewhere so at least you gain a little something while waiting for the release depending on how you deal with you money that is.

Last edited:
I don't think there's anything wrong with paying things off early. We all do what we feel is best with our personal budgets.

I prefer not to pay in full for 4 reasons in no particular order:
  1. Final produce may be worse than the proto and I'd rather not have previously paid all that money down and have to got through trying to get a refund or be forced into a retailers points in lieu of money
  2. My collecting focus might have changed since I PO'd said item and again, would rather be out of the deposit than the full amount, etc.
  3. You never know if the retailer you purchased from might go under and escape with ALL your money.
  4. As @Earth 616 Collector mentioned, you can let the rest of the money collect interest elsewhere so at least you gain a little something while waiting for the release
Yep, meant to touch on number 3. Unfortunately, you never know what could happen to any company or person. Especially this day and age with everything going on in the world.

Oh I don't know, like you just never know what a year will bring. Out of business, economic collapse, insurrections, pandemics, who knows...?

But the reasons above are more realistic. Besides... I'd rather have MY money than let someone else have it.

Yep, meant to touch on number 3. Unfortunately, you never know what could happen to any company or person. Especially this day and age with everything going on in the world.
Yup! I can't remember the name, but I believe a once reputable UK retailer ended up going under relatively recently and took everyone's PO money with them.

Yup! I can't remember the name, but I believe a once reputable UK retailer ended up going under relatively recently and took everyone's PO money with them.
OneSixthBruce was the biggest shock, but quite a while back. I know someone who had £3k tied up with them and lost it all. There have been a couple of other UK retailers with bad attitudes go under.

I prefer to pay upfront, but not on a PO longer than 6 months.

I’ve got well over £10k-15k tied up in POs. Living dangerously, baby!
live dangerously mike myers GIF

Considering HT is charging $420 for the new Star Lord that comes with sculpted hair and 2 guns, $500 for a sculpted hair Harry and all those accessories............that's actually a fair price.
I didn’t bother to check the exchange rate, but agree it seems like it. And if in Oz, free shipping!

That could be a new way to up-charge people: a "get it first" fee.

Delayed 6 months saves you X...
this is actually why some shops are more expensive. the cheaper shops can get a better deal with distributor when they are cool with getting 2nd or 3rd batches.

few reasons. 1.losing full payment due to fraud because po usually 1 year early making chargeback or claims difficult. 2.have no control over shipping date when stocks arrive. you might be out of town or something, you have less control over when they are shipped compared to holding the 80% as your email will be treated more seriously. i have made full payments and requested delay shipping it and was "overlooked". 3.sometimes you have send thoughs due to many reasons.

Full payment... for things sometimes years away.... Hmmmmmmmmmmmm...?

I know how this behavior will end.
it actually more under control since you pay what you spend rather than 10-20% deposit end up realizing you dont have enough money to pay all of them.

That could be a new way to up-charge people: a "get it first" fee.

Delayed 6 months saves you X...
Toyswonderland has been doing that for ages now with their POs. You want the so called "first batch" then you gotta pony up the extra dough; while "second batch" means you pay less, but gotta wait until they can maybe somehow hopefully find another mom and pop store that still has the figure you paid for so they can actually fulfill your order.

I like the way Kit has put it in the passed- "we don't pay grandma to go wait in line at Secrete Base to place an order for you" :lol

They actually say pay more for early arrival?
On the order page you have the option to choose/click first or second batch before adding the item to your cart, at least when a figure first goes up for PO. First batch price is always higher than second batch.

Back