IKEA Detolf Shelf Question

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomandshell

Blue Flame of the West/Mod
Reaction score
For anybody who has ordered the Detolf shelves from IKEA:

I wanted to get two of these. The website didn't give me tax or shipping info when I placed the order, but I instead received an e-mail with the shipping rates. Can anybody tell me if this is a typical shipping charge from them?

Merchandise Total: $129.97
Shipping and Handling: $220.60
Tax: $9.75
Order Total: $360.32

I about choked when I saw that shipping was almost twice the cost of the shelves! If you have ordered these before, is this how much you paid for shipping? I don't live near an IKEA so picking something up in person is out of the question. At this point, I am thinking that the Detolf shelves are not going to happen...

:horror....holly crap....I live about 400 miles from the nearest Ikea dealer and I was going to order thease for my B-Day....if thats what kind of shipping I am looking at I would be cheaper for me to drive to Phoenix and pick them up.....that is total bull$h!t.....Can you cancel your order:confused:

Edit: how far are they shipping your shelves?

Last edited:
Well, I just bought a very large wood & glass display cabinet for my home, but I was looking to add the detolfs to my office as a cheaper alternative. At those prices, they are no longer a cheaper alternative!

They didn't say where they were shipping from. My guess is that they are coming from the moon, at those prices...

And yes, I can (and will) cancel my order.

I just bought two of these from my Ikea, they were about $150 after tax.

The shelves come in a very thin but long box, and weigh close to 90lbs per, that certainly is your shipping cost, not to mention being oversize.

I wouldn't pay that however, for that price you could find something much better.

The Detolfs weigh about 90 lbs. each, so I don't think that shipping cost is too far off. If you can wait a couple months Tom, you can probably pick a couple up when you go to SDCC, if you're going and if you've got some extra space.

My van will be full of people and luggage! I am the designated driver for SDCC.

It would cost me about $50 in gas to go get them myself at my nearest IKEA store, plus about eight hours of my life. Not sure I will go with them after all...

Not worth it at all tom. The Detolf is a decent unit (I have on myself) but it isn't even a completely sealed unit. Dust can, and will, still get in. I know there are many that like'em, but I don't care for the Detolf's at all.

I picked up a detolf next week at a local Ikea shop but the only reason I got it was because they were only 40 euro's (45$), otherwise I wouldn't have bothered. That shipping is pretty steep but hey, now you know how us europeans feel every time we order some collectibles :lol

Lynxje said:
I picked up a detolf next week at a local Ikea shop but the only reason I got it was because they were only 40 euro's (45$), otherwise I wouldn't have bothered. That shipping is pretty steep but hey, now you know how us europeans feel every time we order some collectibles :lol

My heart goes out to you! Plus you have to deal with a much longer wait!

Mini-Rock said:
Not worth it at all tom. The Detolf is a decent unit (I have on myself) but it isn't even a completely sealed unit. Dust can, and will, still get in. I know there are many that like'em, but I don't care for the Detolf's at all.

Agreed, even though I just purchased two. They aren't adjustable, so you can only get two rows of PF's in there, and they lack a certain flair to them. I do however like that they are glass on all sides, so you can view things completely .... and the main reason to buy them - THEY ARE CHEAP! :chew

Here are some pics of my Star Wars display, (more to be added VERY soon - and the rest are still in the boxes): https://charles-song.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3817

I think they are worth it. I live about 3 hours from the nearest IKEA (Atlanta), and I paid $110 including tax for 2 of them (they were on sale at 15% off).

They're pretty crappy quality, just like everything else at IKEA, but they are serviceable for the cost.

I plan to eventually have pedastals and acrylic covers for many of my important pieces like the Predator maquette, but the Detolfs are nice to put the PF's in with MR helmets on top. I painted my Detolfs black, as I hated the wood grain they had. You can't stain them a cherry color, because the wood is cheap particle board. :(

The reason for the high shipping cost is due to the fact that IKEA's business model isn't setup for online sales. They mostly rely on people buying them in person. 2 Detolfs weigh about 180 pounds, so that costs a lot to ship anyway.

Yeah, they are good inexpensive solution. I don't care for the unit, but I like how you have your PF's displayed in'em. :banana

LOTRFan said:
I just bought two of these from my Ikea, they were about $150 after tax.

The shelves come in a very thin but long box, and weigh close to 90lbs per, that certainly is your shipping cost, not to mention being oversize.

I wouldn't pay that however, for that price you could find something much better.
is that $150 for two, or just one you talking about.:confused:

Two, they are $59.99 before tax; if memory serves they were just about $150. :chew

Actually, scratch that (I told it was contingent on my memory :monkey3 ) they were more like $135. :maul

IKEA's business model is creative, but definitely not for online sales. I've visited 2 nearby IKEA's in every weekend for the past 3 weeks trying to put together a display in my living/dining room using Billy bookcases. The prices really can't be beat.

The Detolf's are 100% worth every cent of $59.99. They are great for the 12" line of figures. I also had my SSW LotR Helms in one and they fit in nicely. Are they the best display around? Well no, but they don't cost $500 either. :) Also, no way I would pay $300 for shipping although that's probably pretty accurate based on the size and weight.

yeah i was going to order three of these back in november, but then they sent me the total price after shipping. once i recovered from the coma i decided to hold off until the next time i go visit my brother in atlanta (he lives 15 minutes away from them) granted their prices are great, but not that great. and i will comment on their quality over places like rooms to go.

tomandshell said:
I wonder if they will ever get on in the Fresno area. I'm just not going to drive to LA or San Francisco to pick up a shelf. :monkey2

For years, my mom & aunt took weekend trips to the L.A. area from Phoenix, AZ for the sole purpose of going to IKEA. Even before the IKEA opened here, I think like all but 1 or 2 items in the room wasn't bought from them. Now, the TV stand is the only non-IKEA thing in my room. I didn't mind getting away for a weekend about 4~5 times a year. Now, I pretty much only go away twice a year and one of those times is SDCC.

Back