• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Collector Freaks and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

If a deal is too good to be true - do not deal!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As a new board member there is one question on the matter of "time payments" which has been on my mind as of lately.

Can one still be protected under PayPal even though you are going through an individual instead of a store front?

Other than the obvious exchange of personal information, is there something else a buyer can do to protect themselves?

Or is it best to avoid these scenarios in general.
thanks
:dunno

As a new board member there is one question on the matter of "time payments" which has been on my mind as of lately.

Can one still be protected under PayPal even though you are going through an individual instead of a store front?

Other than the obvious exchange of personal information, is there something else a buyer can do to protect themselves?

thanks

pay with a major credit card for added protection. do not use the paypal funds that exist in your account.

I know I am new to this forum, but I am a member of procustomizers, tfw2005 and sebertron.com, needless to say I am a transformer freak but also getting into the awesomeness of Hot Toys.

Anyway, I have always seen a trade forum on all these sites and don't feel it would really be safe. I hate to sound negative, but unfortunately there are few trustworthy people out there nowadays.

I'd recommend sticking to paypal merchandise transactions to pay for stuff etc. Good luck to all out there and hopefully no one else on this forum gets scammed.

thanks

Timed payments over a period of time through paypal are safe IF you pay via credit card. many CC companies will protect your charges 180-360 days in case anything ever happens.

FYI for all members: IF you ever get scammed for a large amount hire a private investigator and pursue legal action against the individual. If you have proof on your side they will be required to cover any fees, court costs ect. Do not let scammers get off free. I also advise you only deal with people within your country unless they have a lot of feedback or an established member.

I understand everything you guts are saying and myself being a new member,I'm here to find straight up legit people and don't mind chilling out on these forums however long it takes to meet the criteria. I assumed that outside of trading that all transactions would be carried out through PayPal regardless,but as i said new member. Sorry to all those who got beat,that isn't the vibe of the majority of collectors out there,unfortunately people are always looking to take advantage of good people. So just throeing this out there,I'm looking for a Rainman Daniel Planview dx or full set and don't mind following whatever rulrs are in place to gey this figure. PayPal is not a problem and to get to know some people and build a realationship to get personal info as 3 months would go by for a couple reasons,1 it gives time to put some extra money away and I'd like to get fimilar with different members on thr site who can vouch for the person I'd be buying from and make sure no kind of hustling is going on. Appreciate any and all suggestions you have that you can toss my way to protect me from getting screwed on buying a piece,especially one like Daniel Planview who ain't cheap. Just a thought a written contract might be a way to be a middle man as a enforecer to protect you,not sure but wondering and any feedback on that as well would be appreciated.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

I just had a member from Indonesia want to sell me something and said they would only take western union, I told them no especially since they had multiple really bad feedbacks. I was tempted though because it was a fair deal.

I just had a member from Indonesia want to sell me something and said they would only take western union, I told them no especially since they had multiple really bad feedbacks. I was tempted though because it was a fair deal.

So after being asked to pay by Western Union and looking up that the seller has multiple bad feedbacks you still considered it? Go for it then.

I absolutely did, and I would use the seller's name but I'm not sure if that is common practice. And I only considered it before I had all the facts.

Moi aussi j'ach?te seulement et je paie toujours avec une carte de cr?dit via PayPal. De cette fa?on, si PayPal ne peut pas r?cup?rer mon argent, la soci?t? de carte de cr?dit le fera.

snaptube vidmate

It always sucks to have bad characters scam us, it seems more and more are coming out of the woodwork..surprisingly ebay has only given me one bad situation in 5 years...not bad i guess...but the fees are in the thousands

Re: Use caution when buying or trading!!!!!!!!

My perspective is--if you're dealing with a new guy, or just a guy with limited feedback on a trade, make them ship first and wait until you get the item in hand. If they don't capitulate, then don't do the deal, no matter how good it seems. If you're an established buyer/seller/trader, then I figure you've got a right to make the other guy prove himself.

Sending money to those guys is just asking for problems.
The problem with that is then the buyer can scam the seller, getting the item and then not paying.

It always sucks to have bad characters scam us, it seems more and more are coming out of the woodwork..surprisingly ebay has only given me one bad situation in 5 years...not bad i guess...but the fees are in the thousands
From what I'm seeing, fleabay has now "discontinued" the dispute resolution feature.

Hey guys I have a Sideshow PF Vader that I am selling for only $50..........see my email: I_live_1500milesawayfromyou,[email protected].

Seriously, be careful - most on here are top notch people, there are some scumbags. I've been very lucky but if I see a board member with less than 100 posts and they joined a month earlier, I generally pass on any transactions. And I've had some rough luck with other country sellers (not here but ebay), so that's another no-go. That, and the shipping to even Canada is pretty rough, let alone Europe somewhere.

HMMM . . .

I received a PM from a new member (joined today) wanting to buy a figure I listed. He's requesting pics (understandable) and asked if PayPal is okay.

Over past couple of years, I've read nightmare stories about honest sellers getting hosed on PayPal.

Also read a number of posts of about "new" members and the pitfalls associated with that.

Unlikely, I'll go through with it due to risks.

As for payment, I'd likely specify USPS Money Order and request the payment be sent registered mail requiring signature to me.

Honesty and trust are to hard to find nowadays. So many wanting to buy/sell with some who are on the hunt to screw over other collectors for $ and goods.

I'm better off selling it in person at a show for cash and make sure to have the counterfeit pen marker on hand to check each bill.

I thought paypal was the standard method of payment on here. It certainly used to be but it's a long time since I bought or sold on the forum. Mind you I also wouldn't be entirely comfortable dealing with someone who only just joined.

I thought paypal was the standard method of payment on here. It certainly used to be but it's a long time since I bought or sold on the forum. Mind you I also wouldn't be entirely comfortable dealing with someone who only just joined.
--

I remember the OSW during their heydays (remember them?) had a rule (that was enforced) where a new member cannot post in the buy/sell/trade section unless they had 50 or so posts within a specified duration to block out for obvious reasons.

That didn't stop some from getting creative to bypass such precautions.

There will always be those desperate to scam/steal and desperate to fall prey because they have a fix/want for whatever.

Back