• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Collector Freaks and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

If a deal is too good to be true - do not deal!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Use caution when buying or trading!!!!!!!!

What are people's thoughts on selling to new members who have literally just joined and maybe don't even have any posts yet?

I sold my Aragorn maquette to someone new with 10 posts. Everything went smoothly and he kept in contact the whole time. He even let me know when it showed up.

I would say that's safer as you are getting your money before you ship. With anyone I always insure the item and take photos while I pack it to prove it wasn't damaged before I shipped it.

I always take photos when I pack something up because you never know when you might need them.

Yeah thats what I was thinking. Any problems with shipping stuff to Brazil?

I would say that's safer as you are getting your money before you ship. With anyone I always insure the item and take photos while I pack it to prove it wasn't damaged before I shipped it.

:lecture:exactly::goodpost: Couldn't have said it any better.

Yeah thats what I was thinking. Any problems with shipping stuff to Brazil?

That I don't know. I've stopped shipping internationally because it's can be very stressful when you are dealing with big ticket items. I shipped my Doom Ex to Canada awhile back and it took almost a month to get there. It was in customs forever. Plus, once the package leaves the US, tracking isn't always accurate or always available. I was a nervous wreck.

That I don't know. I've stopped shipping internationally because it's can be very stressful when you are dealing with big ticket items. I shipped my Doom Ex to Canada awhile back and it took almost a month to get there. It was in customs forever. Plus, once the package leaves the US, tracking isn't always accurate or always available. I was a nervous wreck.

:thud:

I would have bought that Doom PF from you. :monkey2

Dammit. I knew I'd heard about shipping difficulties with Brazil somewhere and so I googled it. Sure enough. A lot of stories about things getting lost, taking a long time to deliver and big customs bills for the buyer. And I'm not willing to falsify the customs form by declaring a lower value and thus ___king myself over if the thing gets lost or the buyer is a scammer and claims he never received it when he did.

:thud:

I would have bought that Doom PF from you. :monkey2

Sorry. :monkey2

Dammit. I knew I'd heard about shipping difficulties with Brazil somewhere and so I googled it. Sure enough. A lot of stories about things getting lost, taking a long time to deliver and big customs bills for the buyer. And I'm not willing to falsify the customs form by declaring a lower value and thus ___king myself over if the thing gets lost or the buyer is a scammer and claims he never received it when he did.

Yeah, the poor guy that bought my Doom had some pretty big custom charges to pay - I felt bad, but there was no way I was going to lie about the value of the item. I'm not going to mark an item worth over $1000 as a gift. I doubt the post office would fall for that anyway. :lol

What are people's thoughts on selling to new members who have literally just joined and maybe don't even have any posts yet?

I would like to have this very question readdressed please. I'm considering selling a pricey item to a new member with a low post count and no feedback. I'd like to sell the item and could use the money, but I'd rather not turn into another cautionary tale. Aside from taking photos and tracking/insuring the package is there anything else I should do to protect myself?

You could always pay a little extra and ask for a signature at time of delivery. But other than that, there is not much else that I can think of. By doing all the above things, you will be protecting yourself as much as you can, and should any problems arise, you would have good documentation for your defense. Maybe also check with paypal and see what all they might recommend for a seller to do to protect themselves.

I have to say the majority of the scams involving newer members with no feedback, usually involve trades or the new member trying to sell.

I'm sure this has been asked & answered but I can't find it so here goes:

Why is it permitted for new members to post WTB/WTT threads but there is a specific rule set for posting FS threads?

I always thought that to be odd since they are both located in the Marketplace and that the rules would apply to both. I assume I'm missing something though so commence flaming me.

Please be gentle :D

I'm sure this has been asked & answered but I can't find it so here goes:

Why is it permitted for new members to post WTB/WTT threads but there is a specific rule set for posting FS threads?

I always thought that to be odd since they are both located in the Marketplace and that the rules would apply to both. I assume I'm missing something though so commence flaming me.

Please be gentle :D

Yeah this was something I too never understood when I had first joined...

It's a lot easier to scam people as a seller, than a buyer. Generally, one sends money before an item is shipped, so a seller can walk away with cash. If you're a buyer and you're scamming people, there's much less guarantee that you'll walk away with the item you "bought" and also keep the cash you "sent." So the risk is generally to the seller, not the buyer.

There's also more incentive to scam as a seller. Scammy buyers steal action figures, while scammy sellers steal money. Most scammers are more interested in money rather than collectibles. They're not in the hobby for love of the hobby - they're just faking it, so they can take your money.

There are other reasons too, like the need to have a feedback thread in a forum where anyone can post without restrictions.

You could always pay a little extra and ask for a signature at time of delivery. But other than that, there is not much else that I can think of. By doing all the above things, you will be protecting yourself as much as you can, and should any problems arise, you would have good documentation for your defense. Maybe also check with paypal and see what all they might recommend for a seller to do to protect themselves.

I have to say the majority of the scams involving newer members with no feedback, usually involve trades or the new member trying to sell.

Appreciate it. Thanks Jen. :wave

It's a lot easier to scam people as a seller, than a buyer. Generally, one sends money before an item is shipped, so a seller can walk away with cash. If you're a buyer and you're scamming people, there's much less guarantee that you'll walk away with the item you "bought" and also keep the cash you "sent." So the risk is generally to the seller, not the buyer.

There's also more incentive to scam as a seller. Scammy buyers steal action figures, while scammy sellers steal money[/U]. Most scammers are more interested in money rather than collectibles. They're not in the hobby for love of the hobby - they're just faking it, so they can take your money.

There are other reasons too, like the need to have a feedback thread in a forum where anyone can post without restrictions.

Thanks for the reply.

While I do get where you're coming from, I think buyers who have the intent to scam do so with the intent to scam a seller out of both his/her figure as well as their money.

A scammer's purpose is to screw someone else out of money while keeping their own regardless if they are a buyer or seller imo.

:dunno

Thanks for the reply.

While I do get where you're coming from, I think buyers who have the intent to scam do so with the intent to scam a seller out of both his/her figure as well as their money.

A scammer's purpose is to screw someone else out of money while keeping their own regardless if they are a buyer or seller imo.

:dunno

But buyers who scam aren't getting any money out of the scam. If the scam is successful, all the end up with in profit is an action figure. He doesn't get any of the seller's money, since the seller never sent money...

But buyers who scam aren't getting any money out of the scam. If the scam is successful, all the end up with in profit is an action figure. He doesn't get any of the seller's money, since the seller never sent money...

Good point. Though I have had a scammer on Ebay try and coerce me into sending him money to pay for return shipping on something he bought and wanted to return. He also tried to get me to send him money to replace what he claimed was defective items even though what I shipped was mint & photographed as such. :huh

Regardless, none of this really answers my initial question I don't think. :dunno

If the seller insures the package, provides tracking and signature confirmation, and invoices through Paypal (no gift) they protect themselves from any buyer attempting to get something for free. As both a buyer and seller, I insist on those things.

The seller is responsible for the item until it is in the buyer's hands, insured or not. As a seller, I insure $100+ items and as a buyer, I insist just to prevent any hassles from sellers who think buyer is SOL if the carrier loses or damages it.

Tracking plus signature places the burden on the buyer to prove loss. Accepting payment through a clearing house like Paypal (not as a gift) legalizes the transaction and gives you both protection. If you do these things then there's not much a newbie buyer can do to scam you, as all safeguards are in place. If a buyer insists on not having those in place to save money, don't sell. If a seller refuses to use them, don't buy.

So How does one trade or buy for a perosn from this site?

There's also more incentive to scam as a seller. Scammy buyers steal action figures, while scammy sellers steal money. Most scammers are more interested in money rather than collectibles. They're not in the hobby for love of the hobby - they're just faking it, so they can take your money.

Makes no sense...use your brain when buying from a new seller. use caution and the system that was put in place when buying from a newbie or anyone. Paypal only, no gift, use caution so you dont get scammed.
Kinda makes sense i believe. I hate that I can't sale over here but I can purchase and get excellent feedback. you csn be scammed by anyone on this forum.

Back