I can no longer stomach retail "mass market" figures… anyone else?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've tried limiting myself with this hobby but have failed miserably several times. I would always tell myself "no 6 inch figures, only Hot Toys." And then I'd find myself in toysrus gawking over all the colorful shelves and walking out with a few Marvel Legends/Black Series.

I think most of us went through that phase. I used to collect a lot of smaller toys/figures but realized that they caused more clutter than a collection. Now all I buy are 1/4 statues. I go through toy isles but never pick anything up for myself anymore. It was dangerous when I started buying some Disney Infinity stuff but I stopped myself after I bought like 20 of em:lol Now I'm starting to get sucked into 1/3 from Prime 1 which is another kind of dangerous!

I used to be more into collecting small figures, and I'm often still tempted to pick a few up. But, ultimately, I'd rather have one Hot Toys to represent a character than 20+ small plastic toys. I just don't have the money or the room. I like to think my collection has matured :lol

I have to say, there is a case for smaller figures being more fun to play with. Mezco Dredd and TDKR Batman are two of my favourite purchases from last year because I can mess around with them. They're expensive but not so much that I'll lose it if one of them breaks, and well-made enough that I like seeing them on display, too. If there were more figures in that niche I'd probably collect very little 1/6-scale.

Debates surrounding this are interesting though—why do we want high-quality things, if cheaper and less-luxurious ones suffice?

Add me to this growing list of 'converts'. YEARS I spent chasing the aisles for the smaller scale figures of characters I loved as a kid. When I "discovered" the larger scale (collectible quality) items, I decided that these were far more appealing and satisfying. As another member commented, the smaller items now seemed to be more 'clutter' than 'collection', to me. I basically sold off all my 3 3/4 and 6 inch figures and funneled those funds into the 1/6 scale and 1/4 scale offerings. I do miss the thrill of the hunt I had when chasing the aisles, but I'm no longer interested in purchasing. I still go to browse, see what's new, and THAT satisfies me. But there has yet to be a moment in the past couple of years where I had the compulsion to buy anything off the shelf.

I've more or less done the same thing. Now I collect Hot Toys, some 1/6 scale customs, Transformers Masterpiece (and some 3rd party figures), Minimates, and vintage figures. "Mass retail" stuff is so half-assed nowadays, and usually very overpriced. I've recently been getting back into vintage GI Joes. I picked up a 3 3/4" Rey figure for about $11. It's got almost no articulation, the paint apps are sloppy and basic, just not a great value IMO. The Joes I have were quality, even if the plastic and O-rings could get a bit brittle in the wrong kind of environment. So not even comparing these to HT, comparing them to older mass market toys, the stuff today doesn't compare. Some of it, like the Classics MOTU figures, are an exception by and large, but you pay an extra premium for that.

That's why I'm moving towards statues and once in a while a hot toy.
In my experience, most SSC PFs are maybe half as good, paint-wise, as your typical HT figure. Better than mass market stuff, but. . .not always even that, looking at something like my original comic Cap PF, or Spidey Comiquettes, which are OK, but certainly nothing to write home about.

I had the same experience collecting Funko Pops, once they hit the major stores I was done with them. They lost their uniqueness to me seeing them in gigantic retail stores so I sold them all. Now I basically stick to statues with the odd Hot Toys thrown in.

I agree with your feelings about retail figures...I just won't buy them anymore. A 3 3/4 figure should not cost $10, a 6" shouldn't cost $20+...

Personally I stick to Sideshow PF's, Hot Toys, and a few other companies that sell 1/6 scale...I do buy the exclusive figures from SDCC, but them I usually sell them off. I did keep the exclusive FO Stormtrooper.

Am I a Hot Toys snob?

I've felt like this on more than one occasion, browsing through the aisles of my local TRU. The paint, the likenesses, on most of these figures nowadays are pretty awful.

It also doesn't help that the store has such a lousy selection. Pegwarmers everywhere. Maybe if I had the chance to roam the BBTS warehouse... :lol

Pretty much all 1/6 markets have closed for me. Way too much money. I've gone back to the smaller size figures, but even then, they're trying to get cute with their price hikes. Message to all toy companies out there, stop killing the hobby that keeps you afloat!

I Sold my entire 6 inch vintage Star Wars collection, and now only buy HT or Sideshow 1/6.

My collection sat in an attic for 20 years because its impossible to display them without taking up an entire room. I can now enjoy my Ht collection, and it looks great too. Cost keeps the collection from growing too fast also.

I left the aisle hunting for prop replicas -- mainly Starwars -- about 12 years ago, then transitioned into Hot Toys when I found myself looking for a high quality representation on Nolan's Batman stuff. And now, I'm coming full circle and cutting down on 1/6 for more prop replicas due to the incremental price hikes, perceived value and all that jazz. Just waiting for eFx or some other company to really dangle the carrot.

I think most of us went through that phase. I used to collect a lot of smaller toys/figures but realized that they caused more clutter than a collection. Now all I buy are 1/4 statues. I go through toy isles but never pick anything up for myself anymore. It was dangerous when I started buying some Disney Infinity stuff but I stopped myself after I bought like 20 of em:lol Now I'm starting to get sucked into 1/3 from Prime 1 which is another kind of dangerous!

Hey I hear ya . Back in the day I collected 12" GI Joes ( the manly ones!) .... Then Hot Toys came along... Luv the sculpts , but what is often overlooked are the costumes ..The tailoring on them is fantastic ... Then as you said Prime 1 Studios ( a whole other level!) Great statues!
d78aea085e9cc43736300d224be6e43a.jpg
f47a5ccb21102250539a3d4c3e49d45b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I started with Spawn figures. Moved to Marvel. Then HT. Now I'm finding my self selling my HT don't get me wrong they are amazing. But I'm with the other memeber buying Neca and other figures instead of HT. The only figure I really want from HT and maybe won't be release os2the Hulkbuster. Other than that HT is amazing again but can't spen $250- 300 for a figure but I Will pay for that HB lol.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

I used to lose a lot of valuable time, money, and space on hunting down all kinds of 6 inch and even 3.75 inch figures. It simply reached the point that I could not stand to look at their quality when they were mere feet away from amazing Hot Toys figures displayed in the same room. It was the overwhelmingly poor quality of the Star Wars Black Series that pushed me over the edge. I sold them all, shifted my focus to high end 1/6 scale figures, and have not looked back!

My last post in this thread was just over a year ago. I still enjoy hot toys quality but their pricing has started to big me. Based on that the majority of my collection has become third party and kit bash figures. In some ways I really miss the hunt and being able to pick up five retail figures for a hundred bucks. Then again, they never seemed to get the oohs and ahs my sixth scale does. I guess it's a mixed bag for me lately.

:dunno

Back