How To Beat Collecting Addiction.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
this is why i usually wrap my books in plastic bag and taped after reading them. it's not airtight but at least it keeps most air, moist etc out.
It’s better to place them on a shelf and allow them to breath, but humidity is probably the biggest concern. Books on a shelf will still be at risk of mould if conditions are humid and wrapped up books left in storage can develop mould if the surrounding environment isn’t controlled.

There are a lot of really insightful responses here and I’d like to offer my own humble look at the topic.

I went though a brief phase of buying more collectibles than I should. For most of the time I’ve spent collecting, I’ve been able to keep it under control, only buying things that genuinely interested me but there have been brief lapses. The one thing that got a bit crazy was my collection of comics and books. I was buying books faster than I could read them and accumulating comics (mostly graphic novels) which were either never read or read once and stored away, never to be touched again.

For the past couple of years, I was trimming down (or at least trying to) the excess, limiting how much new clutter I was bringing into the home and just trying to be more mindful of my purchases. There wasn’t much incentive beyond trying to have a less cluttered environment.

Then disaster hit.

I discovered mould in my bedroom this year. My collection of comics and collectibles, most of which was stored in a wardrobe, was affected to varying degrees. The triage was heartbreaking and I ended up throwing away 70% of my books and comics. The remaining and most prized of my books and comics are in the process of being professionally cleaned and restored, while I’m slowly cleaning/sanitising my collectibles.

Years of collecting and it was now slowly rotting away before my eyes. It had also been a rough year for me. The Covid pandemic had put a great deal of strain on our family and created a lot of relationship problems. In the midst of this, I lost my motivation for many of my hobbies. I was surrounded by wonderful 1/6 figures and books but didn’t find joy in them.

The experience of throwing away stuff and cleaning out my bedroom has been strangely cathartic. I’m making the effort to be more outgoing and I’m in the process of remodelling my bedroom. I’m making it a place to spend less time in. A smaller computer desk and desk chair, fewer books on shelves and so on.

Although I was devastated to begin with, now I feel at peace with what has happened. Life is short and nothing lasts forever. On some level, these things we collect are pointless but it doesn’t mean we can’t enjoy them. Just maintain perspective and remember there’s more to life than our collections.
Man, that must've really been a blow. But I can relate to buying things faster than you can "experience" them. I'm not loaded enough to do it with HTs (although the fact that I went from 0 figures in the last 5 years to buying 3 and having 5 on PO, probably is a case of going too fast) but I did the book thing. Most hardcovers are pretty cheap, so you start off trying to get the classics and then you've spent 300 that month, while you've read maybe one out of the 10 things you bought. With comics I stick to Omnis/Absolutes these days, so they cost enough for me to be careful about what I buy. But still, the temptations are always there.

I think that, as time goes on, fewer and fewer things stick. And I look around and just the idea of having all that I put down on my wishlists feels like a waste of money. There are things across all media and genres that I love and revisit and maintain an attachment to. But all the rest, all the "yeah, that's cool"-s, all the half-remembered memories; what's the point of them? Obviously we don't need any of these things on a basic level. But they make us feel good and that's great. However, multiple other things could make us feel even better. So why do we keep buying useless plastic? I mean, we buy "figures" that we rarely ever move because the materials are fragile. In my case, I realised that I buy them to "close the chapters" of my geekdom. I want to move on beyond caring about the new issue/retcon/reboot, but I can't do that unless I put down a proper finishing touch. Ergo, the figures and the Omnis and all that jazz. My problem is that what begun as "okay, just the Omni of my favourite run, the HT of the MC and the Antagonist, the BluRay and [...]" is turning into wanting to buy everything I've ever interacted with. That's because as the numbers of figures increases you become more "loose" with your rules. You think "well, I already have 5 figures from License A and 4 from B, and I already collect 15 licenses so where's the harm in 2 more from C and dipping into License T" and from there you've lost it. You pretend to "focus" on just a few licenses, branching out into different scales to have a more "complete" collection, while also focused on a specific scale in general, and before you know it you're buying just to buy. That one's a "classic", the other's to "complete the set", the other reminds you of "that Summer" and so on. There have to be rules.

It’s better to place them on a shelf and allow them to breath, but humidity is probably the biggest concern. Books on a shelf will still be at risk of mould if conditions are humid and wrapped up books left in storage can develop mould if the surrounding environment isn’t controlled.
more about foxing and browning, something caused by air.

I made peace with letting go some treasured SW items and a few Hot Toys figures. They've been personal favorites for a long time but still mostly stay in storage. Still a ways to go to be where I think i want to be with my collection, but getting there...

I made peace with letting go some treasured SW items and a few Hot Toys figures. They've been personal favorites for a long time but still mostly stay in storage. Still a ways to go to be where I think i want to be with my collection, but getting there...
How did you manage to do it? Have you trimmed down your collection to just your few absolute favourites or was it just a general reduction?

I can offer my experience with collecting adiction. I was collecting Lego models. Starting in 2000, I had all the UCS (Ultimate Collectors Series, the most detailed and huge Star Wars models). I had every UCS model that was out there. Then started collecting modular buildings (great looking buildings, with intricate details on them), then normal Star Wars models, Lord of the Rings models, Winter village models, Egypt adventures models. It became too much. And when I had all the previous models, it was impossible to miss any new one, I would be missing it in my collection. The space for the models became problem, as well as money for it. So I decided to sell my collection - most of the pieces I sold to private Lego museum, the rest (mostly normal models, not UCS) I sold elsewhere. I learned, that when I did not have the previous models, even though I like the new models, my need for the new models is lowered. I just told myself, why buy this one, when I do not have previous ones. Bought new car with the money I got for Lego.

Then I started collecting statues (PF, 1/5, 1/6, 1/7). I know I am very limited with space, so I choose only statues that I really like. I have similar fetish I had with Lego, wanting all the existing statues in MOTU series (first Sideshow ones, now Tweeterhead, plus PCS Battlecat), but in SW I really stay with what I like and must have (such as some of the Mythos - Vader, Ventress, Maul). I think the only way to keep it down is to have given space for the statues and really choose what I need because it will take the valuable space. When no more space, choose which to sell and replace it. Not to buy new showcases for new statues, but keep limited "space budget" that will not allow you to get the collecting problem grow too big.

I can offer my experience with collecting adiction. I was collecting Lego models. Starting in 2000, I had all the UCS (Ultimate Collectors Series, the most detailed and huge Star Wars models). I had every UCS model that was out there. Then started collecting modular buildings (great looking buildings, with intricate details on them), then normal Star Wars models, Lord of the Rings models, Winter village models, Egypt adventures models. It became too much. And when I had all the previous models, it was impossible to miss any new one, I would be missing it in my collection. The space for the models became problem, as well as money for it. So I decided to sell my collection - most of the pieces I sold to private Lego museum, the rest (mostly normal models, not UCS) I sold elsewhere. I learned, that when I did not have the previous models, even though I like the new models, my need for the new models is lowered. I just told myself, why buy this one, when I do not have previous ones. Bought new car with the money I got for Lego.

Then I started collecting statues (PF, 1/5, 1/6, 1/7). I know I am very limited with space, so I choose only statues that I really like. I have similar fetish I had with Lego, wanting all the existing statues in MOTU series (first Sideshow ones, now Tweeterhead, plus PCS Battlecat), but in SW I really stay with what I like and must have (such as some of the Mythos - Vader, Ventress, Maul). I think the only way to keep it down is to have given space for the statues and really choose what I need because it will take the valuable space. When no more space, choose which to sell and replace it. Not to buy new showcases for new statues, but keep limited "space budget" that will not allow you to get the collecting problem grow too big.
I feel you on that "throw it all away to escape buying more" bit. Luckily I haven't bought enough in my life to face that problem, but I don't want to reach that point, which is why I'm trying to be as selective as I can even now. The hard thing, as you said, is that you're pulled to complete sets and sometimes you don't even care enough about what you buy, you just do it for completionism reasons. But it is hard to "break" sets, that's true as well.

I had to let go of my DX09 Batman and Medicom FMA Alphonse. The rubber suit on the Batman was breaking down and Alphonse’s feet were turning sticky. I spent today pulping a few Hot Toys boxes. Somewhere out there, a collector is having aneurysm, but it had to be done. They take up precious space.

I had to let go of my DX09 Batman and Medicom FMA Alphonse. The rubber suit on the Batman was breaking down and Alphonse’s feet were turning sticky. I spent today pulping a few Hot Toys boxes. Somewhere out there, a collector is having aneurysm, but it had to be done. They take up precious space.
can't you sell the boxes someone might be interested for few bucks (plus local shipping/pickups)

can't you sell the boxes someone might be interested for few bucks (plus local shipping/pickups)
Under other circumstances, I would have listed them on eBay and taken my time selling them. However, I’ve had problems with mould and the last couple of months has been one long task to triage, clean and sanitise my belongings. It’s like spring cleaning but worse, you have to isolate items that are mouldy or potentially mould affected and this takes time.

How did you manage to do it? Have you trimmed down your collection to just your few absolute favourites or was it just a general reduction?

I'm still generally reducing. Getting rid of small, random items which I've accumulated. But the goal is to get down to the absolute favorites. Avoid a 'cluttered' display and ultimately make any management and passing down of my collection an easy endeavor.

The recent items I've decided to let go are things I've had in storage for years and I've struggled to get them out on display. But display space is limited, and they seem to get bumped for higher priority pieces. I've thought about it and came to some kind of peace in letting them go.

I'm still generally reducing. Getting rid of small, random items which I've accumulated. But the goal is to get down to the absolute favorites. Avoid a 'cluttered' display and ultimately make any management and passing down of my collection an easy endeavor.

The recent items I've decided to let go are things I've had in storage for years and I've struggled to get them out on display. But display space is limited, and they seem to get bumped for higher priority pieces. I've thought about it and came to some kind of peace in letting them go.
I hope you end up with your preferred display! I'm too much of a completionist to get down to just the absolute favourites, but I'm trying to work it so that I can go down to the absolute favourite themes/franchises. I know that I'll never be content unless I buy all the Jedi, even the ones I don't care for, but that's alright since I'm a Warsfan in general. But there's no need for my "Movie Classics" shelf to contain every single memorable character from cinema. I can do without a Rambo for example. And just because I want a Punisher, doesn't mean I'll have to get the entire Street/Dark corner of Marvel with Blade, Ghost Rider and so on. That's more or less how I'm trying to control it. Drop down to the absolute favourite IPs/Themes, then break them off into the absolute favourite subgroups, and from them get the absolute favourite characters. If I did it your way I'd just get maybe 20 or so figures. But I'm not that strong, so I have to go higher. Not "500 figures all around the basement" high, but still, enough that I'd like to trim more.

I think it's been brought up here, but one of the emotions I'm dealing with is guilt. Don't know how I collected for so long to get hit with it now. Maybe I hit middle age and perspective has really set in. I have tons of fantastic items in my collection and I am very thankful. Plenty of collectors would love to have what I do. I think gratitude has set in that what's conflicting me.

I think it's been brought up here, but one of the emotions I'm dealing with is guilt. Don't know how I collected for so long to get hit with it now. Maybe I hit middle age and perspective has really set in. I have tons of fantastic items in my collection and I am very thankful. Plenty of collectors would love to have what I do. I think gratitude has set in that what's conflicting me.
I feel something similar sometimes, even if I haven't reached those numbers. But fo me it's more of a "guilt" of leaving things unfinished, so to speak. Not getting that Omni or that figure to represent that thing or the other. It's not a positive mindset though, as it can lead you towards hoarding, which is why I'm trying to cut it down. But I've felt this "guilt of graditude" with some other lines and things. It feels good to own a couple of specific items, and when you focus on them the noise of all the clutter clears.

i haven't bought any collectible for quite some time. i do still buy stuffs but they are more "expendable" like model kits that i work on, or toys like playmobil, tiny cars, stuffs that don't really take up much space or cost a bomb. but still gotta be careful about the spendings.

Well as one said: "You can't have everything, where would you put it?"

You know, probably one of the most (if not, THE most) joyous aspects of collecting is, just simply experiencing the collectibles in person. Having them there before you and getting to 'play' with them, soak in their details, articulation, presence, that's a simple yet grand splendor.

With that I've come to note, I do not wish to own every single figure out there. For instance, I mildly contemplated getting the Mandalorian Scout Trooper with Speeder because it'd be a nice experience to see it, but, I have no desire to own it.

Well as one said: "You can't have everything, where would you put it?"

You know, probably one of the most (if not, THE most) joyous aspects of collecting is, just simply experiencing the collectibles in person. Having them there before you and getting to 'play' with them, soak in their details, articulation, presence, that's a simple yet grand splendor.

With that I've come to note, I do not wish to own every single figure out there. For instance, I mildly contemplated getting the Mandalorian Scout Trooper with Speeder because it'd be a nice experience to see it, but, I have no desire to own it.
Well said. I recently moved cross country and we bought a house that is not conducive for displaying roughly 90% of my collection. I am going to have to be very creative in shoehorning any displays that will look good and also be acceptable to my wife in this environment. We both agreed this is not going to be our forever home (the housing market is bonkers everywhere now), but placing a pause on displaying the figures does not mean the eventual pre-order deliveries stop. At this point I have about 10 figures that I have either not opened or only opened to inspect.

The other thing I have been collecting for years is vinyl LPs. I have over 800 of them and I finally have a place to put all of them. I also got a killer new stereo, so re-experiencing records I bought in the 80's up to today has been a huge offset from the estrangement of my figures. For now.

I don't want to say that money is not the factor, but no I am not falling behind on the mortgage or anything like that. I do get some nagging about how can I spend that amount of money on stuff that doesn't do anything. But it does for me...I see it...it makes me happy by bringing back old memories as a child and all of that stuff. I guess my main problem is saying NO. I can almost justify every item they make. So that is why I have considered only buying Vader stuff. Still will be expensive especially if I buy a bust or legendary scale figure.

Back