How To Beat Collecting Addiction.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What? Why are folks here talking about what happens to their collection when they die?

LOL ... why not?

Firstly, your toy expenditure should be viewed as a personal consumption. If that personal consumption is eating into what you could potentially leave behind for your kids than you’re spending way way way too much.

If you got the balance right than it’s perfectly fine to enjoy the fruits of your labour during your lifetime. You should be perfectly fine with your kids throwing your collection out when you’re gone. I think it should be viewed as a sunk cost so to speak.

Sure, but it's not always about money. For myself and many others, it's about making it easy for those left behind to clean up after you. What mattered to you won't necessarily matter to them, and they will need to dispose of it one way or the other. A massive collection can be donated or sent to landfill (the latter opens up a whole other discussion regarding sustainability but setting that aside for now) but it still presents time and logistical issues for your heirs, whatever the case may be.

For me it has nothing to do with money and what monetary inheritance I leave behind. It has to do with leaving behind to loved ones the burden of having to deal with a pile of, let's face it, junk.

Yep.

This is a very interesting thread. I have a pretty substantial statue and 1/6 scale collection in a large basement/home office. I'd like to think I've got years and years of enjoyment left but at some point it will become a burden to my children. I think I'm going to set out on a mission this week to catalog all the stuff and put corresponding info on box location in the attic/storage so if something does happen to me they're able to maximize the value of the collection. I am a long way from considering selling it off myself as I've got another 15 years of working and as a full-time remote worker, my office makes the day a whole lot brighter :)

LOL ... why not?

Sure, but it's not always about money. For myself and many others, it's about making it easy for those left behind to clean up after you. What mattered to you won't necessarily matter to them, and they will need to dispose of it one way or the other. A massive collection can be donated or sent to landfill (the latter opens up a whole other discussion regarding sustainability but setting that aside for now) but it still presents time and logistical issues for your heirs, whatever the case may be.

Yep.

This thread has been helpful with the insights of others, great discussions. Taking one's mortality in mind, I've thought about what would happen to one's collection, and I've found this video from a collector:

I have beat my Hot Toys collecting habit by being bored to ***** with their releases!! On look Boba Fett's sitting on a chair.....(figure).
i am lucky i was never a completlist, or even brand chasing, and only buys things i like, the downside is you end up with wide range of stuffs you like from different makers, instead of only say 1000 Hot Toys figures, you might end up with more lol. It would be easier to unload a full range of Hot Toys Avengers than mixes of brands.

But i do know many people collect based on the Brands. Same way many watch collectors only buy Rolex.

LOL ... why not?

Yep.
I agree, I mean, I’ve been to estate sales, and even when i worked in telecoms and went to a lot of people’s houses, incidentally houses that I serviced in the past and finding out that the previous tenants died, I met this widow whose husband died a decade earlier, she was getting treated for lung cancer and she was getting a landline installed for lifealert, they used to visit every single flea market across the US so their entire house was completely filled wall to wall with flea market goodies, they amassed soooo much items and they had no kids, so just imagine when she passed away… all that was sorted out and sold in an estate sale, someone has to do it and the only person who wins is the bidder, she did have rare pieces worth thousands but still you never do know what can happen.

That was a huge eye opener for me I guess.

But seriously I faced my mortality in the military, but I never realized how short life really is until I walked down the halls of customers homes seeing their entire life on the walls, I’m looking at the customer and seeing their young kids be adults and have their grandkids playing around The house, sometimes the furniture is always old, but it was rare to find old couples with new stuff.

I began to sell my collection of extra stuff I impulse bought and it turned to be a huge nightmare, the only person who knows the real value is of course the collector, sometimes selling price wasn’t even close to what I paid for the items so I just learned to simplify it to stuff I like and not just trying to complete entire collections.

The best thing one can do is to tell them to do their research on what they are selling but who knows if our kids will be into the same things we were into so I don’t know

I have had feelings associated with my collecting habits, sometimes rethinking why I'm ordering these figures. See a lot of cool releases from HT in the Star Wars sector, most though are stuff I never had an interest in as a figure. Still, I put some of them on order. It might be what some call fear of missing out, or a completionist mindset in some respect. Sometimes I get drawn into the hype in some of the threads. But if it doesn’t feel right in some degree, it won’t matter if the figure will be $800 on the aftermarket and cool on the display, initial feelings will make it look/feel bland.

Anyway, started a spreadsheet yesterday listing all figures, items and upcoming releases on order. Gives a good overview on what everything costs, what's yet to be fixed is to add current market value. It will be easier to then part ways with some of the things and to also know exactly how much money on shipping and taxes they they've carried.

Onto collecting habits, when have you felt enough us enough and sold off a large quantity of your collection? I sometimes feel like doing so, since I have a hard time letting go of some of the stuff. By selling everything off in a gowould neglect the deciding-factor of what to sell.

Interesting thread, will follow for more thoughts and discussion.

I like a lot of different things and like to have some from everything rather than all of one or two things. I lean towards Marvel comics and MCU, but I like Optimus Prime, Voltron or Edward Elric (Fullmetal Alchemist) more than most Marvel characters, so I am going to get the ThreeZero DLX Optimus Prime from the Bumblebee movie and a G1 Masterpiece size figure over Ant-Man or Captain Marvel.

Like Chainedstream mentioned, I have a spreadsheet where I have all my figures with a status (Own/Pre-Ordered) field and a buy cost field. It helps when you see you have over a hundred figures and makes you think - do I really need this many? Ultimately for me, I don't want to set a number's limit, but I do want to ensure what I do have are figures of characters that reasonate with me. This is why I have multiple Spider-Man, Captain America, Luke Skywalker and Optimus Prime figures, but debate whether I need a War Machine figure and whether to keep my Star-Lord figure. I do sometimes prune my collection though and I recently sold my Hot Toys Night Monkey Spidey, as I decided the black and red upgrade suit plus Mysterio is enough to represent Far From Home.

As some of you may know, Evangelion finally concluded with the release of 3.0+1.0 in non-Japanese markets. So I set aside some time, rewatched it, and prepared for Thrice Upon A Time. Sunday came, I gathered all the ingredients of a good night's watch, and sat down to enjoy it. I won't write a review, but I'll say that the ending got to me. It really did. I'm in a pretty tough spot these last few years, for various reasons, so the more optimistic and "real", yet wholesome, take of a grown up Anno, over the non-defeatist but melancholic end of EoE written by a depressed Anno, hit harder. I mention this because, once again, Anno tried to tell the Hikikomoris and all such assorted people, or just generally the fans down on their luck and stuck in escapism, to stop worrying about made-up nonsense and go and live their life. Now, I, and I doubt anyone here for that matter, am not that far gone. I left obsessing over fictional worlds behind me. The fanfics and the lore memorizations and everything. I keep track of certain IPs, but I'm not using them to escape reality. I am attached to certain things, but they don't require a daily investment. I have my obstacles to overcome, but that's another discussion.

Anyway, after I finished the movie I let it settle a bit. I started looking around. As I've said before, aside from a line or two, I never had a proper "collection" in the sense of having tons of Hasbro figures, ToyBiz Marvel and the such. I had my Lego (now in storage), my vidya, the odd comics I'd find (mostly Euro stuff and Ultimate Marvel), that one imported line (Minimates) and so on. So, when I looked around, I noticed various things. My books, in the library I'm still building. The hundreds upon hundreds of singles (comics) in their cardboard boxes. The ever-growing Hardcovers/Omnis/Absolutes. My 1/6th figures. The trunk with all my Minimates. My Doom Shelf. Some have been left behind, but more or less so far so good, these are all things that I have a connection to. The comic series I never finished have been thrown away, my HCs are of series I love, my books are mostly things that I enjoyed and didn't read as a chore, and so on. Then my eye fell upon my external HDs. The movie still rattled inside my head, so I started going through them. I have tons of stuff in there, from language packs to music. But really, it was the one with my TBs of comics and general Pop Culture entertainment that I wanted to check. I wanted to see just what I'd "saved" there. And it was a lot. A lot of series. Packs of entire imprints, some with things I'd never even heard of. Chronological Packs of characters with little importance to me. Just... a ton of "things". They weren't favourites put in a disk to be saved no matter what, they were a completionist's collection of data.

I like making lists, so usually I revise my wants. Across all media and licenses, I sit down sometimes and I list all the figures I'd, ideally, like to own. And I write and I write. Of course then I start crossing off names; it's part of the fun, really. Last time I did it, just for the 1/6th stuff, I reached a number of around 300 characters. Excluding specific looks. Granted, lots of these things will never get made in dolly format, but still... 300? Do I really need 300 figures? I cross-referenced that list when the things saved in my HDs. Everything was there. Some of my absolute favourite movies alongside a capebook I read 5 years ago and remember it, or 80GBs of a character's entire publishing history because a decade ago I randomly bought a toy of his. It was pure insanity. It cheapened the things I genuinely enjoyed, maybe even "loved" (as much as you can love such things) and it was just ugly. Files upon files upon files. Why was all that clutter there? Can't I just choose? What am I, some parasite that latches onto everything that it encounters? The credit song and the final scenes kept being repeated in my head. So I just did what I had to do. I started deleting. And I kept going on and on...

I'm more or less saying the same things, but there's a difference this time. I "felt" just how useless all this is. Logically, we all know it. But to "feel" it is different. I was sitting there, after midnight, in a dark room, and... that was it. Evangelion was, is, over. It's been close to a decade after 3.33 was released. Whether you feel the ending was satisfactoy or not isn't the point. The point is that after all this time, it's over. Lots of other franchises and sagas have ended in their own way, but Eva was just this 90s/00s thing that in a lot of ways shaped the modern otaku/fanboy and internet culture. And now it's gone. Nothing's changed. It all goes on. How could anything do? It's just fiction. And that's Anno's point. Who cares about the lore? It's all fluffy nonsense. He gave us the happy ending and told us to move on. The characters are, and will be, fine. We have to care for ourselves. It's a retread, but this time with a joyous and optimistic tone, of EoE. That's all well and good, but what got me was that it's over. How many other things have I finished? How many shows? How many runs? How many? I can't even remember. Gone and forgotten. Nothing gained. Only time lost. How many backlogs do I have? How filled are they? I thought about all those things and I just felt empty. It’s not just the time. It’s that there are very few things that could get a definitive closure and affect me as much as Eva. And now Eva is over. And the world goes on. So why bother with all the rest? Literally why? Am I still looking to pick up new interests in the realm of pop culture decades into my finite life? There’s no argument to do so. No reason to create attachments to anything new, or stoke long-burned-out fires. I didn't want to finish my backlogs. I didn't want to remember the things that didn't immediately spring to mind. I was content with just the few that instantly lit up in my mind. I liked that. I liked having a genuine connection with an, ultimately "worthless", piece of media that did affect me. How could I possibly equate that with something of miniscule interest to me? It's insulting. It's ugly. How can I spend 300 euros on a character I love, and do the same for another because... X goes with Y next to Z, I suppose? No.

I came out of this whole thing having stripped down my planning down to the essentials. I'll still watch a film on Saturdays, catch a cool new show, like the recently concluded "The North Water" for example, and so on. I'm not burning it all down. I've already drastically trimmed my consumption of entertainment compared to the past, so it's not that. It's just that I decided to choose. I decided to choose only the ones that truly matter to me. For superficial and silly reasons yes, but reasons enough to drop that 300 and feel good about it. It's not that I dread the clutter or the money or anything. Obviously they're major factors, but it's something bigger. I don't want the "dead weight". I don't want to look at a piece of memorabilia and feel disinterest. I don't want to waste the time to remain updated and buy useless things and find the best way to display them and on and on. I don't want to buy a bunch of characters I don't care for just to complete a specific iteration of a team. I don't want a huge, sprawling room full of plastic memorabilia that ultimately have no "weight" behind them and exist just because consuming is easier than choosing.

Personally, I want to pass down my collection. It's a part of me and I want those that follow me to gain an insight into me, even with something as silly as my favourite characters represented by realistic and expensive dollies. It's important to me. I want every piece to have a story. And I intend to assemble a great, coherent storybook, not a series of nonsensical vignettes. Variety will of course be present, but the kind that is a part of me, not variety for its own sake. After all, this is the entire point of collecting all these. Representations of the parts of our inner child. Materialised and kept in stasis. A way to keep our infantile side in check and alive.

I'm rambling again. But the film just got to me and made me face some things I'd been deluding myself about for a long time. I knew them, but I suppose it just hit the right chords. I've been writting this for too long, and time's too fleeting. For the first time in a while I don't feel conflicted. And especially in this. If I want to say something about reigning in the habit of overconsumption, it's that ultimately everything fades. But while the majority fades to nothingness, some leave some faint flickers behind. Latch onto these. Focus there. The rest is of no consequence. Buy the things that, if your eyes fall upon them one night, will form a smile. That's it. It might seem scary at first, but letting go is a wonderful feeling. It's what makes what remains all the more special.

1629112140764.jpg

Last edited:
We should start a thread to discuss the movie now that international audiences finally got to see it.

I was lucky enough to see it in IMAX on opening day here in Japan with a sold out crowd.

I liked some of it....I was bored with some of it....and I felt emotional when it was over. But I felt sad for the wrong reasons. Evangelion was part of my life since 1996 and it's "ended" before but this was the super duper for real we mean it this time ending. And I got really sad when the ending theme came up cause I knew that meant no more Evangelion.

Looking back now, months later, I think it was actually a pretty lazy and unsatisfying ending, and overall, the entire "Rebuild" project was pointless with the exception of how amazing the second movie was. (The first one was by far the biggest waste of time; just a shot for shot remake of the first several episodes. I loved the second one though.)

I'm happy for Hideaki Anno now that he seems like he's conquered his demons and is living a seemingly normal life; but inserting his "wife" character into the movies and especially her role in the finale as the "magical pixie dream girl" that is cheerful and bubbly and makes everyone happy just kind of soured me.

All in all, I prefer End of Evangelion. It's more beautifully animated, and it's a dark and ugly story, and it's a downer, but it's always gonna be the "real" ending to me. This Shin Evangelion stuff just feels like fan fic with a big budget.

Anyway, it's interesting to see the reactions of people finally seeing this for themselves instead of just reading spoilers online (seriously....who does that for something they REALLY wanna see?? I don't get that!) but I try to stay out of discussions about what Eva means. Everyone is always SOOO damn sure that their personal interpretation is the ONLY correct way to look at it, and it gets old quick. Personally, I think Anno is a lot like George Lucas....he started a story and made big promises and it got bigger and bigger in people's minds, but he had no idea how to actually make it come together. I think all this stuff was just thrown together on the fly. None of the scenes from the "previews" were even IN the movies. They were just making it all up as they went. Which is fine....it's just some weird David Lynch style insanity....but it drives me nuts when someone insists they "know" what Evangelion "represents" and all that stuff.

A great example is the commentary track on the EoE DVD....by the damn English voice actors!! They wax on and on about what each shot is supposed to represent, as if they have a ******* clue. All they ever did was show up in a recording studio and read some lines (poorly)....

There are things I really really enjoy, but don't want anything to do with the fandom. Evangelion is one of them.....being a TOOL fan is another. Man, I really love TOOL. They're awesome and they make awesome music. But have you ever talked to a hardcore TOOL fan? What a bunch of fine fellows!

I am in the process of moving cross country. For many years, I have squirreled away boxes of toys here and there across my 3 br apartment. Getting them all out in the open is a revelation. I feel like such a hoarder. I don't want to get rid of any of them, but the sheer volume of seeing them all in my living room is a bit overwhelming. packing them up and putting them back in the boxes was an emotional experience as well; knowing I won't see any of them for the better part of a year until we get settled is another experience.
Yeah, it is always very sobering and in some ways scary to expose everything you own.

You assemble things one piece at a time over many years, and you squirrel things away, consolidate multiple items in a single box etc, but taking it all out and seeing it laid out can be an important step to cutting back.

We should start a thread to discuss the movie now that international audiences finally got to see it.
It surprises me that there hasn't even been a post in the general Eva thread.

I was lucky enough to see it in IMAX on opening day here in Japan with a sold out crowd.

I liked some of it....I was bored with some of it....and I felt emotional when it was over. But I felt sad for the wrong reasons. Evangelion was part of my life since 1996 and it's "ended" before but this was the super duper for real we mean it this time ending. And I got really sad when the ending theme came up cause I knew that meant no more Evangelion.
That must have been an experience. I just watched it on my PC.

I'm not one of the "originals", I'm from the 00s era. But even in my parts, where the internet was still dial-up even towards the end of the 00s, Eva was a big part of internet culture. All those years I've finished a lot of long-running tv shows, comic series and everything inbetween. Very few hit me as hard, or even at all. I've been with the MCU since it started, but it's always been just a bargain bin version of the comics, so I felt nothing with Endgame. But Secret Wars (2015), the end of Ultimate Marvel? Those things did affect me, even a bit. But again, across the sea of long-form media I've consumed, very little had any impact. That's what made me really sit down and reflect about all this. Just how many hours had I poured on fictional entertainment, only for maybe 10% to really stick with me? What's the point of all this? Is this really the only way I can pass the time? It's obviously not. Back when my life was more ordained I didn't have these compulsions to "finish" things "just because". Why do I feel this need to "complete" it all? I'll never manage to do that. There'll always be something that I could find "cool" or "enjoyable". Yet no matter how many things I finish, nothing will change. Such entertainment makes an impact on us during the first few years of our lives. After that it's diminishing returns. It's worthless to try and get into new things well past adulthood. Then you just find comfort in the old and seek new art, not new pop entertainment.

Looking back now, months later, I think it was actually a pretty lazy and unsatisfying ending, and overall, the entire "Rebuild" project was pointless with the exception of how amazing the second movie was. (The first one was by far the biggest waste of time; just a shot for shot remake of the first several episodes. I loved the second one though.)

I'm happy for Hideaki Anno now that he seems like he's conquered his demons and is living a seemingly normal life; but inserting his "wife" character into the movies and especially her role in the finale as the "magical pixie dream girl" that is cheerful and bubbly and makes everyone happy just kind of soured me.
People are torn on it, but I think it fits. It's too feel-good for Eva, and maybe sappy, but after all this time, it just makes you happy to see them all get their happy ending. Anno got through his depressive period and I suppose he wants to tell his fans that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. In all the interviews he always pretends to not care, but I don't think that's true. If he truly hated Eva he'd have burned it all to the ground. In his way, he cares about the fanbase he chastizes and that's why the ending is the way it is.

I read an interview (can't find it now) where he says that Mari is the optimist that has no baggage, no pretensions, she just "is". And it makes sense. I wouldn't describe her as a MPDGF. Tons of those were created in the 10s and she's not similar to them. At least IMHO. The MPDGF is "quirky" and "cooky" and "does things differently" and is the answer in the lonely social inexperienced guy's life. Mari's playful and bold, but not in the annoying way of the MPDGF. She's the contrast between Shinji, Rei and Asuka, who are saddled with issues and pilot Evas because of them. Mari just enjoys piloting them. She enjoys life. Now, all the lore added about her is a tad weird, but it's besides the point. She's the "real" character that Shinji gets when he enters the "real" world. She's just a person who enjoys what she does.

People are pissed that their ship didn't come out on top. And it makes sense. Modern waifuwars came from Asuka vs. Rei after all. But if either won, the ending wouldn't work the way it was intended. Mari is the random character that drops into Shinji's life and "wins". And that's the point. That's life. For the vast majority of people, their partner isn't their childhood friend, first crush/love, someone they have all this huge and important history with. Sometimes you just bump on a person, completely at random, and something blossoms. Shinji leaves his complicated past behind. Like Anno tells us, he leaves escapism behind. And Shinji, the analogue to the NEET/Hikikomori, after he's gotten rid of his escapism, starts fading. The effects starts disappearing and we reach the storyboards. But then Mari drops in and life comes back. She's the random event. And that's what it comes down to. Life's unpredictable. Something happens, it gives way to something else and so it goes.

I understand why people don't like Mari, her "winning" or the ending. But thematically, I feel it does work. Like EoE was a reflection of Anno's depression, and his struggle to keep going, TUAT is his affirmation that it is worth it in the end. Shinji leaves escapism behind and joins the real world. He happens to get a gf. We see Kaworu, Asuka and Rei on that platform, each with their own lives. It's blunt in its message, but I think the fact that it's earnest makes it work. Anno tells all those scared, isolated people to just take a step. That if he could do it, then so can they. I think it's also why the lore bits got so confusing and were spat out one after the other. It ended up being ridiculous and that's the point. He's saying to all those loremasters that it doesn't matter. It's all made up nonsense. They know more about a fictional universe's timeline than about their own nation's history. Life may be mundane, as Shinji just becomes a salaryman most probably, but it's real and unpredictable and tangible. It's about those things that, may not be immense, but are worth the effort. The timeskip is small and sweet. It reassures you that everything is okay. You can let go of these characters and universe, it's all over and everything's fine. "God's in his heaven all's right with the world".

It's not a groundbreaking take or anything, but after decades, it's an ending that gives you closure and release. As far as I'm concerned, it worked.

All in all, I prefer End of Evangelion. It's more beautifully animated, and it's a dark and ugly story, and it's a downer, but it's always gonna be the "real" ending to me. This Shin Evangelion stuff just feels like fan fic with a big budget.
As an artistic piece, EoE is obviously the better of the two. It's a great standalone piece and it has more merit. And you can argue that it's ending is more important by virtue of being relatively optimistic, in a realistic way, amidst all the suffering that it portrays. Even left thoroughly alone, and finally getting what he thought he wanted, an end to all his problems, Shinji still rejects Instrumentality and accepts his individuality in the real world. Even Asuka makes it back. So if these two screwed up kids, in that screwed up world, can make the effort, then not all is hopeless. For a depressed Anno to end on that note, instead of going full miseryporn, the ending is elevated. On that front I doubt anyone will disagree.

However, I do prefer the definitive ending of TUAT. After all these years it's just cathartic. Eva was always a series that was aimed at a specific demographic, so the final message hits.

Anyway, it's interesting to see the reactions of people finally seeing this for themselves instead of just reading spoilers online (seriously....who does that for something they REALLY wanna see?? I don't get that!) but I try to stay out of discussions about what Eva means. Everyone is always SOOO damn sure that their personal interpretation is the ONLY correct way to look at it, and it gets old quick. Personally, I think Anno is a lot like George Lucas....he started a story and made big promises and it got bigger and bigger in people's minds, but he had no idea how to actually make it come together. I think all this stuff was just thrown together on the fly. None of the scenes from the "previews" were even IN the movies. They were just making it all up as they went. Which is fine....it's just some weird David Lynch style insanity....but it drives me nuts when someone insists they "know" what Evangelion "represents" and all that stuff.

A great example is the commentary track on the EoE DVD....by the damn English voice actors!! They wax on and on about what each shot is supposed to represent, as if they have a ******* clue. All they ever did was show up in a recording studio and read some lines (poorly)....

There are things I really really enjoy, but don't want anything to do with the fandom. Evangelion is one of them.....being a TOOL fan is another. Man, I really love TOOL. They're awesome and they make awesome music. But have you ever talked to a hardcore TOOL fan? What a bunch of fine fellows!
I think Anno's gone on record in saying that he makes stuff up as he goes along. There's no "grand plan" or "Bible" before setting to do something. Which is why there might be inconsistencies, but also why the IP reflects his state of mind each time. I think you can look back and infer the meaning, it's just that it depends on each instalment and has more to do with the underlaying themes instead of the imagery, lore and aesthetics. Anno's added more stuff than most think, the whole "lmao it's just aesthetics bro, I don't know jack haha" is mostly an act, to make people focus on the drama instead of the allegories, but it's true that not everything in it is some hidden clue.

After all is said and done, I'm glad it's a journey I took. It wasn't just a thing I watched, it actually stuck with me.

1629079947917.jpg

I'm obviously still here, so I'm not going to sell my floppies and go cancel my POs. A lot of people swing to the far end of the other side, and refuse to acknowledge that they enjoy even the smallest sample of such "childish banalities". That's just asking for a relapse. No, you need to sit down and jsut choose. Follow your sentimentality. I'm not throwing everything out on the trashcan. But I'm slowing down because I finally feel the need to, instead of just knowing that it's the logical thing to not go overboard. I know what I want from this hobby now. I've let go of my need to just keep on going indefinitely. There's an end to all this and that's how it should be. These are just material representations of our inherent infantile obsessions. And that's not a bad thing. But that's all they should be. It's why I want a JonCon, even if I've outgrown my teen edge phase. It's why he "matters" as a character, and why someone similar, but from something I've never engaged with, doesn't. This whole hobby is based on emotional attachment. It's healthy to indulge it, but in a restrained manner, otherwise all that'll remain will be regret over your losses.

Last edited:
Yeah, it is always very sobering and in some ways scary to expose everything you own.

You assemble things one piece at a time over many years, and you squirrel things away, consolidate multiple items in a single box etc, but taking it all out and seeing it laid out can be an important step to cutting back.
this is why i felt, it might actually be better to focus on a few set of toys or figures, like build them up and customize them and improve the over time little by little, so at the end of few decades, you still have like a handful of figures, that maybe worth some money due to the details you put in.

for most people, it is way too easy to click your mouse to preorder or make a purchase, open the box and put them on display. when a purchase is just few clicks away, you end up with tons of stuffs, not just toys, pretty much anyone the buys non-essential stuffs will face this issue.

when we buy things in store, we have to carry them to the counter, to the car, back into the house, but when we buy online, everything gets delivered to your home 1 by 1, so you might not actually realize how big they are.

for most people, it is way too easy to click your mouse to preorder or make a purchase, open the box and put them on display. when a purchase is just few clicks away, you end up with tons of stuffs, not just toys, pretty much anyone the buys non-essential stuffs will face this issue.
This is me at the moment. Have bought a few figures, not really sure where to put them. I haven't even unboxed my Qui-Gonn, Dooku, Royal guard or Cody because of not knowing where to display em. It feels a bit unecessary, at the moment, to pre-order new figures when I do not "take care" of what I have.

FOMO-factor combined with a minor completeionist mindset and my interest in the hobby are what makes me order some of the new SW stuff. I mean, these are expensive figures, not 3 inch Hasbro figures one(most collectors) just army-build in absurdum.

this is why i felt, it might actually be better to focus on a few set of toys or figures, like build them up and customize them and improve the over time little by little, so at the end of few decades, you still have like a handful of figures, that maybe worth some money due to the details you put in.
This is something I would probably be up to do! Would also calm my nerves with pleather parts, searching for real-leather alternetives to the figure. Like a new jacket to the MMS 238.

OK that horrible looking skull face dude in the video had a good point. Minimum I should do is create an inventory of the figures I have, which version, and where to sell when I pass. I did a similar inventory with my vinyl records several years ago, and I have WAY more records than figures at this point

This is me at the moment. Have bought a few figures, not really sure where to put them. I haven't even unboxed my Qui-Gonn, Dooku, Royal guard or Cody because of not knowing where to display em. It feels a bit unecessary, at the moment, to pre-order new figures when I do not "take care" of what I have.

FOMO-factor combined with a minor completeionist mindset and my interest in the hobby are what makes me order some of the new SW stuff. I mean, these are expensive figures, not 3 inch Hasbro figures one(most collectors) just army-build in absurdum.

This is something I would probably be up to do! Would also calm my nerves with pleather parts, searching for real-leather alternetives to the figure. Like a new jacket to the MMS 238.

Same :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I still haven't unboxed some figures I've previously received.

As some of you may know, Evangelion finally concluded with the release of 3.0+1.0 in non-Japanese markets. So I set aside some time, rewatched it, and prepared for Thrice Upon A Time. Sunday came, I gathered all the ingredients of a good night's watch, and sat down to enjoy it. I won't write a review, but I'll say that the ending got to me. It really did. I'm in a pretty tough spot these last few years, for various reasons, so the more optimistic and "real", yet wholesome, take of a grown up Anno, over the non-defeatist but melancholic end of EoE written by a depressed Anno, hit harder. I mention this because, once again, Anno tried to tell the Hikikomoris and all such assorted people, or just generally the fans down on their luck and stuck in escapism, to stop worrying about made-up nonsense and go and live their life. Now, I, and I doubt anyone here for that matter, am not that far gone. I left obsessing over fictional worlds behind me. The fanfics and the lore memorizations and everything. I keep track of certain IPs, but I'm not using them to escape reality. I am attached to certain things, but they don't require a daily investment. I have my obstacles to overcome, but that's another discussion.

Anyway, after I finished the movie I let it settle a bit. I started looking around. As I've said before, aside from a line or two, I never had a proper "collection" in the sense of having tons of Hasbro figures, ToyBiz Marvel and the such. I had my Lego (now in storage), my vidya, the odd comics I'd find (mostly Euro stuff and Ultimate Marvel), that one imported line (Minimates) and so on. So, when I looked around, I noticed various things. My books, in the library I'm still building. The hundreds upon hundreds of singles (comics) in their cardboard boxes. The ever-growing Hardcovers/Omnis/Absolutes. My 1/6th figures. The trunk with all my Minimates. My Doom Shelf. Some have been left behind, but more or less so far so good, these are all things that I have a connection to. The comic series I never finished have been thrown away, my HCs are of series I love, my books are mostly things that I enjoyed and didn't read as a chore, and so on. Then my eye fell upon my external HDs. The movie still rattled inside my head, so I started going through them. I have tons of stuff in there, from language packs to music. But really, it was the one with my TBs of comics and general Pop Culture entertainment that I wanted to check. I wanted to see just what I'd "saved" there. And it was a lot. A lot of series. Packs of entire imprints, some with things I'd never even heard of. Chronological Packs of characters with little importance to me. Just... a ton of "things". They weren't favourites put in a disk to be saved no matter what, they were a completionist's collection of data.

I like making lists, so usually I revise my wants. Across all media and licenses, I sit down sometimes and I list all the figures I'd, ideally, like to own. And I write and I write. Of course then I start crossing off names; it's part of the fun, really. Last time I did it, just for the 1/6th stuff, I reached a number of around 300 characters. Excluding specific looks. Granted, lots of these things will never get made in dolly format, but still... 300? Do I really need 300 figures? I cross-referenced that list when the things saved in my HDs. Everything was there. Some of my absolute favourite movies alongside a capebook I read 5 years ago and remember it, or 80GBs of a character's entire publishing history because a decade ago I randomly bought a toy of his. It was pure insanity. It cheapened the things I genuinely enjoyed, maybe even "loved" (as much as you can love such things) and it was just ugly. Files upon files upon files. Why was all that clutter there? Can't I just choose? What am I, some parasite that latches onto everything that it encounters? The credit song and the final scenes kept being repeated in my head. So I just did what I had to do. I started deleting. And I kept going on and on...

I'm more or less saying the same things, but there's a difference this time. I "felt" just how useless all this is. Logically, we all know it. But to "feel" it is different. I was sitting there, after midnight, in a dark room, and... that was it. Evangelion was, is, over. It's been close to a decade after 3.33 was released. Whether you feel the ending was satisfactoy or not isn't the point. The point is that after all this time, it's over. Lots of other franchises and sagas have ended in their own way, but Eva was just this 90s/00s thing that in a lot of ways shaped the modern otaku/fanboy and internet culture. And now it's gone. Nothing's changed. It all goes on. How could anything do? It's just fiction. And that's Anno's point. Who cares about the lore? It's all fluffy nonsense. He gave us the happy ending and told us to move on. The characters are, and will be, fine. We have to care for ourselves. It's a retread, but this time with a joyous and optimistic tone, of EoE. That's all well and good, but what got me was that it's over. How many other things have I finished? How many shows? How many runs? How many? I can't even remember. Gone and forgotten. Nothing gained. Only time lost. How many backlogs do I have? How filled are they? I thought about all those things and I just felt empty. It’s not just the time. It’s that there are very few things that could get a definitive closure and affect me as much as Eva. And now Eva is over. And the world goes on. So why bother with all the rest? Literally why? Am I still looking to pick up new interests in the realm of pop culture decades into my finite life? There’s no argument to do so. No reason to create attachments to anything new, or stoke long-burned-out fires. I didn't want to finish my backlogs. I didn't want to remember the things that didn't immediately spring to mind. I was content with just the few that instantly lit up in my mind. I liked that. I liked having a genuine connection with an, ultimately "worthless", piece of media that did affect me. How could I possibly equate that with something of miniscule interest to me? It's insulting. It's ugly. How can I spend 300 euros on a character I love, and do the same for another because... X goes with Y next to Z, I suppose? No.

I came out of this whole thing having stripped down my planning down to the essentials. I'll still watch a film on Saturdays, catch a cool new show, like the recently concluded "The North Water" for example, and so on. I'm not burning it all down. I've already drastically trimmed my consumption of entertainment compared to the past, so it's not that. It's just that I decided to choose. I decided to choose only the ones that truly matter to me. For superficial and silly reasons yes, but reasons enough to drop that 300 and feel good about it. It's not that I dread the clutter or the money or anything. Obviously they're major factors, but it's something bigger. I don't want the "dead weight". I don't want to look at a piece of memorabilia and feel disinterest. I don't want to waste the time to remain updated and buy useless things and find the best way to display them and on and on. I don't want to buy a bunch of characters I don't care for just to complete a specific iteration of a team. I don't want a huge, sprawling room full of plastic memorabilia that ultimately have no "weight" behind them and exist just because consuming is easier than choosing.

Personally, I want to pass down my collection. It's a part of me and I want those that follow me to gain an insight into me, even with something as silly as my favourite characters represented by realistic and expensive dollies. It's important to me. I want every piece to have a story. And I intend to assemble a great, coherent storybook, not a series of nonsensical vignettes. Variety will of course be present, but the kind that is a part of me, not variety for its own sake. After all, this is the entire point of collecting all these. Representations of the parts of our inner child. Materialised and kept in stasis. A way to keep our infantile side in check and alive.

I'm rambling again. But the film just got to me and made me face some things I'd been deluding myself about for a long time. I knew them, but I suppose it just hit the right chords. I've been writting this for too long, and time's too fleeting. For the first time in a while I don't feel conflicted. And especially in this. If I want to say something about reigning in the habit of overconsumption, it's that ultimately everything fades. But while the majority fades to nothingness, some leave some faint flickers behind. Latch onto these. Focus there. The rest is of no consequence. Buy the things that, if your eyes fall upon them one night, will form a smile. That's it. It might seem scary at first, but letting go is a wonderful feeling. It's what makes what remains all the more special.

1629112140764.jpg
I am speechless at such a ruthless insight into oneself.
I am also sort of glad that, luckily or unluckily enough, I am not in your situation.
Being born in the 70s, I was subjected during my childhood and teens to a healthy diet of what I consider good quality, scifi/fantasy, pop culture nonsense. Not only previous stuff, such as 2001 or LOTR (books, role games, and the animated Bakshi movie), but also contemporary, such as SW OT, Star Trek, Highlander, Flash Gordon, Big Trouble in Little China, Superman, Predator, Alien+Aliens, Willow, Blade Runner, Robocop 1&2, Indiana Jones, ET, Logan's Run, Excalibur, Inner Space, Terminator 1&2, Explorers, Legend, Greystoke, The Abyss, The Golden Child, Die Hard, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, The Shining, Jaws, Mad Max 1&2&3, Enemy Mine, Rambo, Scrooged, The Running Man, Akira, Krull, The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Brainstorm, Little Shop of Horrors, The Thing, Escape From New York, Dark Crystal, Labyrinth, Tron, Conan, The Last Starfighter, Pale Rider, The Goonies, Dune, Gremlins, Coccon, Howard the Duck (yeah, it's great), Ghostbusters, 2010 TYWMC, The Never Ending Story, Octopussy, Never Say Never Again, Back to the Future 1&2&3, and great, lesser known stuff (Firefox, Moontrap, Outland, Batteries not Included, Blue Thunder, D.A.R.Y.L., Flight of the Navigator, Starman, Short Circuit, The Final Countdown, Electric Dreams, The Day After, The Hidden, Year of the Dragon, etc). I am sure forgetting great stuff, and then there were those unforgettable tv shows, too many to list (not only American productions).

There sure was crap - I disliked Burton's Batman, Total Recall, Star Trek 5, etc, and I am sure biased, but for the most part, all those movies are now classics, in spite of their technological shortcomings (as seen today).

BUT
something started changing in the 90s. I guess it was the final triumph of the Neocon Revolution, which finally catched up with, and engulfed Hollywood, putting an end to the 60s Revolution. But somehow, as digital special effects and other industrial aspects of movie making greatly improved (such as financing power, production techniques, or cinematography), movies also started dumbing down and becoming the empty carcasses they feel like to me these days.

Hook, Jurassic Park, Independence Day, Pierce Brosnan's Bond, Alien 3 and 4, The Mummy, The Flintstones, the Batman crap, True Lies, Titanic, the Godzilla crap, all that wildly successful Disney crap, Dick Tracy, SW PT. Heck, I can't even remember more of them because I stopped bothering at some point....

There sure was some good stuff - I loved Forrest Gump, Silence of the Lambs, The Professional, Tremors, Seven, Sleepy Hollow, The Fifth Element (well....sort of), Groundhog Day, Apollo 13, Contact, Pixar's stuff, some sequels carried over from the 80s (T2, Die Hard 2...), and The Matrix and Last Action Hero are amongst my favorites of all time, and I am sure biased, but for the most part, 90s movies became weaker and weaker as the decade went away. I have heard that the trend of absurd pop culture started with the ridiculously bad Independence Day. But nevermind.

My standards and requirements were set in the 70s/80s. Entertainment from that era is my point of reference. Back then I used to dream about how much better future entertainment would be (naive me), and needless to say, in my "extremely demanding" opinion, the last 30+ years have witnessed the demise of Hollywood/USA as a boundary-pushing creative force in the scifi/fantasy realm (setting aside the technological/industrial/non-artistical aspects of movie making, which can only improve, and which I have lost any interest in). Hollywood learnt in the 90s that they should stop caring about artistical values and making the movies artists wanted to make, and rather start making the movies PEOPLE CAN EASILY UNDERSTAND. Stop gambling millions on visionaries that make Blade Runners, only to get broke, and start only manufacturing products approved by technical committees and algorithms, then hire docile and greedy bean-counters-self-styled-artists like JJ Abrams, Ryan Johnson, Peter Jackson, John Favreau or Denis Villeneuve, who will give your corporate product the appearance of something made by an artist. There is a Plinkett review that reproduces a segment of a George Lucas interview in which, discussing his ousting by Disney, he puts quite bluntly where things stand right now: "no risk whatsoever, ever, with our shareholders' cash. Wanna make the next milestone in Cinematic History? Great, but you will have to create those assets with your own resources. Thank you very much.".

From my hard-line old-school perspective, Art and Creativity are synonyms of risk, rebellion and disruption, and those concepts are forever more forbidden in today's USA (UK has followed suit, and Europe... oh... nevermind...). Artists are no longer welcomed, except for window-dressers. Engineers, lawyers and accountants are today's Hollywood's workhorses. Welcome to the Disney Paradigm, where the no-risk requirement has had such an impact in the environment, that in the last decades, art schools have turned into silicon foundries, and the so-called artists they manufacture eat, drink, breath and **** hi-tech Anti-Creativety since the day they are conceived, behaving and performing for the rest of their productive lives as obedient and efficient CPUs in flashy fleshy encapsulations, to just be adored by us, the techno-idiots. By the looks of it, choosing a career path in Movie Making these days is every bit the same as it is in IT, only more showy.

It is not Organic Creative Bankruptcy. It is Anti-Creativity (aka Creative Sterilization), engineered at the top of the food-chain, mixed with ever-impoiving Hi-Tech plus hollow and silly SJW fakeness, and fed to the bottom through teaching, hiring and Corporate Culture (and of course, by example: just look how rich you will get if you just obbey us!). And boy, do people embrace that ****...... both "creators" and audiences...! And (directly or indirectly) presiding over all this, the likes of Bob Iger, George Lucas, Steven Spielberg, James Cameron and Ridley Scott. But don't get me wrong: dumb, desperate-for-idols-to-worship audiences are the real culprits of The End of Art in Movie Making. No one else.

REMARK: I hold no faith on recent fan backslash or youtubers thrashing new movies these days. The same people then swear by the Gods that the SW PT or TFA are fine movies........ :-(

As a result, today's Star Wars and Marvel movies, as almost everything else, are perfectly forgettable and disposable corporate products with a comedic coating on the surface and very clumsy epic at the core, exclusively derivative, made by people who actually hate the franchises they are given, and who deep beneath, beyond the love words in marketing press kits, show a very clear its-just-another-gig-and-another-million-bucks attitude. These movies are perfect fan service tampons which nobody will talk about in 10 years time because everyone will be too busy discussing in Unithought the neuro-FX of the latest Iron Man installment. Meanwhile, the list of wildly succesful, insulting and self-insulting crap goes endlessly on and on: the Predator sequels, the Blade Runner sequel, the Alien prequels, the Harry Potter saga, JJ's Star Trek, the DC stuff, the new Hellboy, Tenet, the Pirates of the Caribbean saga and other Disney crap, Transformers, the Indiana Jones sequel, War of the Worlds, the Godzilla crap, and etc ad nauseam.

There have been flashes in the last 20 years, remembering us what a good movie looks like, but they were not full-blown good movies in my book: Noland's Batman stuff, 2012, First Man, the LOTR and Hobbit trilogies, Inception, Elysium, Legion, King Kong Skull Island, Dredd, Avatar, Predators, CA Winter Soldier, Kingsman, the Robocop remake, etc. And some movies, precious few, were even good (Guy Ritchie's Sherlock Holmes), and I am sure biased, but for the most part, scifi/fantasy movies have gone to hell. Same applies to tv shows: Picard, ST Discovery, and the Mandalorian come to mind (I know nothing... about GoT, so I can't discuss it). REMARK: yeah, HBO's Rome was great, and that's why its fate was what it was.

This old-man movie rant, for what? When I got into collecting (early 2010s), I already knew all the above. I had not gathered so much evidence, but I was already decoupled from my previous fan life mainly because of the dismal turn mainstream scifi/fantasy had take already in the 90s (and because of the SW PT!). Yet, I still suffered of my lifelong need for the beauty of finely crafted stuff that I could physically change and interact with, and so, knowing that my fandom was veeeery finite, and thanks to the Internet, I eventually reconnected with Hasbro's 3.75" SW stuff, then organicly evolved into 1/6, then Hot Toys revolutionized the movie 1/6 niche, Asmus entered the LOTR scene, and wonderful robot pieces popped up everywhere (SSC Raynor & Tychus, HT Ed209, lots of Threezero big pieces). Besides doing a small share of 1987 Predator and 1986 Aliens, and a little bit of Cyberpunk pieces (Akira, Dredd, Robocop, and other dystopian stuff), I eventually discovered a taste for Historical 1/6 (both European and Asian) when Coomodel intoduced their Series of Empire range, and for Sherlock Holmes/Steampunk when some related figs were released. I, an anti-militarist, even regained an interest in GI Joe that extended to that amazing Military 1/6 stuff that is being produced these days (only weapons & equipment). Oh I forgot: in my book, there is only one superheroe, and he is not even that. Batman. I got into that too, but almost only Noland's. Pour in quite a bunch of 1/6 kitbashing, and that is all the collecting I do. I will get a bit into 1/18 planes and helicopters in the future, as well as airsoft, but only for the guns. No fighting in the woods, no cosplaying, no props, no comics (only high quality graphic novels, pdf format, and very rarely; no long over-extending serials). Maybe a few cheap blurays, and I am done with the media.

Well, yes: it got out of hand wrt initial plans, but with the built-in hard limit which always was my aforementioned dislike for everything that is done in the media these days. That makes beating my collection addiction very easy, for I suffer from none. I am just a completist of what I do love, which is not much, and getting to love it took my 30+ years. 85% of all 1/6 done these days, I don't care about.

There is a 1/6 bubble cooking, which will explode when lots of collectors worldwide realise that they are compulsively buying lots of expensive figures of characters (even almost identucal repetitions thereof) they don't even know well, let alone like or love. For really liking and loving takes lots of time and depth, none of which are easy to come across theae days.

Sorry for the long "me" rant.
RfC

PS: my dismal take on movies these days sure bleeds onto music too. To me, John Williams died in 1989, Hans Zimmer does not even exist, and don't get me started about rock/pop these days..... :-(

Last edited:
I am speechless at such a ruthless insight into oneself.
Thank you! It's nice when anyone bothers to read one's blogpost.

I am also sort of glad that, luckily or unluckily enough, I am not in your situation.
Being born in the 70s, I was subjected during my childhood and teens to a healthy diet of what I consider good quality, scifi/fantasy, pop culture nonsense. Not only previous stuff, such as 2001 or LOTR (books, role games, and the animated Bakshi movie), but also contemporary, such as SW OT, Star Trek, Highlander, Flash Gordon, Big Trouble in Little China, Superman, Predator, Alien+Aliens, Willow, Blade Runner, Robocop 1&2, Indiana Jones, ET, Logan's Run, Excalibur, Inner Space, Terminator 1&2, Explorers, Legend, Greystoke, The Abyss, The Golden Child, Die Hard, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, The Shining, Jaws, Mad Max 1&2&3, Enemy Mine, Rambo, Scrooged, The Running Man, Akira, Krull, The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Brainstorm, Little Shop of Horrors, The Thing, Escape From New York, Dark Crystal, Labyrinth, Tron, Conan, The Last Starfighter, Pale Rider, The Goonies, Dune, Gremlins, Coccon, Howard the Duck (yeah, it's great), Ghostbusters, 2010 TYWMC, The Never Ending Story, Octopussy, Never Say Never Again, Back to the Future 1&2&3, and great, lesser known stuff (Firefox, Moontrap, Outland, Batteries not Included, Blue Thunder, D.A.R.Y.L., Flight of the Navigator, Starman, Short Circuit, The Final Countdown, Electric Dreams, The Day After, The Hidden, Year of the Dragon, etc). I am sure forgetting great stuff, and then there were those unforgettable tv shows, too many to list (not only American productions).

There sure was crap - I disliked Burton's Batman, Total Recall, Star Trek 5, etc, and I am sure biased, but for the most part, all those movies are now classics, in spite of their technological shortcomings (as seen today).

BUT
something started changing in the 90s. I guess it was the final triumph of the Neocon Revolution, which finally catched up with, and engulfed Hollywood, putting an end to the 60s Revolution. But somehow, as digital special effects and other industrial aspects of movie making greatly improved (such as financing power, production techniques, or cinematography), movies also started dumbing down and becoming the empty carcasses they feel like to me these days.

Hook, Jurassic Park, Independence Day, Pierce Brosnan's Bond, Alien 3 and 4, The Mummy, The Flintstones, the Batman crap, True Lies, Titanic, the Godzilla crap, all that wildly successful Disney crap, Dick Tracy, SW PT. Heck, I can't even remember more of them because I stopped bothering at some point....

There sure was some good stuff - I loved Forrest Gump, Silence of the Lambs, The Professional, Tremors, Seven, Sleepy Hollow, The Fifth Element (well....sort of), Groundhog Day, Apollo 13, Contact, Pixar's stuff, some sequels carried over from the 80s (T2, Die Hard 2...), and The Matrix and Last Action Hero are amongst my favorites of all time, and I am sure biased, but for the most part, 90s movies became weaker and weaker as the decade went away. I have heard that the trend of absurd pop culture started with the ridiculously bad Independence Day. But nevermind.
This might be a generational issue, but I found plenty of good things in the 90s and 00s. I find the Fraser Mummy perfectly fine adventure flicks, and the PT a great experiment that sure, it felt flat, but had soul and genuine worldbuilding. I think the "problem" here is that we get attached to the pop culture we grow up with. That doesn't mean that we have no critical lens and just consume whatever is in front of us, but we're more lenient with them. We get used to their themes and aesthetics and they follow us throughout our lives.

All that said, I never judged the film industry by its blockbusters, but by each year's/decade's/era's "stars". The most memorable films that have remained etched in the collective. For my money, a lot of those are just flicks I watched once or twice then never thought of again. Meanwhile there's a drama from the period that is in my Top Whatever. I like Alien as a Franchise because it's Cosmic Horror and Predator because it has a nice hook. I have no real emotional attachment to them however. A film like Excalibur I love because of how beautiful it looks, how epic it feels and because I like Arthurian Romances and Knights (armours in general). I like several historical periods, and although rooted in Fantasy instead of the most probably real period of Arthur, this is one of them. I love Tron as an IP. At the same time I don't care at all for Die Hard or a number of those films. I won't go through them all, but you get my point.

As time goes on we all laser focus on a specific number of genres, themes, characterizations and so on. I never cared much for the Gruff Macho Millitary Man, so all those movies never appealed to me. Not because of "Toxic Masculinity" or anything, that type just came off as cringy and hillarious to me. A caricature of already one-note and ridiculous people. I'd rather follow a "cold professional" like Craig's Bond in such a setting. Granted, 616 Fury is one of my favourites and he's a working class cigar-chomping 'Murica F'Yeah WW2 Vet, but he's the exception rather than the rule. Anyway, my point is that I'll neve pick up a Rambo or Dutch fig. I'll never watch Die Hard. I like Jason Statham's gruff Brit roles though. Is it because he does all those cool stunts? Because I grew up with them, all that Guy Ritchie stuff? I suspect I do. The things we are exposed to in an early age do affect us. It's why some hate certain genres and others love them. Or ways of filming. Editing and all that. Objective TopHat is always obvious, but sometimes one man's 5/10 is another's 8/10. One's random flick is another's childhood favourite.

My standards and requirements were set in the 70s/80s. Entertainment from that era is my point of reference. Back then I used to dream about how much better future entertainment would be (naive me), and needless to say, in my "extremely demanding" opinion, the last 30+ years have witnessed the demise of Hollywood/USA as a boundary-pushing creative force in the scifi/fantasy realm (setting aside the technological/industrial/non-artistical aspects of movie making, which can only improve, and which I have lost any interest in). Hollywood learnt in the 90s that they should stop caring about artistical values and making the movies artists wanted to make, and rather start making the movies PEOPLE CAN EASILY UNDERSTAND. Stop gambling millions on visionaries that make Blade Runners, only to get broke, and start only manufacturing products approved by technical committees and algorithms, then hire docile and greedy bean-counters-self-styled-artists like JJ Abrams, Ryan Johnson, Peter Jackson, John Favreau or Denis Villeneuve, who will give your corporate product the appearance of something made by an artist. There is a Plinkett review that reproduces a segment of a George Lucas interview in which, discussing his ousting by Disney, he puts quite bluntly where things stand right now: "no risk whatsoever, ever, with our shareholders' cash. Wanna make the next milestone in Cinematic History? Great, but you will have to create those assets with your own resources. Thank you very much.".
This is a valid point. Filmmaking is becoming increasingly centralised. It's committees going by numbers and algorithms trying to figure the way to put out a product that appeals to the widest market, follows all the [current day] socially acceptable trends, and makes the most profict. It's why everything is becoming increasingly similar. They see something that works and they copy it increasingly, while also following the same exact pattern. It used be a new IP blew up and then copycats followed. Now they're all put out by the same exact assembly line.

From my hard-line old-school perspective, Art and Creativity are synonyms of risk, rebellion and disruption, and those concepts are forever more forbidden in today's USA (UK has followed suit, and Europe... oh... nevermind...).
I can't agree there. "Disruption" and "Rebellion" are too broad concepts to say that they're responsible for good art. For me, for art to continue being fresh and innovative it needs to just pull from multiple sources at once. It's why Star Wars blew up. It combined a ton of things to create something pretty unique. Samurais, Knights, Magicians, Monks, Princesses, Robots, Dune, Space Empires, it drew from a multitude of things. That's entirely possible even today. Nobody's done a show that's about Space Napoleon leading the Space Samurai in Space Renaissance against the Not!Cenobites trying to unleash Chthulhu by manipulating Space Faust who's the Space Druid of a bunch of awakened AIs stuck in the guise of animals. My point is that people used to read history, classics, and bit by bit, accompanied by the comings and goings of the real world, they built upon what they knew and created something new. Now we all consume the same pre-approved pop culture that's devoid of any meaning. Communist Russia was an Authoritarian state, but they produced some classic films because while they enforced strict rules and stamped out disruption, they had a goal of making art. The current quasi-authoritarianism is just based on making the most money and spending the least. And people get more and more dumbed down, because it's easier to watch a Netflix show than read a classic book with 400 pages. And geeks are guilty of this too. It's easier to learn the lore of PokXWars 3K: ReVengeance Supreme than to read history. The nerds get obsessed with actual real world topics, while the geeks get lost in cheap fiction. So where will this new imagination arise from?

Artists are no longer welcomed, except for window-dressers. Engineers, lawyers and accountants are today's Hollywood's workhorses. Welcome to the Disney Paradigm, where the no-risk requirement has had such an impact in the environment, that in the last decades, art schools have turned into silicon foundries, and the so-called artists they manufacture eat, drink, breath and **** hi-tech Anti-Creativety since the day they are conceived, behaving and performing for the rest of their productive lives as obedient and efficient CPUs in flashy fleshy encapsulations, to just be adored by us, the techno-idiots. By the looks of it, choosing a career path in Movie Making these days is every bit the same as it is in IT, only more showy.

It is not Organic Creative Bankruptcy. It is Anti-Creativity (aka Creative Sterilization), engineered at the top of the food-chain, mixed with ever-impoiving Hi-Tech plus hollow and silly SJW fakeness, and fed to the bottom through teaching, hiring and Corporate Culture (and of course, by example: just look how rich you will get if you just obbey us!). And boy, do people embrace that ****...... both "creators" and audiences...! And (directly or indirectly) presiding over all this, the likes of Bob Iger, George Lucas, Steven Spielberg, James Cameron and Ridley Scott. But don't get me wrong: dumb, desperate-for-idols-to-worship audiences are the real culprits of The End of Art in Movie Making. No one else.
Good points all around there.

REMARK: I hold no faith on recent fan backslash or youtubers thrashing new movies these days. The same people then swear by the Gods that the SW PT or TFA are fine movies........ :-(
The ST "fans" and the PT fans are an entirely different crowd. The PT had its problems, but I'll never agree that it "ruined" SW when it added so much to it. Lucas bit off more than he could chew, but the man genuinely tried to do something. He missed, some would say by a wide margin, but he kept pushing technical limits and he attempted a full-scale Space Opera with all its Poetic Grandeur. He created something pretty unique and gave life back to the property. I've never gotten the hate some OT purists have towards it. Or the EU. I have my problems with all eras but I can enjoy them just the same because I like the core. And at the end of the day, all these big pop culture IPs are just based on a simple core theme that eithes gells with you or it doesn't.

As a result, today's Star Wars and Marvel movies, as almost everything else, are perfectly forgettable and disposable corporate products with a comedic coating on the surface and very clumsy epic at the core, exclusively derivative, made by people who actually hate the franchises they are given, and who deep beneath, beyond the love words in marketing press kits, show a very clear its-just-another-gig-and-another-million-bucks attitude. These movies are perfect fan service tampons which nobody will talk about in 10 years time because everyone will be too busy discussing in Unithought the neuro-FX of the latest Iron Man installment. Meanwhile, the list of wildly succesful, insulting and self-insulting crap goes endlessly on and on: the Predator sequels, the Blade Runner sequel, the Alien prequels, the Harry Potter saga, JJ's Star Trek, the DC stuff, the new Hellboy, Tenet, the Pirates of the Caribbean saga and other Disney crap, Transformers, the Indiana Jones sequel, War of the Worlds, the Godzilla crap, and etc ad nauseam.
I agree with the first part, but I can't say that BR49 is bad, or that the PotC films aren't great swashbuckling fun. TheBayFormers are perfectly serviceable blockbusters of their time. I don't get what makes it worse than any other. Tenet was a confusing mess plotwise, but it was an experience. Harry Potter was a serviceable YA series, especially compared with the trash that followed its success. These are just blockbusters. Predator's not going to be sitting next to The Sorrows Of Young Werther either.

There have been flashes in the last 20 years, remembering us what a good movie looks like, but they were not full-blown good movies in my book: Noland's Batman stuff, 2012, First Man, the LOTR and Hobbit trilogies, Inception, Elysium, Legion, King Kong Skull Island, Dredd, Avatar, Predators, CA Winter Soldier, Kingsman, the Robocop remake, etc. And some movies, precious few, were even good (Guy Ritchie's Sherlock Holmes), and I am sure biased, but for the most part, scifi/fantasy movies have gone to hell. Same applies to tv shows: Picard, ST Discovery, and the Mandalorian come to mind (I know nothing... about GoT, so I can't discuss it). REMARK: yeah, HBO's Rome was great, and that's why its fate was what it was.
Again, these are all mostly blockbusters. There've been plenty of good films Post-00s. 2007 especially was a geat year. You had NCFOM, There Will Be Blood and Michael Clayton to name just three. The Young Pope is one of the greatest pieces of genuine art in film & tv, and it came out in the mid 10s. I will agree that creativity has been sapped, as I said above, but there are still some good stuff being made. Blockbusters tend to reflect the times, and these are the times we live in, so they're just glorified products instead of fun ways to pass the time. But good films are still being made. They're just rare, which is a problem.

This old-man movie rant, for what? When I got into collecting (early 2010s), I already knew all the above. I had not gathered so much evidence, but I was already decoupled from my previous fan life mainly because of the dismal turn mainstream scifi/fantasy had take already in the 90s (and because of the SW PT!). Yet, I still suffered of my lifelong need for the beauty of finely crafted stuff that I could physically change and interact with, and so, knowing that my fandom was veeeery finite, and thanks to the Internet, I eventually reconnected with Hasbro's 3.75" SW stuff, then organicly evolved into 1/6, then Hot Toys revolutionized the movie 1/6 niche, Asmus entered the LOTR scene, and wonderful robot pieces popped up everywhere (SSC Raynor & Tychus, HT Ed209, lots of Threezero big pieces). Besides doing a small share of 1987 Predator and 1986 Aliens, and a little bit of Cyberpunk pieces (Akira, Dredd, Robocop, and other dystopian stuff), I eventually discovered a taste for Historical 1/6 (both European and Asian) when Coomodel intoduced their Series of Empire range, and for Sherlock Holmes/Steampunk when some related figs were released. I, an anti-militarist, even regained an interest in GI Joe that extended to that amazing Military 1/6 stuff that is being produced these days (only weapons & equipment). Oh I forgot: in my book, there is only one superheroe, and he is not even that. Batman. I got into that too, but almost only Noland's. Pour in quite a bunch of 1/6 kitbashing, and that is all the collecting I do. I will get a bit into 1/18 planes and helicopters in the future, as well as airsoft, but only for the guns. No fighting in the woods, no cosplaying, no props, no comics (only high quality graphic novels, pdf format, and very rarely; no long over-extending serials). Maybe a few cheap blurays, and I am done with the media.

Well, yes: it got out of hand wrt initial plans, but with the built-in hard limit which always was my aforementioned dislike for everything that is done in the media these days. That makes beating my collection addiction very easy, for I suffer from none. I am just a completist of what I do love, which is not much, and getting to love it took my 30+ years. 85% of all 1/6 done these days, I don't care about.

There is a 1/6 bubble cooking, which will explode when lots of collectors worldwide realise that they are compulsively buying lots of expensive figures of characters (even almost identucal repetitions thereof) they don't even know well, let alone like or love. For really liking and loving takes lots of time and depth, none of which are easy to come across theae days.
For me, I've realised that you just have to collect what you have a deep connection to. I've found that you stop developing such bonds around your 20s. You can't really "get into" something that late. Your tastes have been formulated, your first pop exposures have already happened. So while you have an affinity for Predator or Alien, I have a bigger one for something like Evangelion and the FF. Someone prefers arthouse where nothing happens and another loves kung-fu. That may be because their parent(s) introduced them to a particular genre, they came across a comic at a memorable trip, and so on. But all these tastes and attachments formulate rather early.

A personal example. I started watching Trek while I was in my late teens. It took me until this year to finally finish the OT. I liked it, mostly because of the chemistry between the cast, especially Shatner and Nimoy. I decided to continue with TNG. I tried 4 episodes and ended up deleting it. It just didn't do it for me. The core concept doesn't appeal to me. That being the whole "SyFy show for intellectuals" bit. I found it laughable. It's a bunch of simplified philosophical parables filtered through a biased worldview going through strawmen of enemies rooted in dated allegories and stuck in melodramatic plots. It's okay to watch as a kid and be introduced to some concepts, but as an adult who has and can read the actual sources, I don't need the "cool captain" to be the stand-in for the "correct" version. So right there the property loses me as I can't get hooked by its premise. I find the core that it's built upon, the utopian galaxy where people pursue meaningful lives because scarcity has been solved such a naive and antithetical to reality concept that I can't buy into its smug superiority. But really, it comes down to the fact that it's simply just another pop culture product designed to kill time. I don't have any attachment to it, as I was introduced to Wars & 40K well before it. Therefore there is no need for me to try and force myself to like it just because it's a giant of pop culture, and try to collect it. It jsut gets written off (maybe a Kirk dolly...).

My point is that a lot of people can't do that and they keep trying to "discover" new IPs and franchises and all, just to passively escape. And in the end it's all just plastic that you don't need and wasted hours that you don't remember. But if you use that time to learn a language or take a hike, and only buy the things you really want, you'll end up far more balanced and fulfilled. Because those 7 dollies will mean more than the other 20 you could've bought just to get them.

We all have some childish obsessions. The point is to keep them as nostalgia portals instead of tying to continiously try to remain children.

Sorry for the long "me" rant.
RfC
Nah, posts like these is what forums are about.

PS: my dismal take on movies these days sure bleeds onto music too. To me, John Williams died in 1989, Hans Zimmer does not even exist, and don't get me started about rock/pop these days..... :-(
I don't know anything about music. I go from Electronic to Indie Folk. If I like the sound, that's good enough for me.

Last edited:
There are a lot of really insightful responses here and I’d like to offer my own humble look at the topic.

I went though a brief phase of buying more collectibles than I should. For most of the time I’ve spent collecting, I’ve been able to keep it under control, only buying things that genuinely interested me but there have been brief lapses. The one thing that got a bit crazy was my collection of comics and books. I was buying books faster than I could read them and accumulating comics (mostly graphic novels) which were either never read or read once and stored away, never to be touched again.

For the past couple of years, I was trimming down (or at least trying to) the excess, limiting how much new clutter I was bringing into the home and just trying to be more mindful of my purchases. There wasn’t much incentive beyond trying to have a less cluttered environment.

Then disaster hit.

I discovered mould in my bedroom this year. My collection of comics and collectibles, most of which was stored in a wardrobe, was affected to varying degrees. The triage was heartbreaking and I ended up throwing away 70% of my books and comics. The remaining and most prized of my books and comics are in the process of being professionally cleaned and restored, while I’m slowly cleaning/sanitising my collectibles.

Years of collecting and it was now slowly rotting away before my eyes. It had also been a rough year for me. The Covid pandemic had put a great deal of strain on our family and created a lot of relationship problems. In the midst of this, I lost my motivation for many of my hobbies. I was surrounded by wonderful 1/6 figures and books but didn’t find joy in them.

The experience of throwing away stuff and cleaning out my bedroom has been strangely cathartic. I’m making the effort to be more outgoing and I’m in the process of remodelling my bedroom. I’m making it a place to spend less time in. A smaller computer desk and desk chair, fewer books on shelves and so on.

Although I was devastated to begin with, now I feel at peace with what has happened. Life is short and nothing lasts forever. On some level, these things we collect are pointless but it doesn’t mean we can’t enjoy them. Just maintain perspective and remember there’s more to life than our collections.

There are a lot of really insightful responses here and I’d like to offer my own humble look at the topic.

I went though a brief phase of buying more collectibles than I should. For most of the time I’ve spent collecting, I’ve been able to keep it under control, only buying things that genuinely interested me but there have been brief lapses. The one thing that got a bit crazy was my collection of comics and books. I was buying books faster than I could read them and accumulating comics (mostly graphic novels) which were either never read or read once and stored away, never to be touched again.

For the past couple of years, I was trimming down (or at least trying to) the excess, limiting how much new clutter I was bringing into the home and just trying to be more mindful of my purchases. There wasn’t much incentive beyond trying to have a less cluttered environment.

Then disaster hit.

I discovered mould in my bedroom this year. My collection of comics and collectibles, most of which was stored in a wardrobe, was affected to varying degrees. The triage was heartbreaking and I ended up throwing away 70% of my books and comics. The remaining and most prized of my books and comics are in the process of being professionally cleaned and restored, while I’m slowly cleaning/sanitising my collectibles.

Years of collecting and it was now slowly rotting away before my eyes. It had also been a rough year for me. The Covid pandemic had put a great deal of strain on our family and created a lot of relationship problems. In the midst of this, I lost my motivation for many of my hobbies. I was surrounded by wonderful 1/6 figures and books but didn’t find joy in them.

The experience of throwing away stuff and cleaning out my bedroom has been strangely cathartic. I’m making the effort to be more outgoing and I’m in the process of remodelling my bedroom. I’m making it a place to spend less time in. A smaller computer desk and desk chair, fewer books on shelves and so on.

Although I was devastated to begin with, now I feel at peace with what has happened. Life is short and nothing lasts forever. On some level, these things we collect are pointless but it doesn’t mean we can’t enjoy them. Just maintain perspective and remember there’s more to life than our collections.
this is why i usually wrap my books in plastic bag and taped after reading them. it's not airtight but at least it keeps most air, moist etc out.

Back