How does pre-order on eBay work?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darth_helios

Freaked Out
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have recently made a pre-order purchase of Hot Toys Berserker on eBay. I was under the impression that i will have to pay only when the seller gets the item ready to ship. But the seller is actually asking me to pay upfront. I know that we can raise a case only up to 60 days from the day of purchase. So is it safe to pay up the guy now and then wait. will i be able to raise a case after 3-4 months if i don't get the item? Please help me out here. Also can anyone of you guys vouch for the seller loontentoys?

-DH

Don't preorder on eBay. I'm sure some sellers will deliver, but there are also some out there who won't. Keep in mind, 45 days after payment, you have no more help from Paypal.

There are some sellers that are OK to preorder on Ebay, but for the most part, it's scams. If it won't ship within 30 days, Ebay won't offer protection and people take advantage of that with preorders.

Buy early on ebay and pray every day that your stuff really gets shipped out.

Hi Guys,

I have recently made a pre-order purchase of Hot Toys Berserker on eBay. I was under the impression that i will have to pay only when the seller gets the item ready to ship. But the seller is actually asking me to pay upfront. I know that we can raise a case only up to 60 days from the day of purchase. So is it safe to pay up the guy now and then wait. will i be able to raise a case after 3-4 months if i don't get the item? Please help me out here. Also can anyone of you guys vouch for the seller loontentoys?

-DH

Hi Darth,

Don't do it. It shouldn't be allowed either because it makes it too easy to defraud a buyer. A huge auction is sold with 100 pre-orders at $125 a pop and then the figure is canceled. Meanwhile the seller has spent the money. And of course, it's too late to file a Paypal dispute. I've had this happen to me before, so trust me, don't do it.

Hi Guys,

-DH

Paying upfront for a pre-order on ebay is what you should have anticipated before even looking at the auction. That's your mistake. I don't recommend pre-ordering on ebay.

For what it's worth, I haven't pre-ordered from loontentoys but their service involving in-stock items has always been good in my experience.

Well I always pre-order from Loontentoys, I have never had a problem and you generally get the figures cheaper and as soon as they are available. Only order from 100% top sellers and you will be fine.

I am never brave enough to Pre-order from ebay.

As said Loontentoys are trusted for pre-orders. Goodshipped has a good reputation from in hand items from me but as I said never pre-ordered.

If you haven't yet paid the don't. Buyers don't get negative feedback so your rating will be fine.

The one time I preordered a figure from Hong Kong to save about 30%, I had to chase and chase the seller for about two weeks with many emails exchanged to get them to finally ship me the product when it became available. And that was after giving them a nice grace period of maybe two months after the figures were already shipping in the U.S.

I say don't preorder on eBay. :D

I did one month ago, now still waitting , but the deal is pretty good, and this seller has his own web site to sell all the sideshows, i sis a research on him and it should be trustful, but the waiting time is killing me!!

Is the savings great, when people pre-order on eBay? Or, is the objective to get the figure faster than domestic pre-orders? With those HK shipping prices, I never thought pre-ordering on eBay was a cheaper.

I did a preorder on a Michael Jackson Bad figure, but from another seller, I had to pay upfront, I did this because the figure was going to be released in 2 weeks, so I was "safe" if I wanted to file a report.

But yeah, I will never preorder from ebay, it's risky.

Thanks a lot for the information guys. Really appreciate it. I should have asked this question before but i was tempted at the price i was getting the figure for and also the seller has good reputation. I live in India so trying to get items shipped from Sideshow will be a killer and in that sense it's cheaper for me to get them from HK sellers.

I used to pre-order a lot from Ebay,not so much now,but touch wood,I ve never had any problems.Leo from "Goodshipped" had my money for over a year for the Tumbler and delivered just as soon as the item was available.I think the trouble is a lot of people do nt familiarize themselves with all the details of the item they re ordering and are a little lacking in the patience department too.

Its legwork which nobody seems to want to do these days,this board is an absolute goldmine of information,it ll tell you all you could ever need to know about sellers release dates,delivery times,etc.but you have to search it and read it,something i ve always rather enjoyed.And feedback ratings on Ebay count for a lot as well,you can always tell the experienced sellers,when they set up,etc.how many transactions offset by negatives(if any)and even read the reasons for those negatives most of which are easily explained.And even when some sellers you thought were great are letting things slip a little.

Back