How do you go about finding a good painter/customizer?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RandomHero

Super Freak
Reaction score
So I've posted here recently that I'd like to get into the ThreeZero Game of Thrones line. I got Jon Snow and bought the Nut Piz head sculpt everyone recommended. I plan to get Brienne and Tyrion next, the sculpts look like they are pretty good but the paint application holds them back a bit. I was thinking I might want to get them repainted so they look better on the shelf, especially since they'll be in a curio cabinet below some Hot Toys figures.

I was wondering, how do you even go about finding a good painter or customizer to repaint a head for you? I don't know where to even start looking, nevermind find someone good at the craft. My buddy is a customizer who repaints old hockey McFarlane figures (and is basically the best in the business), I thought about asking him but it's an entirely different way of painting.

Any help would be really awesome. Thank you!

So I've posted here recently that I'd like to get into the ThreeZero Game of Thrones line. I got Jon Snow and bought the Nut Piz head sculpt everyone recommended. I plan to get Brienne and Tyrion next, the sculpts look like they are pretty good but the paint application holds them back a bit. I was thinking I might want to get them repainted so they look better on the shelf, especially since they'll be in a curio cabinet below some Hot Toys figures.

I was wondering, how do you even go about finding a good painter or customizer to repaint a head for you? I don't know where to even start looking, nevermind find someone good at the craft. My buddy is a customizer who repaints old hockey McFarlane figures (and is basically the best in the business), I thought about asking him but it's an entirely different way of painting.

Any help would be really awesome. Thank you!

Painters are generally pretty swamped and a "good" painter would most likely have a backlog to clear before even accepting your requests, their prices can also match their work, ranging anywhere from $200-2000.

There are also plenty of other painters and "just okay" ones like myself, and usually we hang out on Intsagram. It's all about finding the person who suits your budget and checking out their work.

What are some good tags to search on Instagram? I have an account so I can do some searching on there, I just need a starting point haha.

Appreciate your help!

Looking for painters... for 1/9 scale type heads....I could pay $30 per head plus shipping.

Looking for painters... for 1/9 scale type heads....I could pay $30 per head plus shipping.
To be honest I think $30 per head isnt even going to scratch the surface for most artists worth their salt. You may find someone to do a slap up job for that price but in all honesty if that's the quality you're going to recieve you're better off doing it yourself.

With sculpt painting you really get what you pay for. I've done some 6th scale sculpts for friends for moderate prices but that's a case by case friends discount type of thing.

If you're after quality you may have to spend a little more especially once you specify what it is you're actually wanted painted and what level of detail you expect.

Hope you find someone to help you dude, best of luck 😊

Last edited:
Back