How do I fade/wear clothing

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nosferatus_lair

Freaked Out
Reaction score
How would I make the camo on the helmet and the jacket more faded and dull. It looks too new.

Attachments

• 20221008_165759.jpg
    20221008_165759.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 3
There are various ways to do it. There is no real right or wrong way to do it. Well, I guess there could be a wrong way of going about it .ie permanent markers and such. Some actually go out and dirty it up for real. Other uses pastels, watered down paints, dry brush, etc. There are weathering paint kits. I don't think they are necessary, but I guess they come with the compatible shades. I like this video. It's a good place to start:

Also, much like 1:1 scale clothing, a wash with a little watered down bleach or detergent can break down the fabric some as well. Just pay close attention to the amount used and the time spent soaking it.

Also, much like 1:1 scale clothing, a wash with a little watered down bleach or detergent can break down the fabric some as well. Just pay close attention to the amount used and the time spent soaking it.
I'd be too worried it'd eat the stitching away it's so tiny and fragile. I've also seen somewhere about a coffee wash soak clothing in coffee for an hour or so to make it look darker and dirtier

My go to is acrylic washes + Tamiya Weathering Powders.

Depending on the color of the clothing and the environment most of the time I will use lighter tan "sand" like colors first. These both give the clothing a more faded appearance and dirty it in places where the wash gathers in the crevices.

Best of all with acrylics and powders you can always walk it back if you go overboard. Finish off with a dullcote and you're good to go (y)

Attachments

• fr2_zps516f18e2-01-01.jpeg
    fr2_zps516f18e2-01-01.jpeg
    198 KB · Views: 0
I'd be too worried it'd eat the stitching away it's so tiny and fragile. I've also seen somewhere about a coffee wash soak clothing in coffee for an hour or so to make it look darker and dirtier
A coffee or tea bath also can come in handy as well. Experiment around. I've only ever had one 1/6 scale garment weaken enough to fall apart after a watered down bleach bath.

Thanks for the tips and advice. If giving a bleach bath or rubbing the clothing with bleach how long do I leave it on? How much do I use? 50/50 or like 3 parts water to one part bleach. Would sandpapering the clothing work either?

My go to is acrylic washes + Tamiya Weathering Powders.

Depending on the color of the clothing and the environment most of the time I will use lighter tan "sand" like colors first. These both give the clothing a more faded appearance and dirty it in places where the wash gathers in the crevices.

Best of all with acrylics and powders you can always walk it back if you go overboard. Finish off with a dullcote and you're good to go (y)
how do you seal the powder to avoid staining your hand etc?

applying them with abit water seems to help them stick but if you apply acrylic paint i guess that would seal it but you risk wiping the powder off with the brush.

A coffee or tea bath also can come in handy as well. Experiment around. I've only ever had one 1/6 scale garment weaken enough to fall apart after a watered down bleach bath.
most clothings arent full cotton so stuffs like polyester can become weaker and tear easily. i had a medicom pants that split after many years. when i tried to fix the split i end up with 2 more splits. had to find a similar pants but most are too wide on the waist due to medicom body being slimmer. oh well at least the suit covers the waist.

Back