Hot Toys: The Mandalorian The Child Life-Size Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, this is why I fear Hot Toys rubber. Its why I can't bring myself to PO Mandalorian Ahsoka. That seamless rubber body worries me.

I'm surprised by people recommending the Sideshow one as looking better, I have both and the Hot Toys one is far superior. It has sharper details, better paint, and the likeness is just overall better, if you see them in person it's no contest. Initially I wasn't sure about getting the Hot Toys one due to the seams around the ears, but I'm OK with it with how much better everything else is. Especially since I always felt like the pose on the Sideshow version was a bit awkward with him looking up, his neck looks very strange in that pose like a frog trying to croak.
The issue with the chin tearing sucks though, mine's OK at the moment and I had already intended to pose him with the mouth open before I read about the issue, but it makes me wonder if he might break down in the future even with me keeping his mouth posed open.

I'm surprised by people recommending the Sideshow one as looking better, I have both and the Hot Toys one is far superior. It has sharper details, better paint, and the likeness is just overall better, if you see them in person it's no contest. Initially I wasn't sure about getting the Hot Toys one due to the seams around the ears, but I'm OK with it with how much better everything else is. Especially since I always felt like the pose on the Sideshow version was a bit awkward with him looking up, his neck looks very strange in that pose like a frog trying to croak.
The issue with the chin tearing sucks though, mine's OK at the moment and I had already intended to pose him with the mouth open before I read about the issue, but it makes me wonder if he might break down in the future even with me keeping his mouth posed open.
I really have to disagree, but to each their own.

The face looks off on Hot Toys
The hands are too big
The feet are too big
The proportions of the robe & body look weird
Ear seams

I'd go as far as to say the Sideshow one is objectively the better likeness considering Legacy Effects, the studio that made the actual Grogu, did all of this:

1623270715167.png

Yep, this is why I fear Hot Toys rubber. Its why I can't bring myself to PO Mandalorian Ahsoka. That seamless rubber body worries me

We’ll all I can say is I’ve had the original Gamora for more than five years, zero issues. I suppose things could change in another 20 years, but so far, so good.

Still would not buy HT Child, but I have no concerns with Ahsoka.

We’ll all I can say is I’ve had the original Gamora for more than five years, zero issues. I suppose things could change in another 20 years, but so far, so good.

Still would not buy HT Child, but I have no concerns with Ahsoka.
I'm not as concerned for figures like Gamora since the arm can be left in a museum pose. It's not as exciting to have everyone with their arms straight, but it keeps them safe.

Grogu is especially problematic because the material seems to be stretched over a particular area no matter what. And it seemed like a late addition to the figure as well, which maybe didn't go through as much quality control testing as it should have..

I got mine on March 13, and it came with the mouth wide open out of the box. I've messed around with the mouth a little bit, and ended up posing him with it closed all the way for about the last 2 months. After seeing this thread, I checked on him, and thankfully there has been no tearing. (and now his mouth is open again)

I really have to disagree, but to each their own.

The face looks off on Hot Toys
The hands are too big
The feet are too big
The proportions of the robe & body look weird
Ear seams

I'd go as far as to say the Sideshow one is objectively the better likeness considering Legacy Effects, the studio that made the actual Grogu, did all of this:

View attachment 527874
I have both Sideshow and Hot Toys. They are both good in their own right, but the size of the hands and feet in the Hot Toys version are terrible.

the sideshow version is more accurate for body and proportions. the face on it is really good too.

Even if I liked this thing I would never be able to enjoy having him at this point. Every time I looked at him the first thought to cross my mind would be "don't tear you little bastard"!

Ugh I got mine about a week ago and haven’t had a chance to open him up yet. Didn’t even know about this chin problem until now reading this thread. Need to get him out and check him ASAP.

Even if I liked this thing I would never be able to enjoy having him at this point. Every time I looked at him the first thought to cross my mind would be "don't tear you little bastard"!
This. I cancelled my PO because I personally would not be able to enjoy the figure.

Hopefully it was just a bad batch for those of you holding onto the figure.

As much as I like hot toys one I settled for sideshow, I wished they'd just do a non articled jaw like using the proto.

Anyone else notice sideshow have removed all mention and pictures of the jaw feature? They must of had a fair few issues!

As much as I like hot toys one I settled for sideshow, I wished they'd just do a non articled jaw like using the proto.

Anyone else notice sideshow have removed all mention and pictures of the jaw feature? They must of had a fair few issues!
Was it ever updated to show the jaw feature? Cause it didn’t exist when it initially went up for preorder.

Yeah, the Hot Toys is so much more accurate than the Sideshow one... that was actually sculptured and supervised by the very same people that make the original puppet.

Not to mention the caricature-like features of the HT, big hands and feet, seams on the ears, etc...

Yeah, okay...

I see the Legacy Effects/Sideshow version as being closer to a prop replica. It almost seems like a replica of the filming prop, having been sculpted by the same studio.

The Hot Toys version is idealized and not a prop replica per se. So it may look better to some as it matches what they see in their head. But it is not as accurate to the prop Grogu built by Legacy Effects for the show and makes compromises for things like articulation and swappable parts.

Same goes with the various types of Stormtrooper replicas/prop replicas out there. I love my various RS Prop Masters helmets, but they show all the imperfections the original props had which some people don’t think of when they think Stormtrooper.

What I can tell you, having both and being able to compare them directly--the sculpt for the Hot Toys figure looks the same but has sharper details, (noticeably sharper details). The main difference is the mouth/neck area which on Sideshow even if it's accurate it looks strange to me. I would imagine that Hot Toys was using the real sculpt for reference as well for theirs, it's unlikely that they did it freehand so probably the main difference is the pose of the mouth.
I'm also not a fan of the Sideshow figure due to how he's posed looking up which looks strange on a shelf. That's fairly consistent with how Sideshow has been doing--make something people really want but mess up the pose.
I would also say as far as paint goes, the paint on Hot Toys is more subtle which I prefer.
Originally I was going with Sideshow since it came first and I don't like the seams around the ears on the Hot Toys one, but after getting it I don't mind the seams so much since the rest of it looks better to me.

People are welcome to be happy with whichever they got, but I'm quite pleased with getting the Hot Toys one, though I'll definitely be concerned about the possible tearing issue.

Hi guys, I've just managed to get one of these aftermarket , he's great, no neck tear etc etc in great shape, I've very carefully tried his mouth to see if it closes however it doesn't stay shut anyway, should it 'lock' shut? His mouth just appears to open and close with a resistance, should it be a ratchet mechanism ? It closes nearly shut but you can still see his little teeth, but to close any further seems impossible, have I landed a faulty one ? :-( i've no plans to display him with mouth shut but just curious in case he's faulty

Back