Hot Toys: The Mandalorian The Child Life-Size Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got mine, I like it much better than the Sideshow version, to me the jaw/neck of Sideshow's looked a bit weird, but I wasn't sure about getting the Hot Toys one due to the seams around the ears. The seams aren't so bad, especially if you're not looking at it up close, and the way it looks overall is just better, there's more detail in the sculpt and the sculpt is sharper overall. I also think the paint is applied better. It's nice that it can be posed as well. I don't have any issue with the chin tearing like was reported by some but I'll keep that in mind in the future, not sure how common that is.

Absolutely fantastic figure, had him for about a week after waiting a little bit to get him from TBA.

But one week later, I've noticed the goddamn chin tear. I've been overly cautious too. So, what are my complaint options here?
fddb1e1ad491b1a63c20cec111d92480.jpg
09f34959b66c54b579990175836859c0.jpg

Sent from my STK-L22 using Tapatalk

Don’t know how prevalent it is, but it is definitely not an isolate issue. If you bought it from an authorized retailer, you should not have any problems getting a replacement part or return.

You can tell them you noticed other people have had the issue and if Hot Toys has communicated anything to their retail partners at all. You may also not be the first person to bring this up to them.

I would be concerned that unless it was a bad batch or they make changes to the figure, a replacement part might end up tearing as well.

Last edited:
Did you leave the mouth closed or open. A week doesn't seem like a lot of time for this to happen from just stress.

Has anyone tried to repair this material ? Is that even possible ?

Did you leave the mouth closed or open. A week doesn't seem like a lot of time for this to happen from just stress.

Has anyone tried to repair this material ? Is that even possible ?

It was open for a few days, then closed for a few. No issues with humidity or stress. I kinda figured the rips were due to people screwing around with the mouth.
This sucks.

Messaged Hot Toys, messaged ToysBuyingAgent. We'll see who responds first.
I figure if Hot Toys replaced all those wonky Tony Stark sculpts, there's a slight chance they'll do the same here.

Not holding my breath on that, though...

Hot Toys is not likely to help you directly.

ToysBuyingAgent may try to get a replacement part for you. But I would consider just returning it until they address the problem. And then getting a later batch or skipping it if they just ignore the issue.

I was considering getting it but I probably will not anymore.

Im not sure HT knows what to do. If they send you a new head its probably going to have the same issue. Its a bad design. I guess there just isn't enough slack between the neck and the chin when the mouth is closed, and thats why its tearing. Or perhaps its the frame of the mouth. Is anything pushing against the inside, where the cut is?

you gotta fill the gap. Just gluing it wouldn't solve the problem. Maybe like a tire sealant or something. Someone in construction would know what to do. How do you bond rubber back together?

they should just stick to the prototype, with the usual plastic head. No need for this articulated mouth thingy. They tried to win over the Sideshow Grogu by adding new feature, but failed to think about the durability/longevity of the material used and just poor design overall.

Yep, it was an unnecessary over-design and a problem of their own making.

There is flexible glue and gap filling glue that will fix it, but damage might spread and the material further degrade over time.

You would also be left with an unsightly mark. It would be difficult to glue seamlessly. Matching the paint would be difficult for most people.

I would not repair it unless someone has the experience for it, and they absolutely want to keep it forever knowing it might not last.

Hot Toys responded. Given ToysBuyingAgent aren't an official distributor, apparently they're wiping their hands clean of my issue. Thats great.

Yeah, it is up to TBA to make it right for you.

But even if you bought it from an official retailer, they would tell you to go to them anyway.

Hot Toys does not handle those things directly, unless you buy directly in person from their stores.

Yeah, it is up to TBA to make it right for you.

But even if you bought it from an official retailer, they would tell you to go to them anyway.

Hot Toys does not handle those things directly, unless you buy directly in person from their stores.

Exactly. That's why they chose to use distributors and other sellers to handle this stuff.

Unfortunately this leads to poor customer service though.

Hot Toys responded. Given ToysBuyingAgent aren't an official distributor, apparently they're wiping their hands clean of my issue. Thats great.

They would have told you to go through Sideshow if you bought it from them.

Only way HT will help directly is if you bought it from Secret Base and took it back there.

Got this little guy about a week ago, luckily no tearing (yet!) but I haven't even attempted to fully close his mouth just in case.

One thing I have found though is that the clear rod to attach him to the stand is way too long so he is hovering about an inch above the stand. Does anyone else have this same problem?

ToysBuyingAgent finally responded (My fault, emailed the wrong address), and they can't really do anything either. But they've offered me a discount on my next purchase, so that's at least something.

Goddamn this figure is great, it majorly sucks that it breaks so easy. So for anyone picking the little guy up,

DON'T CLOSE THE MOUTH.

Back