Hot Toys - The Mandalorian: Shoretrooper Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It sounds like you want an AT-ACT Driver instead.

View attachment 573469

View attachment 573468

(Correction in the edit!)

I didn't like him either.

httt.jpg

He looks better in green with the ESB breastplate as the Mandalorian Transport trooper, but I'm still not that fond of the insect-like helmet. I might use the upcoming Pedro sculpt on him.

HT Mandalorian Transport Trooper 1.jpg

Rogue One was a symphony of horrible Imperial designs, what with their version of regular Stormtroopers as well.

I think the best new design of that ilk was Solo's Patrol Trooper, which struck me as a perfect blend, crossing over from Star Wars back into earlier sci-fi ideas of a planetary police force.

htpt.jpg

The Shoretrooper has an arrangement of Velcro attaching the armour to the trousers, so an immediate wardrobe change isn't practical. Putting him at the back of the shelf does improve him though.

EDIT:

So the AT-ACT used the Shoretrooper helmet? That would make a better looking figure than the HT Tank Trooper.

So the AT-ACT used the Shoretrooper helmet? That would make a better looking figure than the HT Tank Trooper.

Yes, the AT-ACT Driver has a white Shoretrooper helmet, seen only very briefly. I do think it looks good in white as well.

31A49FF3-5CDF-4F5B-AB1E-E8ACECE02217.jpeg

I agree the Patrol Trooper is a fantastic design. Has a nice 70’s sci-fi vibe to it. Hope we see them again.

Yes, the AT-ACT Driver has a white Shoretrooper helmet, seen only very briefly. I do think it looks good in white as well.

View attachment 573493

I agree the Patrol Trooper is a fantastic design. Has a nice 70’s sci-fi vibe to it. Hope we see them again.

The original designs from 1977-1983 are inspirational, maybe not merely from a nostalgic perspective, but the classic Stormtrooper, Snowtrooper, AT-AT Driver/TIE Pilot and Scout Trooper have also been very aesthetically pleasing to me.

When I look at the 1/6 versions they make me feel something, a real connection. I don't get that with many of the Disney era creations, such as the Shoretrooper, Tank Trooper, or Death Trooper. Yet the Patrol Trooper is something special. There's something very inspirational about it that transcends the source.

The Mandalorian gave me the impetus to pick up troopers that I passed over in their Rogue One iterations, such as today's arrival, the Death Trooper, and the pre-ordered Transport Trooper.

The original designs from 1977-1983 are inspirational, maybe not merely from a nostalgic perspective, but the classic Stormtrooper, Snowtrooper, AT-AT Driver/TIE Pilot and Scout Trooper have also been very aesthetically pleasing to me.

When I look at the 1/6 versions they make me feel something, a real connection. I don't get that with many of the Disney era creations, such as the Shoretrooper, Tank Trooper, or Death Trooper. Yet the Patrol Trooper is something special. There's something very inspirational about it that transcends the source.

The Mandalorian gave me the impetus to pick up troopers that I passed over in their Rogue One iterations, such as today's arrival, the Death Trooper, and the pre-ordered Transport Trooper.
The original work came from people who primarily weren’t movie people. MacQuarrie, Johnston, Rodis-Jamero, Cantwell, were advertising/engineering or young people starting out. And they liked clean lines, simple shapes and thought about the mechanics of it all. Now it’s just something that looks cool and/or will sell a toy. Doug Chiang seems to have the right mindset but I think there are too many cooks now and too much approval process.

The original work came from people who primarily weren’t movie people. MacQuarrie, Johnston, Rodis-Jamero, Cantwell, were advertising/engineering or young people starting out. And they liked clean lines, simple shapes and thought about the mechanics of it all. Now it’s just something that looks cool and/or will sell a toy. Doug Chiang seems to have the right mindset but I think there are too many cooks now and too much approval process.

Outside of 1/6 collecting, my main focus is lineage OT replicas which I have a good number of. It’s important to me to have what’s as close to screen used as possible.

The OT designs are as iconic as they are unassailable. Even the imperfections in the props themselves just lend so much character to them.

But I also have a fair number of helmets from modern Star Wars, including the Rogue One era trooper variants from ANOVOS. Maybe it helps to see them in person, but there are a ton of details in the designs that may not be immediately apparent on screen that link them to the OT helmets which I greatly appreciate.

Even Lucas approved of the Tank Driver helmet design to the point that Edwards added it to RO because of it which says a lot.

I have pretty pretty harsh standards for when new designs are added retroactively to an existing period and I think the RO helmets look great displayed together. I feel it’s believable they’re from the same era in-universe.

But that’s me, of course. Everyone looks at things differently and I respect your opinions.

Last edited:

Yeah, the Patrol Trooper is about the only modern trooper design to me that's rung a bell as being close to the level of OT. One thing I think a lot of the modern designs don't seem to understand is the need for the design to be scary or creepy.

All of the OT designs have an inhuman, eerie aspect to them - from the stormie's skeleton smile to the snowie's hooded squint to the Biker Scout's Munch "scream face."

The RO stormie is a good example of letting the design brief slip through your fingers. It came across as a teenage stormie, with rounded eyes, so almost "cute." I never considered the blue stripes on the cheeks to be actual vents - I saw them as insignia, but the RO redesign turned them into vents.

The first thing I usually notice on that assault tank commander helmet is the teeny-tiny "sad face" mouth it has.
Good call. Bit of a Galactica vibe about it.
I've recently been streaming the 1978 Galactica and its chock full of 70s cheese but it also has some cool stuff design wise (and even a few cool battle sequences) that has stood the test of time. Even some things that Lucas ripped off for ESB.

It left me really wanting a classic 1/6 Cylon, but there doesn't seem to have been any company that has done it to a HT or even SSC level. Great design, I'd argue nearly as cool design-wise as ANH stormie.

The Colonial Viper and Battlestar and Cylon fighter and base star I also consider to be close to (not quite at) the level of SW ship designs.

Last edited:
I've recently been streaming the 1978 Galactica and its chock full of 70s cheese but it also has some cool stuff design wise (and even a few cool battle sequences) that has stood the test of time. Even some things that Lucas ripped off for ESB.

It left me really wanting a classic 1/6 Cylon, but there doesn't seem to have been any company that has done it to a HT or even SSC level. Great design, I'd argue nearly as cool design-wise as ANH stormie.

The Colonial Viper and Battlestar and Cylon fighter and base star I also consider to be close to (not quite at) the level of SW ship designs.
Haven’t watched it awhile but isn’t there an episode with similar snow vehicles etc? MacQuarrie and a bunch of other ILMers worked on it until Lucas poached many of them back.

Pretty sure there was a Cylon 12” in one of those JC Penny catalogs :)

Love the Shoretrooper. I feel it fits in well with classic designs, much the same way the snow trooper deviated from the normal stormies. I picked up a spare waist belt and armor from the normal one to put onto my Squad leader when I finish my payment plan. I like the hip armor, but love the Kama. I'll just need to figure out what to do with the velcro square, because I couldn't bring myself to spend more on the waist pouch.

Love the Shoretrooper. I feel it fits in well with classic designs, much the same way the snow trooper deviated from the normal stormies. I picked up a spare waist belt and armor from the normal one to put onto my Squad leader when I finish my payment plan. I like the hip armor, but love the Kama. I'll just need to figure out what to do with the velcro square, because I couldn't bring myself to spend more on the waist pouch.
I actually thought about doing this but wondered how it would look. Please post pics.

I believe MacQuarrie also worked for NASA , he also did some designs for Star Trek.

Back