1/6 Hot Toys - The Clone Wars: Darth Maul (Lord Mandalore) Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never returned a Hot Toys figure before on account of just not liking it. But this one I did. I love The Clone Wars and have all the other figures from it so far, and I have the other two Mauls... but this just wasn't doing it for me. It feels so rushed and it's just not fun to pose. :(

I was able to score a DX16 head on evilbay for like $40....now he looks even better. While I do love the sculpt it came with, I will agree with most that the the heads from DX16 are an improvement. Tho...mine does not fit perfectly...

Has anyone else received this email from Popcultcha?
FBC3ED4E-B614-4D0D-B9AC-513412D4FF90.jpeg

My deposit was refunded. A friend of mine also received the same notice. Makes me wonder if any of the other figures with light up features (that use button batteries) will be affected - and will this only affect Australian customers, or international customers as well?

Has anyone else received this email from Popcultcha?
View attachment 594754
I just looked this up and find it a tad amusing.

I haven’t received my maul yet, but I don’t think any of my hot toys have been easy to get batteries in and out of. The ones in my experience have required a screw driver I had thought.

And if you can figure out a Hot Toys Unboxing, I imagine you can master a child lock on pill bottles, no?

Maybe if you contact popcultcha they can just open it and toss the batteries?

Are cigarettes child locked down unda? Or booze?

Not to minimize anyone loss, but 3 deaths and only 1 projected injury a month is a bit silly to ban batteries to this degree imo, especially considering you live in a place where everything alive is ready to kill you.

“No, you can’t have that light up toy son, go outside and play with a snake or kangaroo”

“You can’t have a watch Timmy, but here’s a paper clip and a wall outlet, I’ll be back in a hour”

My deposit was refunded. A friend of mine also received the same notice. Makes me wonder if any of the other figures with light up features (that use button batteries) will be affected - and will this only affect Australian customers, or international customers as well?
https://www.accc.gov.au/media-release/businesses-on-notice-as-mandatory-button-battery-laws-commence
“World first standards”

Looks like yall unfortunately might be the first poor bastards to have to go through this. Good thing Hot Toys is switching to USB, but looks like they are pretty adamant about implementing and enforcing this.

I’m not sure if that will impact your eBay and out of country purchases as well

It says the government has been working with businesses for the past 18 months to get ready for this, since it was announced. So I’m not sure if popcultcha thought they could ship it before they took effect, or just didn’t care until it happened. But either way I would maybe contact them and see if they can work with you to remove the batteries maybe.

Otherwise you are gunna have to buy from a local collector maybe, and this issue might make the price of such outlawed items skyrocket 🤷‍♂️

I spoke to Popcultcha yesterday after mine was cancelled. They can't just toss the batteries as the law requires the battery compartment to comply as well. What they have to do is wait until they receive stock, open one and confirm if it complies. If it does, they will ship them out. If it does not and they can physically modify it to comply, they will contact customers as ask if they want the mod done. If the customer says no, or it can't be made to comply, they cannot sell to local customers. They can still sell to international customers.

Basically we are screwed for any light up Hot Toys figures. I hope the new USB LED ones will be fine as I assume no batteries. I'm expecting my Clone Wars Anakin and Dark Trooper to be cancelled also.

I spoke to Popcultcha yesterday after mine was cancelled. They can't just toss the batteries as the law requires the battery compartment to comply as well. What they have to do is wait until they receive stock, open one and confirm if it complies. If it does, they will ship them out. If it does not and they can physically modify it to comply, they will contact customers as ask if they want the mod done. If the customer says no, or it can't be made to comply, they cannot sell to local customers. They can still sell to international customers.

Basically we are screwed for any light up Hot Toys figures. I hope the new USB LED ones will be fine as I assume no batteries. I'm expecting my Clone Wars Anakin and Dark Trooper to be cancelled also.
I’m pretty sure the arm complies, but the batteries usually come in a easy to get at plastic shell usually.

So they would likely still have to toss the batteries I believe.

Anakin would probably have a similar thing going on, and I’m not sure about dark trooper. You can probably check some YouTube reviews as well, like I did with the Maul pic, and depending how things go with Maul being resold to you, could expect similar results

Sorry this is happening to y’all

Attachments

• 1A09A765-E922-418D-9A7F-FF6A9EFA969F.jpeg
    1A09A765-E922-418D-9A7F-FF6A9EFA969F.jpeg
    181.2 KB · Views: 0
@MyenShi and @choombaz reported on the cell button fiasco law recently in another Star Wars or Marvel thread.
Some crazy low prices for Marvel pieces to International customers due to this new Law.
Funny thing is,Woolies are still selling cell button batteries,and no doubts other Departmemt stores are too.

I've been randomly buying the Shoretroopers and Transport troopers while i can from them,but everything else via TBA.

I still see Ashoka and Mando Luke on their site.
Those ones will sting when it becomes crunch time for release.

@MyenShi and @choombaz reported on the cell button fiasco law recently in another Star Wars or Marvel thread.
Some crazy low prices for Marvel pieces to International customers due to this new Law.
Funny thing is,Woolies are still selling cell button batteries,and no doubts other Departmemt stores are too.

I've been randomly buying the Shoretroopers and Transport troopers while i can from them,but everything else via TBA.

I still see Ashoka and Mando Luke on their site.
Those ones will sting when it becomes crunch time for release.
Yeah I noticed that about Woolies as well. The whole thing makes no sense. Most of the Aussie retailers selling HT are still selling them just not PC.

I asked Go Figure about the Dark Trooper specifically and got this reply:

As far as we are aware the law does not forbid items to be sold with button cell batteries, just that they need to be properly secured, tested to ensure security, and warnings in place on products and/or shelving to, warn potential purchasers.
I believe the product itself, when the batteries are in, need to be secured as well, but we have not run into any Hot Toys or other figures that have easily opened compartments thus far.

If Australia runs into any issues, we'll relay all information once provided to us.

Having recently received DX19 Batman from HK I can say without a doubt that the EMP rifle has the easiest to remove cell battery compartment I’ve ever seen lol.

OGK: The government has gone insane! They’re cracking down on all my Hot Toys Star Wars figures! I need to buy more while I can!

OGK’s Family: Does the Shoretrooper take button cell batteries? What lights up?

OGK: INSANE I TELL YOU! INSANE!

From Sideshow - the rep accidentally gave me the internal info (nothing private):

Unfortunately due to new laws in Australia we are unable to supply items that include button batteries. A link to the new law is shown below:

Hey Team,

Just providing an update on a New Policy that has been implemented in Australia. Approx. 171 customer are currently impacted by this. I have attached a copy of the letter and the link providing details.

Button and coin batteries

Back