1/6 Hot Toys - The Clone Wars: Darth Maul (Lord Mandalore) Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not sure I quite get the complaints about the headsculpt. It's within what, a 6 year window of what he would have looked like at that time?

The headsculpt is from Solo, a 2018 film meaning that depiction of Maul/Ray Park has aged roughly 19 years since The Phantom Menace.

From the actual canon timeline this version of Maul is about 13 years older than he was in TPM, meaning there's a difference of effectively 6 years between this sculpt and the age he should be/ look like.

I'm not sure that's significant enough to warrant a completely new headsculpt, obviously some tweaks (if that's even possible within their pipeline), but certainly not enough to warrant reusing a sculpt that's even worse at 13 years innaccurate/ one that's iffy at replicating Ray Park in the first place.

I'm not sure I quite get the complaints about the headsculpt. It's within what, a 6 year window of what he would have looked like at that time?

The headsculpt is from Solo, a 2018 film meaning that depiction of Maul/Ray Park has aged roughly 19 years since The Phantom Menace.

From the actual canon timeline this version of Maul is about 13 years older than he was in TPM, meaning there's a difference of effectively 6 years between this sculpt and the age he should be/ look like.

I'm not sure that's significant enough to warrant a completely new headsculpt, obviously some tweaks (if that's even possible within their pipeline), but certainly not enough to warrant reusing a sculpt that's even worse at 13 years innaccurate/ one that's iffy at replicating Ray Park in the first place.
More like 10 years but sure, using the exact Solo sculpt doesn't make sense, and it doesn't make sense to use the TPM sculpt either. BUT, imo the TPM looks better with this outfit, so I'll be using that on mine.

Closer look from Justin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love how Justin is trying to say that it's a different sculpt from Solo (it's not). The only thing that might be different is the shade of red on it.

Not a fan of the single bend elbows especially on a blade wielder due to it limiting display. While i still do want this, I dont want it the way it's currently being shown off. I dont care for the body, and I also think its completely lazy that they didnt make another sculpt.

Good thing we're each allowed our own opinion because this has more of the old iron man cash grab written all over it. Minimal effort.

This one is an initial pass on it for me especially with the cardboard vault/prison. I'll wait for someone to potentially ditch theirs and maybe pick it up down the line.

Sad. Glad I have my other 4 maul to hold me over.

Last edited:
I love how Justin is trying to say that it's a different sculpt from Solo (it's not). The only thing that might be different is the shade of red on it.

Not a fan of the single bend elbows especially on a blade wielder due to it limiting display. While i still do want this, I dont want it the way it's currently being shown off. I dont care for the body, and I also think its completely lazy that they didnt make another sculpt.

Good thing we're each allowed our own opinion because this has more of the old iron man cash grab written all over it. Minimal effort.

This one is an initial pass on it for me especially with the cardboard vault/prison. I'll wait for someone to potentially ditch theirs and maybe pick it up down the line.

Sad. Glad I have my other 4 maul to hold me over.
I’m most disappointed in the elbows. A character like Maul should have the ability to do crazy poses. Bad decision. However, I still like it enough that I grabbed it. Can’t have too many Maul’s in my book 🤣

I've been jonesing... I dont want to cave at all. Especially after rewatching all of mauls story on youtube recently... sucks to have to choose to have something that isnt the way you want it. I am glad that I have the solo one though and the original phantom menace from Hot toys. I have the two original SS ones and the 2.0 medicom sculpt. I think I can lie to myself that I dont need this one and hopefully shoehorn myself into getting the 2 Ahsoka and the Armorer. Only time will tell.

I've been jonesing... I dont want to cave at all. Especially after rewatching all of mauls story on youtube recently... sucks to have to choose to have something that isnt the way you want it. I am glad that I have the solo one though and the original phantom menace from Hot toys. I have the two original SS ones and the 2.0 medicom sculpt. I think I can lie to myself that I dont need this one and hopefully shoehorn myself into getting the 2 Ahsoka and the Armorer. Only time will tell.
What really got me on this (despite having 4 other 1:6 Maul’s) was the tattooed torso and having him with Ahsoka. Definitely didn’t NEED it, but I couldn’t stop myself. Elbows and all. I have no self-discipline 😔
Anddddd WHERE THE HELL IS THIS?!?! I seriously assumed this would be out so quick. I’ve said that a lot and I feel like a broken record, but he really seemed like such an easy, quick figure to get out considering he looked like he was essentially all re-used parts. I’m wondering if they did a new sculpt and that’s why it took so long.

Anddddd WHERE THE HELL IS THIS?!?! I seriously assumed this would be out so quick. I’ve said that a lot and I feel like a broken record, but he really seemed like such an easy, quick figure to get out considering he looked like he was essentially all re-used parts. I’m wondering if they did a new sculpt and that’s why it took so long.

It has a lot of new parts still. And even if it didn’t, all the parts still have to be manufactured just the same.

But it’s probably the head sculpt. The human process of hand painting the head sculpts is likely the slowest part of the Hot Toys production line. Especially right now with restrictions in place.

They probably pushed all those troopers forward to trade time for the figures with head sculpts.

Yah it's always the ones that you want most that seem to take the longest time unfortunately. What can you do though. Just breathe take it easy and try to relax.

I got the DX17 TPM and Solo Maul, plus with the 1/4 XM studio statue. I doubt I will snag this one especially when they're using that identical Solo Maul hs.

Yah it's always the ones that you want most that seem to take the longest time unfortunately. What can you do though. Just breathe take it easy and try to relax.
I was just being funny. I’m actually quite calm and relaxed and this isn’t even one I’m particularly rushed in getting. As I said, have 4 other 1:6 Mauls so it’s not hurting to not have it. Especially Considering I'm still waiting on my Rex. It was just funny because many, including myself, originally thought this one would be out pretty quickly. But yeah, no Yoga required for me 😂

It has a lot of new parts still. And even if it didn’t, all the parts still have to be manufactured just the same.

But it’s probably the head sculpt. The human process of hand painting the head sculpts is likely the slowest part of the Hot Toys production line. Especially right now with restrictions in place.

They probably pushed all those troopers forward to trade time for the figures with head sculpts.
Yes, I understand all that, but using parts that have been utilized before takes off a significant tooling period. The headsculpt they showed was almost certainly a re-used one (which I’m hoping they changed and would make sense in the extra time factor), the legs seems to be essentially the same as Solo release as well. So that all certainly factors in to the tooling time and reducing overall time to put out. But yeah, the troopers were definitely pushed through I believe. They were easily able to get a ton of those done and out quickly for obvious reasons.

Yes, I understand all that, but using parts that have been utilized before takes off a significant tooling period. The headsculpt they showed was almost certainly a re-used one (which I’m hoping they changed and would make sense in the extra time factor), the legs seems to be essentially the same as Solo release as well. So that all certainly factors in to the tooling time and reducing overall time to put out. But yeah, the troopers were definitely pushed through I believe. They were easily able to get a ton of those done and out quickly for obvious reasons.
The legs between Solo and Clone Wars are completely different. See the attached pics.

I too, am hoping with baited breath that they paid attention and listened to those in outcry that the sculpt needed to be different for the Clone Wars version. Sadly though I think that they will merely push it through.

On a different note... I would love a Rebels "Old Master" Maul...

Wouldnt mind him teaching me that "YOGA" but my Kung Fu will have to suffice... WOOSAHHHHH *force pulls ears**

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211221-124951_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20211221-124951_Google.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 84
  • Screenshot_20211221-124825_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20211221-124825_Google.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 84
This guy is still listed for December 2021 while Ahsoka was shifted to Dec-February

Maybe we'll get something in the next week. It'll be hard to top Solo Maul and how well that came out, but I'm excited for this one.

This guy is still listed for December 2021 while Ahsoka was shifted to Dec-February

Maybe we'll get something in the next week. It'll be hard to top Solo Maul and how well that came out, but I'm excited for this one.
I am excited to hopefully see a new sculpt. I was hoping the mandalorian prison block wasn't gonna be cardboard but of course it will be. It would've been instabuy if it was resin/pvc/etc. or something.

Last edited:

I understand what you were saying, and understand the feeling of impatiently-patiently waiting for the figure.

But my point was I don't think it really has much reuse at all. Headsculpt and most of the body, probably. But the outfit is different, accessories are different, and as DrunknIronRabit said, legs are very different.

I wouldn't get your hopes up for any changes to the headsculpt, though. That ship has probably long sailed. They almost never make changes like that after a figure has been put up for pre-order, outside of some extreme controversy.

Sadly @MyenShi you're right... There aren't enough Tony Starks to Whine about this so even though theres at least a 16 year difference in what mauls face should look like on the fig, we'll get screwed... maybe I could get an Atom Cats fig from you to rub on the wound and make it ease some suffering xp

Sadly @MyenShi you're right... There aren't enough Tony Starks to Whine about this so even though theres at least a 16 year difference in what mauls face should look like on the fig, we'll get screwed... maybe I could get an Atom Cats fig from you to rub on the wound and make it ease some suffering xp

Wannabe Tony Starks you mean. :lol

The vitriol on social media was insane over the Mk 85 headsculpt, even from people who weren't even going to buy the figure.

Back