1/6 Hot Toys - The Clone Wars: Coruscant Guard Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In fact, many paint schemes are better than 501st. They are not that stunning. If it's not their association with lead heroes, I wouldn't bother buying a 501st.

Personally think the blue looks better. But I'm getting both anyway lol.

The possibilities with a 501st trooper greatly exceeds the one of a Coruscant guard. I am glad HT didn't add that dirt spot onto the 501st as well, would'we been too noticeable if one was to squad-build.

Anyhow, I like this figure and will look great on the PT shelf. It would have been cool if they had included a Phase I helmet with this release, but I guess the absence of them in the shows and movies with this colour pattern, made it negligible.

The possibilities with a 501st trooper greatly exceeds the one of a Coruscant guard. I am glad HT didn't add that dirt spot onto the 501st as well, would'we been too noticeable if one was to squad-build.

Anyhow, I like this figure and will look great on the PT shelf. It would have been cool if they had included a Phase I helmet with this release, but I guess the absence of them in the shows and movies with this colour pattern, made it negligible.
I’ve been pretty vocal about the black spot on the helmet, but I realized they included it because the CGI model in ROTS and official pictures of it all have the mark.

B355324A-D06F-4033-B584-E7E9CA8BEE6B.jpeg

Which is annoying for anyone getting more than one, but I guess it’s an impressive yet odd degree of accuracy. Odd because this is supposed to be TCW specific and not ROTS.

Painting over it is an easy solution, but I’ve been thinking of a few methods that are not permanent.

63D41F83-5DB1-412A-8701-DCCBAE764A40.jpeg

I give them a pass for not including the Phase 1 helmet since the armor for the Phase 1 Coruscant Guard had a very different paint scheme.

Last edited:
So, they just simply cloned the textures on CGI models? Or are they an insignia which is present in all helmets? Or maybe it's a nod to Jango hitting his head on the door.

I think so, at least for markings. I think they might of reversed them in some shots as well. I'll keep an eye for it on my next rewatch.

I got drawn to it a few years ago during the scene where Yoda tells the Clone Commander/Captain to focus all their fire on the nearest starship, and I think all the clones in the shot had the same mark on the same spot lol.

Rumors have been heavily floating around lately across various credible SW YouTube channels state that there would be huge Clone Wars flashback in upcoming Obiwan series. If that were truly a case, then Hot Toys version of CW Obiwan and 212th Battalion (grunt + airborn trooper) might be saved up for that specific period, which eventually leaves up plenty of time to army building 501st + Coruscant clones.

Does LucasFilm provide plots to merchandizers beforehand? I mean, they do, but how much before?

I’ve been pretty vocal about the black spot on the helmet, but I realized they included it because the CGI model in ROTS and official pictures of it all have the mark.

View attachment 532524

Which is annoying for anyone getting more than one, but I guess it’s an impressive yet odd degree of accuracy. Odd because this is supposed to be TCW specific and not ROTS.

Painting over it is an easy solution, but I’ve been thinking of a few methods that are not permanent.

View attachment 532511

I give them a pass for not including the Phase 1 helmet since the armor for the Phase 1 Coruscant Guard had a very different paint scheme.
Don't forget the two black indents on the chest plate that have now been left out of this and the previous 501st but is painted in albeit orange for Cody.

In the ROTS shot above, it's interesting all three clones have the same mark on their helmets.

All the AOTC troopers also had the same marks on them in shots.

So, they just simply cloned the textures on CGI models? Or are they an insignia which is present in all helmets? Or maybe it's a nod to Jango hitting his head on the door.

It’s not an insignia. It’s just battle damage.

Hot Toys probably got the references from LFL and meticulously copied the battle damage onto the figure, which in this case was more film accuracy than necessary or desired.

But as a side effect, they’ve recreated how the same CGI model was reused multiple times, even in the same shot. A little lazy, but understandable since this was the early 2000’s and there were over 2000 special effects shots in the film.

So several of these figures together with the damage is screen accurate in a meta way to ROTS.

Interesting find! Seems to be a lot of details easily missed in ROTS. Some models seem to have been finalized sloppy, like the CGI cloning of one clone shock trooper pattern.

It's nice Hot Toys followed the paint scheme from ROTS and not made their own realistic adaption based off the CW model.

But that brings us to another subject: if the pattern is somewhat different in CW compared to ROTS, should they incorporate the added/removed details, like they did here, and still brand it as a CW figure? It might be nitpicking to absurdum, but the discussion is similar to one of a HT stormtrooper.

I noticed this on their 501st figure. The detonator on the back has a blue dot, like in ROTS. But the square on the back is white/non-painted, as it is in CW. Their finished designs then are something in between ROTS and CW. Another thing, the phase I helmet with the 501st release, is it accurate to the show/movie? It's not seen on screen, the only place it is found is with Sideshow’s deluxe release.

Interesting find! Seems to be a lot of details easily missed in ROTS. Some models seem to have been finalized sloppy, like the CGI cloning of one clone shock trooper pattern.

It's nice Hot Toys followed the paint scheme from ROTS and not made their own realistic adaption based off the CW model.

But that brings us to another subject: if the pattern is somewhat different in CW compared to ROTS, should they incorporate the added/removed details, like they did here, and still brand it as a CW figure? It might be nitpicking to absurdum, but the discussion is similar to one of a HT stormtrooper.

I noticed this on their 501st figure. The detonator on the back has a blue dot, like in ROTS. But the square on the back is white/non-painted, as it is in CW. Their finished designs then are something in between ROTS and CW. Another thing, the phase I helmet with the 501st release, is it accurate to the show/movie? It's not seen on screen, the only place it is found is with Sideshow’s deluxe release.
I find this all interesting as well, but it is ultimately something that only matters to a very, very small cadre of detail obsessed collectors. People will buy it regardless of what it’s called or branded under so I guess it doesn’t really matter.

Since Hot Toys is making realistic The Clone Wars figures and not animated, I’m sure they most heavily used the reference material for the film Shock Trooper model.

But had they released it as a ROTS figure, they wouldn’t have been able to include the TCW specific accessory that puts the shock in Shock Trooper. Or use TCW imagery to market it.

As an aside, if Cody had been branded as a TCW figure, they could’ve added the Phase 1 helmet. But I’m sure that version will come eventually.

I think it would’ve looked good if they took the base realistic Shock Trooper paint scheme and lightly weathered it. The figure looks fine as is, but I prefer a bit lighter weathering as I tend to get a few troopers to display together.

C2029192-822E-4E14-913A-E776CDF34533.jpeg

The Phase 1 501st is what it would reasonably look like. The pattern would’ve had to have been sourced from or approved by LFL.

I find this all interesting as well, but it is ultimately something that only matters to a very, very small cadre of detail obsessed collectors. People will buy it regardless of what it’s called or branded under so I guess it doesn’t really matter.

Since Hot Toys is making realistic The Clone Wars figures and not animated, I’m sure they most heavily used the reference material for the film Shock Trooper model.

But had they released it as a ROTS figure, they wouldn’t have been able to include the TCW specific accessory that puts the shock in Shock Trooper. Or use TCW imagery to market it.

As an aside, if Cody had been branded as a TCW figure, they could’ve added the Phase 1 helmet. But I’m sure that version will come eventually.

I think it would’ve looked good if they took the base realistic Shock Trooper paint scheme and lightly weathered it. The figure looks fine as is, but I prefer a bit lighter weathering as I tend to get a few troopers to display together.

View attachment 532536

The Phase 1 501st is what it would reasonably look like. The pattern would’ve had to have been sourced from or approved by LFL.
The Phase 1 501st’s markings are way more subtle across both the helmet and the armour itself. It can be seen most clearly in Battlefront 2 (2017), the developers previously stated that everything they added to the game had to be approved by Lucasfilm.

But to make it accurate HT would have had to include swap put armour pieces too.

4F802413-748B-425D-AA6E-903BA0648FA0.jpeg
A76A849F-6667-4258-8271-D19A7BA4F749.jpeg
6AD5C38C-56F8-4ACB-A544-C841D8FB6FD3.jpeg
E086A1D4-0B59-42AB-B0D1-1100BE41F477.jpeg

Back