Hot Toys TDKR: 1/4th scale Batman [QS001] - Full Reveal & Specs

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the Unreal sculpt and both the wired and unwired capes for the QS001. I can highly recommend all of them. I never understood why there weren't more people jumping all over them when they first came out.

I'd also be interested in anything OT Customs does for the 1/4 DKR - looks like quality stuff too.

Do either of you guys plan on taking on a PERS type system? That would be awesome.

I never understood why there weren't more people jumping all over them when they first came out.
Because they're expensive as well. The price of the official figure alone isn't chump change especially when it's mostly expected for the company to get it right but they don't. Not everybody can afford additional costs to the base figure even if they really look good on them.

I have the Unreal sculpt and both the wired and unwired capes for the QS001. I can highly recommend all of them. I never understood why there weren't more people jumping all over them when they first came out.

I'd also be interested in anything OT Customs does for the 1/4 DKR - looks like quality stuff too.

Do either of you guys plan on taking on a PERS type system? That would be awesome.
Yes, I already have hollowed out versions of my designs for the EB/QS009 and think I’m going to make a new cowl for the TDK version as well.

My challenge now is sourcing durable photo realistic eyes. I’m not confident in my ability to craft eyes that will hold up to the posing long term.

An alternative would be to sell it ready to accept the QS eyes and you could just swap them over.

For this personal cowl I used QS001 eyes.

Attachments

• 9CE26667-6125-497A-9E21-11BB72B64672.jpeg
    9CE26667-6125-497A-9E21-11BB72B64672.jpeg
    98.4 KB · Views: 57
  • 249AB4E0-5118-4290-A314-85CAB468218E.jpeg
    249AB4E0-5118-4290-A314-85CAB468218E.jpeg
    120.5 KB · Views: 56
  • DA50335B-E90E-4CDF-8613-88C715A2D90B.jpeg
    DA50335B-E90E-4CDF-8613-88C715A2D90B.jpeg
    99.2 KB · Views: 58
Because they're expensive as well. The price of the official figure alone isn't chump change especially when it's mostly expected for the company to get it right but they don't. Not everybody can afford additional costs to the base figure even if they really look good on them.
My point was that the cowl sculpt that Unreal Customs makes is clearly a major improvement and it was readily available. If you aren't happy with the QS001 cowl sculpt, there has been an option to do better, provided, as you pointed out, you could afford it. That was the choice I made and I am very happy with my purchases. My comment was based on the fact there were many people posting about their lack of satisfaction with the HT cowl sculpt, but it didn't seem like anyone was doing anything about it. I guess that those people simply preferred to complain about it, rather than either sell the figure they weren't happy with or spend a little more and get something that made it stellar. I guess that is what I really never understood.

I won't digress into a "who can afford it" or "hot toys should have done better" type of discussion because it has nothing to do with the quality of the customizers or their absolute necessity in this industry. Accordingly, you can't fault them for charging for their time and skills. Clearly, if there wasn't a demand for their stuff at the prices they choose to charge, they wouldn't be in business.

In the words of Forrest Gump, "That's all I have to say about that." ;)

Yes, I already have hollowed out versions of my designs for the EB/QS009 and think I’m going to make a new cowl for the TDK version as well.

My challenge now is sourcing durable photo realistic eyes. I’m not confident in my ability to craft eyes that will hold up to the posing long term.

An alternative would be to sell it ready to accept the QS eyes and you could just swap them over.

For this personal cowl I used QS001 eyes.
Fantastic work on that BB sculpt!

I don't think I'd be able to donate a sculpt just for the eyes, but I would definitely be interested in a 1/4 DKR with the movable eyes should you decide to go forward.

My point was that the cowl sculpt that Unreal Customs makes is clearly a major improvement and it was readily available. If you aren't happy with the QS001 cowl sculpt, there has been an option to do better, provided, as you pointed out, you could afford it. That was the choice I made and I am very happy with my purchases. My comment was based on the fact there were many people posting about their lack of satisfaction with the HT cowl sculpt, but it didn't seem like anyone was doing anything about it. I guess that those people simply preferred to complain about it, rather than either sell the figure they weren't happy with or spend a little more and get something that made it stellar. I guess that is what I really never understood.

I won't digress into a "who can afford it" or "hot toys should have done better" type of discussion because it has nothing to do with the quality of the customizers or their absolute necessity in this industry. Accordingly, you can't fault them for charging for their time and skills. Clearly, if there wasn't a demand for their stuff at the prices they choose to charge, they wouldn't be in business.

In the words of Forrest Gump, "That's all I have to say about that." ;)
I still think the stock QS001 cowl is near perfect and one of the best sculpts anyones made. The tweaks I would make are maybe only a 2% overall change.

Attachments

• D9DD578E-053C-4421-B595-87147BB73203.jpeg
    D9DD578E-053C-4421-B595-87147BB73203.jpeg
    120 KB · Views: 60
I didn't question the customizers' quality of their work or the price they charge. I'm pointing out even with their availability and how good they are, majority cannot afford to put down that additional cost which what? Amounts to another full 1/6 figure? I'm not exactly sure how much they cost fully painted.

I do agree that for the buyers of the original release that weren't happy could have sold it and they probably did. Who knows? But having dissatisfaction on something yet keeping it just for completion's sake isn't unheard of either in this hobby.

I still think the stock QS001 cowl is near perfect and one of the best sculpts anyones made. The tweaks I would make are maybe only a 2% overall change.
If that's the case, then why would anyone purchase your cowl sculpt? Not trying to be a smart***, but I don't understand what it is your selling.

I bought the Unreal sculpt because it is more movie accurate and looks aggressive like it should. All of these are improvements (IMO) from the HT sculpt. It is a completely different look and one that I really wanted and thought the figure deserved. If it was just a 2% change, I wouldn't have bothered.

If that's the case, then why would anyone purchase your cowl sculpt? Not trying to be a smart***, but I don't understand what it is your selling.

I bought the Unreal sculpt because it is more movie accurate and looks aggressive like it should. All of these are improvements (IMO) from the HT sculpt. It is a completely different look and one that I really wanted and thought the figure deserved. If it was just a 2% change, I wouldn't have bothered.
Chill out man

How much was the Unreal sculpt?

Chill out man

So, someone who makes their livelihood selling custom projects says that their product is only a 2% improvement over what the market already has, and now they expect to sell any of them? I didn't understand that, so I asked for clarification to see if there was something I misunderstood.

By all means, please go ahead and explain what he meant.

No one has made a more accurate, overall, cowl than the QS001 in any scale except MAYBE the Medicom and it has some issues too.

Ive done photo analysis on the actual cowl and every sculpt out there. The QS001 is consistently the closest across overal height, width, facial proportions, symmetry and crispness of details.

Its about 98% perfect. A tweak of a few lines and proportions would make it unmatched. Would most people recognize the difference? I don’t know. I did a rendering to fix what I perceive to be the issues based on extensive comparisons. The biggest thing is the angle of the lines across the sinuses.

Attachments

• F3FF8C72-1FB5-4E3B-B57A-5E12743E3A67.jpeg
    F3FF8C72-1FB5-4E3B-B57A-5E12743E3A67.jpeg
    141.6 KB · Views: 64
Thank you for explaining that. I can't really see a difference, but I guess that's the 2%.
I think the difference you’re looking for may be subjective. I find people that like more dramatic looking recreations like Unreal’s work and I’m not criticizing it at all.

I only like to make changes if it’s based on an empirical source of difference like closely analyzed photos. There are a lot of people like me who are suckers for strict accuracy. Sometimes the result doesn’t look as different as people would want, because what they’re actually after is a feeling or a certain expression of emotion. Sometimes pure accuracy isn’t as good for that.

The new SS PF Begins statue is a good example of capturing a feeling rather than accuracy.

I think the difference you’re looking for may be subjective. I find people that like more dramatic looking recreations like Unreal’s work and I’m not criticizing it at all.

I only like to make changes if it’s based on an empirical source of difference like closely analyzed photos. There are a lot of people like me who are suckers for strict accuracy. Sometimes the result doesn’t look as different as people would want, because what they’re actually after is a feeling or a certain expression of emotion. Sometimes pure accuracy isn’t as good for that.

The new SS PF Begins statue is a good example of capturing a feeling rather than accuracy.

What are your thoughts on the QS001 Bruce sculpt? I see lots of opportunity for someone with an eye for strict accuracy there. The only one I have seen for a 1/4 figure that I thought was amazing was made by Rovo Jin and that was exceptionally expensive.

The QS001 still feels too elongated when I look at mine but obviously that's far from scientific lol. The Bruce Wayne head is quite a bit wider so how does he fit inside that cowl?

Back