Hot Toys Spider-Man (Andrew Garfield) - The Amazing Spider-Man 2 [NWH]

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just out of curiosity, for some of you bigger spenders, is there a bare bones figure cost that’s gunna be a straw that breaks the inflations back for buying these, or is it balls to the walls?

I feel maybe in the next year and a half, we might be looking at 400$ bare bones figures. And for me personally, I question my hobby 😂

I feel for an extra 50$ they could have thrown In the lizard base or something.

just out of curiosity, for some of you bigger spenders, is there a bare bones figure cost that’s gunna be a straw that breaks the inflations back for buying these, or is it balls to the walls?
I stopped actively collecting because after a decade or so I just ... lost interest in acquisition and display. But the price was definitely one factor. There just reaches a point where you think "What great experiences or creature comforts could that money buy instead?" -- $400USD for a bare bones figure? Fuggedaboudit. Too much opportunity cost. Other people may have a different threshold because they get more joy out of it or whatever ... but even before prices started climbing to great heights, I looked at what statue collectors pay and :thud:

I stopped actively collecting because after a decade or so I just ... lost interest in acquisition and display. But the price was definitely one factor. There just reaches a point where you think "What great experiences or creature comforts could that money buy instead?" -- $400USD for a bare bones figure? Fuggedaboudit. Too much opportunity cost. Other people may have a different threshold because they get more joy out of it or whatever ... but even before prices started climbing to great heights, I looked at what statue collectors pay and :thud:
I'm still actively collecting but am much more selective now. I sold off all of my Infinity War and End Game Hot Toys and focused on Star Wars...and even with that, I've gotten more selective. For example, I really enjoy the Bad Batch cartoon and think the five together on a shelf would be a magnificent display BUT not $1500+ magnificent. If the three Spidey's came out right after NWH I would've instantly pre-ordered, now I'm on the fence.

Side note, if I get the three Spidey's (and it's either all three or none for me at this point) I'm thinking of getting the classic suit Tom versus the integrated suit but I also have the video game classic suit so I'm a bit torn. I've never loved the integrated suit, but it's the screen accurate one to display the three together. I'm sure I'll end up pre-ordering today one way or the other, but there's still a small part of me asking "will I care about that 3 Spidey display in 18 months when they're all here?"

I am curious why this figure is only up on Sideshow, and isn't even being shown on the Hot Toys Facebook page as a new post? Is it because he was already "revealed" before?

"will I care about that 3 Spidey display in 18 months when they're all here?"
I never wanted a NWH display myself; I enjoyed Into the Spiderverse a lot more if we're talking multiverse stories. Looking critically at the movie Spideys being offered, the final scene, classically styled Holland suit is interesting but I've always had issues with the bodies HT uses for their Holland figures. The Garfield Spidey is almost a straight re-issue ... a fun figure back in the day but they didn't fix the proportions or the suit colours/textures.

I think the Maguire suit is the best of the NWH offerings because of the original films which IMO have become classics, but I can't bring myself to pull the trigger on it when I look over and see my Classic Suit version (VGM) ticking all the boxes already ... that being said that's the one I'm most interested in seeing a production copy of.

I'm definitely still in for Tobey and that end-of-movie Holland Spidey. I'm in for Ock if they do something about that Molina sculpt and I'll probably get Green Goblin (the Power Ranger villain version).

I'm not going completist but that would be a fairly significant tally from NWH. For me it will count as representing the Raimi movies aswell, assuming Hot Toys isn't going to actually make figures directly from those movies.

I never wanted a NWH display myself; I enjoyed Into the Spiderverse a lot more if we're talking multiverse stories. Looking critically at the movie Spideys being offered, the final scene, classically styled Holland suit is interesting but I've always had issues with the bodies HT uses for their Holland figures. The Garfield Spidey is almost a straight re-issue ... a fun figure back in the day but they didn't fix the proportions or the suit colours/textures.

I think the Maguire suit is the best of the NWH offerings because of the original films which IMO have become classics, but I can't bring myself to pull the trigger on it when I look over and see my Classic Suit version (VGM) ticking all the boxes already ... that being said that's the one I'm most interested in seeing a production copy of.
You're like the angel on my left shoulder saying "you don't need these...look at all the flaws...". I root for the angel a lot...but unfortunately the devil has a James Earl Jones quality voice and is quite influential... :)

For the record I have not YET pre-ordered but have looked a few different times and definitely would get the end of film classic suit Holland. I'd probably sell my VG classic suit for a song to (slightly) offset the cost.

I'm still actively collecting but am much more selective now. I sold off all of my Infinity War and End Game Hot Toys and focused on Star Wars...and even with that, I've gotten more selective. For example, I really enjoy the Bad Batch cartoon and think the five together on a shelf would be a magnificent display BUT not $1500+ magnificent. If the three Spidey's came out right after NWH I would've instantly pre-ordered, now I'm on the fence.

Side note, if I get the three Spidey's (and it's either all three or none for me at this point) I'm thinking of getting the classic suit Tom versus the integrated suit but I also have the video game classic suit so I'm a bit torn. I've never loved the integrated suit, but it's the screen accurate one to display the three together. I'm sure I'll end up pre-ordering today one way or the other, but there's still a small part of me asking "will I care about that 3 Spidey display in 18 months when they're all here?"
To be honest, if you are already wondering if you will still care about that display in 18 months then I think you have already answered that for yourself. If I was you, I wouldn't get these figures.

Anything I order I know I will still have love and excitement for it regardless of when it's released. I would just take that into account if you are already questioning that.

I feel maybe in the next year and a half, we might be looking at 400$ bare bones figures. And for me personally, I question my hobby 😂

Seems like the lizard base is being sold separately for licensing reasons. This isn’t a ‘NWH’ version but ‘AS2.’The lizard base is NWH. Seems like every other licensor is having the same issue with Garfield for some reason. Not sure what the legalities are and why Toby didn’t seem to have the same issues.

To be honest, if you are already wondering if you will still care about that display in 18 months then I think you have already answered that for yourself. If I was you, I wouldn't get these figures.

Anything I order I know I will still have love and excitement for it regardless of when it's released. I would just take that into account if you are already questioning that.
Fair. I should be clear though that I know I'll really like the display of the three of them, it's more will I like it a grand worth? That's probably not going to change over the course of 18 months as that's what I'm wrestling with right now. Like you said though, if I'm wrestling with it, probably don't need them. If I can make it through today...I've got a chance! :)

Fair. I should be clear though that I know I'll really like the display of the three of them, it's more will I like it a grand worth? That's probably not going to change over the course of 18 months as that's what I'm wrestling with right now. Like you said though, if I'm wrestling with it, probably don't need them. If I can make it through today...I've got a chance! :)
I get that with the price. I limit to how many figures i can order within one year, so i heavily weigh before anything i order. In the end, only get it if that's what you want.

"will I care about that 3 Spidey display in 18 months when they're all here?"

Yeah my approach is also much more selective. I only have one definetive version of any character (so one spider man, one iron man, etc). and I really try to think about it from "am I interested in this figure because it's available, or does it really add something to my collection"

So for as cool as I think the 3-spidey display would be, I just can't justify the cost /space/ etc. right now.

I've long since checked out of this scale, I'm buying other lines or third party stuff, the occasional HT at a steep discount. Something has to be pretty special to care at this point, and there hasn't been much

I also try to be more selective these days because of space mainly but prices are insane for sure. Even mezco one 12 are pretty high, same for mafex and star wars black toys.

What I don't like about hot toys specifically is 10 years ago the prices were lower than now and you got more accessories. Sure many never leave the box but nevertheless you had that option. Now it feels like I get much less unless its something used over and over such as Spiderman webs.

I still like hot toys overall just not as much as I used to. The only hot toys figure I've preordered is nwh final Spiderman outfit.

The preorder came out of nowhere, but glad to see it finally available. I wasn't expecting any changes from what was initially revealed, and at least it kept the original release window rather than a later one to accommodate the later preorder window. The short turnaround probably means the production run size is (nearly) set, so massive discounts down the line because of overproduction may not be as likely.

I sold off the original ASM2 release, and despite all its flaws, I missed having an Andrew Garfield Spidey in my collection to represent the ASM films (despite all their flaws). Bonus that this includes the ASM1 unmasked head sculpt and full interchangeable hands instead of the half-hands from the first release. Until there's a good Emma Stone Gwen Stacy figure (or even head sculpt) available, I'll be pairing this with Spider-Gwen for a bit of an alternate reality Peter/Gwen display. No interest in a NWH display either, so that'll be it for me.

Back