Hot toys Snowspeeder Pilot Luke Skywalker

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some figures have a tendency to fall into into natural poses, but not this one.

I don't know whether it's the tightness of the leg padding, as thin as it is compared to Sideshow's, or just the result of doing away with the waist grabber, so that the snowdrift is now in an awkward place.

I haven't looked at him much since he arrived but I've played with him this morning to try and get something display worthy out of him that doesn't make me want to partially hide him behind another figure.

I think I ended up with a passable pose, but it doesn't bring him to the level I expect from a Hot Toys.

Wasn't looking to get anything dramatic out of him, but merely the natural human effect most Hot Toys give you with little effort.

The upper half fits the bill to my eyes, but the legs are a poser (pun intended).

A tiny adjustment since I began this post improved things.

Some of it is due to the trousers being so tight at the crotch, creating a noticeable gap that makes the legs look awkward at the thighs. I even removed the crotch grabber so there'd be nothing extraneous to impact on posing or force the thighs wider.

It reminded me of another problematical orange suit: SW Toys' first Hannibal Lecter had a jump suit so tight it was practically obscene! I ended up cutting it in half (under his straitjacket) so the crotch could be pulled lower.

In search of inspiration for my flagging figure-fu I went through Sideshow's videos and found their unboxing.

Never before have I wanted Sideshow's assistance in how to be a poser so much. :lol

Understandably, they don't use the waist grabber for standing poses.

I really like what Guy got out of him with this one (apart from the left hand):

ssl.jpg

I want him fully kitted out with helmet and gloves, so it'd mean cutting the trigger finger.

EDIT:

Almost immediately as I started working on the legs to mimic the pose I had a breakthrough. This figure does need a bit a dynamism to bring him life.

For the first time I'm getting the feeling of being fully pleased with the figure.

:yess:

Last edited:
"All items regarding Button Battery compliance are being examined on a Case by Case basis and we wont have any final answers or decisions" until "a thorough examination has been done on the item in full." They are exploring the idea of "selling the item without the Battery Add On feature."

I would say that this is likely what will happen with this figure as the saber arm can't be made compliant. The main problems are that the compartment cover must have a captive screw (HT saber arms, including Luke Snowspeeder, have a screw that is separate, so not compliant,) and that all products have to be put before an independent testing lab to be cleared as compliant. Very expensive for a single add-on/bonus item like the saber arm.

I have liked PC in the past but this is likely the last order I place with them - beyond this, other strange issues with pennies, very slow on receiving/shipping product, sometimes slow communication, prices getting pretty high. I've started to like the HK sellers more - just a lot more clarity and speed.

Is there any legal way the buyer can give informed consent to receiving it as-is?

Got this delivered yesterday and I feel...nothing. Is the 1/6 thrill wearing off?

Got this delivered yesterday and I feel...nothing. Is the 1/6 thrill wearing off?

I'm getting this feeling especially with Star Wars, even the classic ones like Luke Snowspeeder. Didn't even look at him for a day or so after unboxing.

Cancelled some pre-orders, and will review others the closer they get to release.

Disney's endless Star Wars overkill, and the varying degrees in quality of the series doesn't help to sustain a positive mood for even the classic era.

I still get the 1/6 thrill, but nowadays it's from properties other than the big three (Star Wars, DC and especially Marvel). The figures I look forward most to are WWII, historical, and 'real world' representations of people even if they come from fictional sources (e.g., Stranger Things, The Last of US, Tomb Raider, Red Dead Redemption etc).

Uniformed super heroes and 'space' figures are dropping off my required list, yet when I look at my Star Wars pre-orders to weigh up the pros and cons, to try to inject some enthusiasm into myself, I feel a reluctance to cancel just in case I'm going through a phase. I don't think I'll regret not owning the ones I have thrown overboard because, like Moff Gideon, they're pretty uninspiring looking.

I'm getting this feeling especially with Star Wars, even the classic ones like Luke Snowspeeder. Didn't even look at him for a day or so after unboxing.

Cancelled some pre-orders, and will review others the closer they get to release.

Disney's endless Star Wars overkill, and the varying degrees in quality of the series doesn't help to sustain a positive mood for even the classic era.

I still get the 1/6 thrill, but nowadays it's from properties other than the big three (Star Wars, DC and especially Marvel). The figures I look forward most to are WWII, historical, and 'real world' representations of people even if they come from fictional sources (e.g., Stranger Things, The Last of US, Tomb Raider, Red Dead Redemption etc).

Uniformed super heroes and 'space' figures are dropping off my required list, yet when I look at my Star Wars pre-orders to weigh up the pros and cons, to try to inject some enthusiasm into myself, I feel a reluctance to cancel just in case I'm going through a phase. I don't think I'll regret not owning the ones I have thrown overboard because, like Moff Gideon, they're pretty uninspiring looking.
I've been through these phases as well. Not enough to sell everything, but just losing some interest. It always comes back, maybe when the weather gets colder and we are doing inside stuff again ??

But I must admit a bit of variety never goes astray. I have Marvel, DC and Star Wars with a few other ones like Logan, Gandalf etc. It definitely helps with a bit of variety.

I pretty much feel the same way.

The direction of my purchases in the last year or so has been heading away from "Star Wars" and moving towards other licenses. Most of my orders in the last year have been within the "historical" military genre, which is where I initially started in this hobby.

I haven't even ordered this Snowspeeder Luke nor the ROTJ Scout Trooper and Bike set yet! :google

I have "11" pre-orders out there and I also don't want to continue adding to that queue. The long waits just take away from the excitement and enjoyment of the hobby. Seriously considering just taking the deposit hit and cancelling a few of them.

Getting back to Snowspeeder Luke, I've got a significant amount of Sideshow RPs and am not sure if this figure warrants them. Should I continue building the RPs up and wait for another product that blows me away or not, is the question...

I've been through these phases as well. Not enough to sell everything, but just losing some interest. It always comes back, maybe when the weather gets colder and we are doing inside stuff again ??

But I must admit a bit of variety never goes astray. I have Marvel, DC and Star Wars with a few other ones like Logan, Gandalf etc. It definitely helps with a bit of variety.

What's getting to me with collecting 1/6 Star Wars is the seeming endlessness of it.

Every few months there's another series with new characters and new designs and it's a tempting rabbit hold until you stop and ask yourself, is this the Star Wars I want represented in my collection? And lately, no it isn't. :lol

It's been the ploy since Empire of the Strikes Back, and at some point I accepted the fact that the movies, and then the series, were just glorified toy adverts. There has to be limit somewhere.

I suckered myself into buying a Shoretrooper to have an example of the armour. Yet it has no real heritage from the OT, and it's nearest origin, the Scout Trooper is a much more nostalgic and effective design. I ended up putting him at the back of a Detolf so I didn't have to see his trousers and boots!

The Prequels aren't canon to me, so neither are Hayden and Ewan's portrayals of Vader and Obi-Wan. So it was easy to skip those new figures. (I think it was Jonathan Hales, the screenplay writer of AOTC, who said in Light & Magic that he was appalled by Ewan's acting in the PT: "He phoned it in." :lol)

I pretty much feel the same way.

The direction of my purchases in the last year or so has been heading away from "Star Wars" and moving towards other licenses. Most of my orders in the last year have been within the "historical" military genre, which is where I initially started in this hobby.

I haven't even ordered this Snowspeeder Luke nor the ROTJ Scout Trooper and Bike set yet! :google

I have "11" pre-orders out there and I also don't want to continue adding to that queue. The long waits just take away from the excitement and enjoyment of the hobby. Seriously considering just taking the deposit hit and cancelling a few of them.

Getting back to Snowspeeder Luke, I've got a significant amount of Sideshow RPs and am not sure if this figure warrants them. Should I continue building the RPs up and wait for another product that blows me away or not, is the question...

My rule is, if I have to think about whether I really want a figure, then at heart I don't want it. I should've listened to myself more before I ordered the Shoretrooper.

Even with figures from the OT I've found it easier to say no, as with the Luke in Bespin Fatigues 2.0.

I know when I do want a figure, because my pre-order finger gets itchy and I can't relax until it's done!

OT only for me. I do watch the new shows etc and find them ok, reasonable modern stuff. I did not like the prequals back when they came out, kind of grew to like them, but now not keen. I dislike the sequel era totally. So for me it is OT only, to be honest mainly OT rebels as I don't want to get into army building troopers and I enjoy the unique looking individual figures.

Finally opened this...first look.

ROGUE LEADER LUKE 001.jpg

ROGUE LEADER LUKE 002.jpg

I'm understanding the chatter in here about not being overly excited here. Was it the wait? Is it the stop-and-start releases? The tsunami of pre-orders with years-long waits, most inspired by uninspiring sources? All of the above? I don't know.

But I have to begrudgingly agree. The bloom is off on collecting lately.

It's a nice looking figure. Maybe I'll feel more inspired by it when the first snow hits.

Finally opened this...first look.

I'm understanding the chatter in here about not being overly excited here. Was it the wait? Is it the stop-and-start releases? The tsunami of pre-orders with years-long waits, most inspired by uninspiring sources? All of the above? I don't know.

But I have to begrudgingly agree. The bloom is off on collecting lately.

It's a nice looking figure. Maybe I'll feel more inspired by it when the first snow hits.

There's a tsunami of all manner of 1/6, and a tsunami of Star Wars movies/series themselves.

When Hot Toys got the license it was an exciting time imagining all the OT characters that would become high end 1/6 figures. Then the OT became just a small part of the range, submerged by product from brand new material, superseded by brand new characters with no real legacy.

For me it's the sheer amount of content being produced that's killing my excitement, not to mention the vastly mixed quality of that content.

I didn't find Snowspeeder Luke easy to get a natural pose out of, so that didn't help. Maybe it's also because I had Sideshow's version for so long?

However, I think the excitement could be regenerated if Hot Toys were to put figures such as the Death Star Trooper, General Veers, ANH Tusken, etc up for pre-order.

Aside from that, Hot Toys is losing my interest with Star Wars. I'm not losing my interest in 1/6 itself, it's just being replaced by other themes.

I passed on this figure for Jango and Scout Trooper. I would have considered Luke to be in the small group of three HT that I have any interest in. I guess at the end of the day I have the DX Luke and I like "plaque" stands that made me decide to pass.

Back