Hot Toys rubber deterioration

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xkage824

Super Freak
Reaction score
deterioration is the nightmare we are all waiting to happen
but how do we prevent it?
i only just started collecting hot toys a few months ago and I soon became aware of the risks of buying hot toys and suffering the dreaded rubber deterioration. now i am looking for a solution to this problem to prevent any damage before it happens.
i learned about how UV rays damage the colors on them so i blacked out my windows and got LED lights.
I learned how dust can also discolor collectibles so i bought display cases for them. (good old detolfs)
now i am in search of the solution to the third and what i believe to be final problem.
I read somewhere that hot toys was working on a solution to this issue but does anybody know if they succeeded?
does silicone spray really work?
what other solutions do people know of?

You sound a bit too OCD about your toys imo. Keep ' em in your detolfs, don't play with them too much and just enjoy them. You can't stop time and sadly nothing lasts forever. No point beating yourself with worry over them..:monkey1

Exactly what wanderer said, just enjoy them and quit worrying.

do what i did if your that worried and seal the detolf shut! i just placed cellotape along the gaps as neat and tidy as i could! it doesnt show up unless up close! i placed a cup of water in the detolf to keep up humidity and also placed a couple of those small hot toys white packages inside that say 'do not eat' as they supposedly suck up any moisture in the air! i cut 1 or 2 small holes in the cellotape to let in a tiny amount of air!

the results of this mean my shelfs take a couple of months for a tiny dust build up to oocur so i dont have to clean them every 3 weeks like when it wasnt sealed!
it also means i cant get to repose them as often as id like!:(

well your entitled to your own opinion.
i know i personally would prefer not to see thousands of dollars turn to dust.
i would rather sell them all than do that.

There are been numerous threads discussing this. Some of the older muscle bodies like Rambo are deteriorating/splitting. And of course, ED-209. Then there was the leaking Batman DX suit. It's definitely an issue.

dont bend the arms, my co worker educated me on rubber bodies and as a result I personally stay away from them. I like to pose my figures in dynamic poses, but unfortunately if you bend the joints and what not it will deteriorate since stress is being put on the rubber skin. His solution is to have them all in neutral positions or having the arms extended. He never bends the joints, so unfortunately alot of the figures look lame just stading there.

Just either deal with it? Or be more away of which figures you buy, its like not wanting your shoes to yellow, it will happen no matter what.

Why not just buy two of each figure and box one of them?

As much as I'd love to enjoy these things for years to come, and pass them on to my kids and grandkids so they know what a nutter their grand-dad was, I'd prefer to just enjoy them now.

Last edited:
Hot toys has a solution they are currently implementing on many of their 1/6th scale figures.

this ongoing solution is currently being used on the t2 T-800 figure, Wolverine, and percius.

They've stopped using it as much as possible.
the only way to avoid deterioration on the HT figures with rubber is not to buy them.

do what i did if your that worried and seal the detolf shut! i just placed cellotape along the gaps as neat and tidy as i could! it doesnt show up unless up close! i placed a cup of water in the detolf to keep up humidity and also placed a couple of those small hot toys white packages inside that say 'do not eat' as they supposedly suck up any moisture in the air! i cut 1 or 2 small holes in the cellotape to let in a tiny amount of air!

the results of this mean my shelfs take a couple of months for a tiny dust build up to oocur so i dont have to clean them every 3 weeks like when it wasnt sealed!

i thought about using those packs that come with them in the box too
it would make sense
as for the glass of water... not sure how that would help

let me get this straight. so you put water in the detolf to provide moisture, but you also put those silica packets in there to absorb moisture? please Einstein, tell me the logic behind this great endeavor of your's.

let me get this straight. so you put water in the detolf to provide moisture, but you also put those silica packets in there to absorb moisture? please Einstein, tell me the logic behind this great endeavor of your's.

:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

Going forward I don't see a problem. Hot Toys are now making most bodies out of plastic and they have sorted the DX Batman issue with plastic abs. They seem to be straying away from rubber. The Iron Man is the only issue I can forsee and I haven't had any problem with it. The worst case the abs fade a bit and in most cases it's only noticable in direct light. You also don't know how Hot Toys are improving the new Iron Mans coming out. Maybe now they know the problem and have fixed it.

As for in the past, people's muscle bodies cracked due to them not knowing what causes it. Extreme posing, dust, humidity. Some where just unlucky. Now you know, and knowing is half the battle.

if the collectibles are kept in their boxes would they be preserved?
if so could you not just create these conditions in your display to preserve them?

if so could you not just create these conditions in your display to preserve them?

To that I say that there are mint on card Kenner Chewbacca's with green limbs because the plastic has discoloured due to age.

People who do keep their figures boxed say that they have to take them out every now and again for an 'airing', as keeping figures boxed 100% of the time can create moisture build-up problems. I don't know why this is a problem if the moisture-absorbing sachets are kept in the box as well.

I think a reliable solution to avoid dust build-up would be to place the figure in a vacuum-sealed bag and store it inside a lead-lined box in the cellar.

so in short, no. you Really can't.

Either A
Pose them once, then never touch them again.

B
Don't buy figures with Rubber bodies/ suits

C
Buy statues if figures with joints bother you.

that's really your only options.

People who do keep their figures boxed say that they have to take them out every now and again for an 'airing', as keeping figures boxed 100% of the time can create moisture build-up problems. I don't know why this is a problem if the moisture-absorbing sachets are kept in the box as well.

I think a reliable solution to avoid dust build-up would be to place the figure in a vacuum-sealed bag and store it inside a lead-lined box in the cellar.

That's what I did. Then I filled the room full of concrete.

Back