Action Figure Hot Toys - Quarter Scale 1/4 The Mandalorian and The Child (Deluxe)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is really bizarre. I've had mine for several months and just took a look and he's fine. Mine isn't inside a cabinet, just on a shelf under LED lighting. Anything with your climate that might be causing an acceleration of this issue? humid, etc.? Haven't seen this before. If you go the re-paint route, prime it, paint it and seal it and hopefully it'll stick. Good luck!
Hey dennis, thanks for the reply.

Yeah, nothing that I can tell, climate controlled, low humidity room and cabinet with cool leds. Figure gets lit up occasionally for brief periods of time.

1675384198141.jpeg

1675384112085.jpeg

Last edited:
That is really bizarre. I've had mine for several months and just took a look and he's fine. Mine isn't inside a cabinet, just on a shelf under LED lighting. Anything with your climate that might be causing an acceleration of this issue? humid, etc.? Haven't seen this before. If you go the re-paint route, prime it, paint it and seal it and hopefully it'll stick. Good luck!

@endor1 has both the original and replacement chest armor pieces in their last picture. Both look the same despite the different timing and conditions of how it happened.

It also looks to be under the clear coat and in the silver paint itself. And I know they take care of their collectibles.

So with all that, I don’t think it’s an environmental factor. It really is bizarre though.

I’m sorry this happened. Really unfortunate and unacceptable for any figure, but especially one that costs this much.

Hopefully it’s not widespread and maybe a batch issue but everyone should go check their figures just in case.

Last edited:
Thanks MyenShi. That's correct, the clear coat appears intact and retains a smooth finish and shine, while the silver paint is giving off a corse metallic look when the light is positioned above the figure. Like it is in my display cab.

New replacement chest armor installed on Mando (left). Original defective chest armor on the (right).

1675385594551.jpeg

[Edit...] It's very strange indeed. Some angles of lighting may not show the issue if the light comes from a front direct angle. So, this could be elusive to the eyes at first. But, my pics are simply taken by standing right n front of the figure as are seen, quite close to the figure.

I have emailed Sideshow, and received a customer service denial response. I'll be contacting them via phone as a follow up.

Last edited:
I wanted to reach out to our collectors who have the Hot Toys 1/4 Scale Mandalorian figure. Also, I apologize for the long post.

Sorry if this topic dims anyone's spirits about this figure, but I feel it's important to give you guys a heads up with an on going issue I've had.

So, keep an eye out for defects or issues with the silver paint on all the armor and helmet, jetpack ect..... read on.

I've had an issue with the chest armor's silver paint that SS customer service acknowledged and replaced last Jan. 2022. After that, everything seemed good with 1/4 scale Mando. But, with all the distractions this last year I haven't examined him up close since then, or spent much time posing him. It's just been in a clean, closed cabinet.

Sadly, I just opened the cabinet to bring him out for some pics and its apparent the silver paint is reacting with something, because light coming from a down angle (led cabinet lights) gives the armor a corroded appearance. It looks horrible on the helmet, chest, vambraces, pauldrons, and thigh armor. Its still a smooth finish and the clear coat is intact, but the silver paint is looking progressively worse.

It now looks like the same defect that caused me to ask for a replacement chest armor has appeared again on other silver armor parts.

The last pic shows both chest armors side by side. The installed is the replacement. The loose one is the original defective one. They now look the same, all really bad. I don't think this should be happening. I'm wondering how wide spread this issue is, and it might not be just my copy that is having this issue?

Unfortunately, after 30 days, Sideshow states they're will not offer customer service. And that window has passed for me. Even though they previously acknowledged this issue and sent a replacement chest armor, they will do no more to help.

I know many who own this figure would like to upgrade the paint to a chrome finish. While some are happy with the stock silver paint as is. I wasn't planning on doing the chrome paint upgrade.

Please keep watch on your Mando figure, if it's within the 30 day time period, don't hesitate to ask SS for a customer service request. After that I would still let them know about the issue, in case it turn out to be a more widespread issue.

If there's any further info or developments I can provide, I'll be sure sure to update everyone.

The pics speak for themselves. All pics of the silver paint defects on the Deluxe Hot Toys 1/4 scale Mandalorian figure....
. View attachment 621283
View attachment 621284
View attachment 621298
View attachment 621288
View attachment 621287
View attachment 621289
View attachment 621290
View attachment 621291

View attachment 621293
View attachment 621294
View attachment 621295
View attachment 621296
View attachment 621297
View attachment 621303

I'm just guessing here but your problem is probably that your mando is on a direct and very intense led light or is in a place where the sun light gets him for a long period of time during the day

Another guessing is humidity?? But that's to much damage , I mean the destruction of the paint is to great, where do you have the cabinet?? Does that happened to you twice??

I also haven't seen that before, but maybe the repaint route is the answer for you?

I'm just guessing here but your problem is probably that your mando is on a direct and very intense led light or is in a place where the sun light gets him for a long period of time during the day
Hey Omar, actually my room has no sun light exposure of any sort, and the led strip lights I'm using in the cabinet are quite dim, being additionally covered with white paper to make them even more dim. My room is typically, very dark with mood lighting.

I'm in a reasonably dry climate, and the room is kept cool indoors. Still a mystery. But, these could be early batch productions?

Another guessing is humidity?? But that's to much damage , I mean the destruction of the paint is to great, where do you have the cabinet?? Does that happened to you twice??

I also haven't seen that before, but maybe the repaint route is the answer for you?

I know endor1 to be an experienced collector who takes care of their figures like others here.

I don’t believe it’s anything they did.

It’s under the clear coat on plastic parts so it’d take a lot more exposure to various elements over a much longer period of time if that were the case.

I wanted to reach out to our collectors who have the Hot Toys 1/4 Scale Mandalorian figure. Also, I apologize for the long post.

Sorry if this topic dims anyone's spirits about this figure, but I feel it's important to give you guys a heads up with an on going issue I've had.

So, keep an eye out for defects or issues with the silver paint on all the armor and helmet, jetpack ect..... read on.

I've had an issue with the chest armor's silver paint that SS customer service acknowledged and replaced last Jan. 2022. After that, everything seemed good with 1/4 scale Mando. But, with all the distractions this last year I haven't examined him up close since then, or spent much time posing him. It's just been in a clean, closed cabinet.

Sadly, I just opened the cabinet to bring him out for some pics and its apparent the silver paint is reacting with something, because light coming from a down angle (led cabinet lights) gives the armor a corroded appearance. It looks horrible on the helmet, chest, vambraces, pauldrons, and thigh armor. Its still a smooth finish and the clear coat is intact, but the silver paint is looking progressively worse.

It now looks like the same defect that caused me to ask for a replacement chest armor has appeared again on other silver armor parts.

The last pic shows both chest armors side by side. The installed is the replacement. The loose one is the original defective one. They now look the same, all really bad. I don't think this should be happening. I'm wondering how wide spread this issue is, and it might not be just my copy that is having this issue?

Unfortunately, after 30 days, Sideshow states they're will not offer customer service. And that window has passed for me. Even though they previously acknowledged this issue and sent a replacement chest armor, they will do no more to help.

I know many who own this figure would like to upgrade the paint to a chrome finish. While some are happy with the stock silver paint as is. I wasn't planning on doing the chrome paint upgrade.

Please keep watch on your Mando figure, if it's within the 30 day time period, don't hesitate to ask SS for a customer service request. After that I would still let them know about the issue, in case it turn out to be a more widespread issue.

If there's any further info or developments I can provide, I'll be sure sure to update everyone.

The pics speak for themselves. All pics of the silver paint defects on the Deluxe Hot Toys 1/4 scale Mandalorian figure....
. View attachment 621283
View attachment 621284
View attachment 621298
View attachment 621288
View attachment 621287
View attachment 621289
View attachment 621290
View attachment 621291

View attachment 621293
View attachment 621294
View attachment 621295
View attachment 621296
View attachment 621297
View attachment 621303

Yikes ! That's really unfortunate, even happening to the replacement armor :( Definitely a big bummer. Hmm, well perhaps like you and @MyenShi mention it could be a paint issue with a specific batch, but it does seem bizarre. To bring some minuscule levity, from your pics it kinda looks like his armor's covered in snow/frost, like in S2E2.

Yikes ! That's really unfortunate, even happening to the replacement armor :( Definitely a big bummer. Hmm, well perhaps like you and @MyenShi mention it could be a paint issue with a specific batch, but it does seem bizarre. To bring some minuscule levity, from your pics it kinda looks like his armor's covered in snow/frost, like in S2E2.
Thank you. I appreciate that you have a fertile mind Zurdo! I think you're onto something here....

Does anyone know where I can find an empty 1/4 scale snow globe? ☃️🫙

1675408248967.jpeg

1675408586325.jpeg

So this is on sale for SS’s daily deal and I am seriously considering it. First quarter scale, not sure where to put him yet, but I’d like to grab it cheap while I can and worry about the logistics later. Basically my approach to this hobby as a whole, ha.

I think it makes the most sense with this release to offer armor repaints. Send the pieces to me and I’ll repaint them. Printing, casting, and finishing completely new parts could cost as much as the figure. If I get the paint process down pat then it could probably be a simple $100-$200 ish mod. It will also be nice to have a figure finished in the actual prop paint because it adds an extra touch of screen lineage to the whole piece.
I know it’s been more than a year, OT, but are you still offering? lol

So this is on sale for SS’s daily deal and I am seriously considering it. First quarter scale, not sure where to put him yet, but I’d like to grab it cheap while I can and worry about the logistics later. Basically my approach to this hobby as a whole, ha.

I know it’s been more than a year, OT, but are you still offering? lol
No I never even finished my own, it’s a project for a rainy day.

^^Nice; I like the smooshed hair from wearing the helmet.

I still kinda wish HT included an un-helmeted head sculpt with this 1/4 Mando.

I got this delivered last week for a steal during popcultcha’s 20% off sale. First impressions are positive. Armor might be a little flat but I prefer the brighter blue on the hip and knee armor, and the waist is appropriately dusty with being “crusty” like the 1/6 chrome Mando.

1DDDB09D-EC74-4A70-8BB5-764DEA612528.jpeg

I have not much of a chance to pose it yet, but I did try to get him in a bent knee crouching position to mixed results. I’ll need to work harder to replicate this pose in this picture.
F7D15DED-C5F2-435C-AB47-DFC08B337B7F.jpeg

I’ll be taking it apart and seeing what to do about the fatsuit, and obviously futzing and adjusting the armor will be required as well. I at least want to try and get him sitting down on the deluxe base, but I’m a bit worried I’ll rip the inseam on the pants.

We shall see.

With some good discounts to be had for this guy (particularly with Popcultcha), I'm interested to understand why this set doesn't seem to be particularly popular. Is it Price? Scale/size? Lack of chrome paint? Mando-fatigue? What's stopping people from picking it up?

With some good discounts to be had for this guy (particularly with Popcultcha), I'm interested to understand why this set doesn't seem to be particularly popular. Is it Price? Scale/size? Lack of chrome paint? Mando-fatigue? What's stopping people from picking it up?

1/4 scale figures are a niche within a niche. Some other 1/4 figures have stuck around for a while so it's not just Mando, though as with other figures of the same period, they produced way more than they should've.

I also feel the scale clashes with some of the main reasons why many choose to collect action figures. Like being able to display your favorite characters within a reasonable amount of space, put together displays or scenes with companion pieces, and build up a decently sized collection over time.

1/4 is impractical for all of those. 1/4 figures also have to compete with both 1/6 figures and 1/4 statues. There are pros and cons between statues and figures, but I personally would rather have a statue at that scale.

Thank you for your (as always) considered response :) You raise some interesting points. I have a large 1/6 scale collection, and it is my preferred scale for the reasons you've mentioned. I guess, for me, 1/4 scale is a bit of a novelty, and a nice way to highlight certain characters - which is why I'd only buy characters that can stand alone in 1/4 scale (such as Mando/Grogu), rather than needing companion characters to complete a scene. Thanks again for your perspective.

Thank you for your (as always) considered response :) You raise some interesting points. I have a large 1/6 scale collection, and it is my preferred scale for the reasons you've mentioned. I guess, for me, 1/4 scale is a bit of a novelty, and a nice way to highlight certain characters - which is why I'd only buy characters that can stand alone in 1/4 scale (such as Mando/Grogu), rather than needing companion characters to complete a scene. Thanks again for your perspective.

I agree, that's what 1/4 is perfect for - to highlight certain characters that are important to you. So as a trooper focused collector, I'd still pick up the MIA 1/4 Hot Toys Stormtrooper.

But despite being able to pose a 1/4 figure, I still personally feel statues are better suited to the scale and have a greater impact.

It's tough. Hot Toys is known for 1/6 figures so most just don't really see the 1/4, and in turn Hot Toys doesn't make enough of those figures to get more people interested in the line.

Back