Action Figure Hot Toys - Quarter Scale 1/4 The Mandalorian and The Child (Deluxe)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I did the mod today and it looks sooooo much better.

20F464A0-28BD-4BF4-B3F7-D08CA5D059A1.jpeg

I didn’t cut out all of the padding. The areas I removed them from are his shoulders to the biceps, (I kept the foam for the forearms), TWO layers from the chest, traps and upper back and also his armpits. So imagine a vest.

If anyone’s wondering how it’s possible to remove “layers”...Should you attempt his mod, you’ll know what I mean.

Highly recommended mod.

Look ma! His arms are close to his body!

So I started playing around with different finishes today. This is the first I came up with. I’m not sure about using Alumaluster. I am worried that I’ll need to use harsh solvent based primers and sealers that, if I mess up, would be pretty irreversible.

If I can get the finish right with acrylics it will be cheaper, faster, easier cleanup, and if something goes wrong I can strip the paint with no risk to the shape of the part below.

This is gloss black with an acrylic aluminum color then gloss clear. It’s already very close to Alumaluster. I’ve got some parts primed to test some “chrome” acrylics that have a higher luster than this “aluminum” and I think that could be a winning combination. Ignore the apparent thickness of the paint thats because I’m testing luster and not worrying about how the colors lay yet.

Attachments

• F5BE1057-CE5A-4D3A-BD85-513DE3A1910C.jpeg
    F5BE1057-CE5A-4D3A-BD85-513DE3A1910C.jpeg
    102.6 KB · Views: 146
  • 67736175-20B1-4E2D-9956-BE8B6C93AA96.jpeg
    67736175-20B1-4E2D-9956-BE8B6C93AA96.jpeg
    172 KB · Views: 148
  • 9B4AED03-80D0-46FC-8A77-445AEAE2127B.jpeg
    9B4AED03-80D0-46FC-8A77-445AEAE2127B.jpeg
    148.5 KB · Views: 137
Ahhhh ****, tried a brighter metallic and think I’ve got the finish I will use. Ignore the boogeriness this is a print thats been sitting in my shop for months I used as fodder. Actual paint jobs will be clean.

Attachments

• 3A436AC8-A0C3-4576-BF8B-7FFBB92B8FC5.jpeg
    3A436AC8-A0C3-4576-BF8B-7FFBB92B8FC5.jpeg
    157.3 KB · Views: 129
Ahhhh ****, tried a brighter metallic and think I’ve got the finish I will use. Ignore the boogeriness this is a print thats been sitting in my shop for months I used as fodder. Actual paint jobs will be clean.

Brilliant stuff OT. Looking forward to seeing how good this figure can look, after your repaint.

Following your progress with interest. Still waiting on my figure from KG Hobby but already dreaming how good it could look with a chrome finish.

Very excited to see the finished product. Hopefully now that this is released there will
be some 3rd party armor kits to buy. I’d be too worried about messing up the pieces it actually comes with by trying new paint vs getting some 3D printed 3rd party ones.

My last payment was supposed to process tomorrow. No updates from Sideshow so I hope that this will process and ship this week. I love the pictures with the modification of the fat suit, it looks dramatically better.

got this in yesterday. to mirror a couple ppl. in my opinion he is a bit to bulky to the point where he looks as if his neck is too short. he also looks to be a little to wide for my liking. Ill be performing a version of the fat suit removal mod very soon. may just do the shoulders and or chest removal.

7406B300-0094-4F10-BEC7-4341A4697900.jpeg
DCD816C7-C36A-467B-BCC7-155DD70A245E.jpeg
5CD3577E-0BA2-4653-BFCD-52FD44FC2BD9.jpeg
26569DCD-8727-4BFF-B9B1-11576E90C7BE.jpeg

No removal of fat suit just a lot of futzing around. One thing I will say was to me the neck either was too short or the fat suit on the shoulders was too bulky. My remedy for this was to take the head off and barely attach it, just enough so it stuck to the peg but not enough to lock it in. This to me has allowed it to look much more realistic.

View attachment 559637
No removal of fat suit just a lot of futzing around. One thing I will say was to me the neck either was too short or the fat suit on the shoulders was too bulky. My remedy for this was to take the head off and barely attach it, just enough so it stuck to the peg but not enough to lock it in. This to me has allowed it to look much more realistic.

Looks great! Do his feet have magnets? Or is he just loose on that base?

Looks great! Do his feet have magnets? Or is he just loose on that base?
he is just loose on the base, he has sturdy ankle pegs. . I am not a fan of the crotch grabbers and such. it takes away from the reality of it in my opinion. eventually i will do without the base as i do not like it.

Back