Hot Toys Quality

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GaryPool

Super Freak
Reaction score
It's really just occurred to me recently, especially with the new batch of Mando figures announced, but does anyone else feel like the quality of Hot Toys is going under? I don't even necessarily mean head sculpt or paint app wise.

Maybe I'm wrong but it just feels like most of what they produce now for the most part is plastic. It just appears even more prominently with Star Wars lines maybe because they lend themselves most to it. But one of the biggest draws to me for Hot Toys was its mixed media, and genuine feeling of a small scaled version of the film counterpart.

Now it just seems like every release, as much as they can, use as much plastic as possible. It's starting to make these still expensive pieces just higher quality version of plastic figures.

The days of Die Cast adamantium claws, swords, Mjolnirs etc. seem to be over. Now we get releases like Baby Yoda where every single piece is a single mould piece of painted plastic, and for me it feels like it's making its way onto the main parts of the toys.

I'm moving onto more custom pieces and high end statues because they seem to be filling that better for me, using actual materials. I'd rather pay a lot more and get proper mixed media models than almost 250 quid on majority plastic.

Anyone else feeling this?

Yes and no. There have been some dips in quality and I agree with your assessment that there's less use of mixed media.

But it does feel like they've made some improvements in other areas.

I don't have the figure, but I heard the Solo version of Maul had a textured textile outfit instead of pleather which might make it more durable. And for all the grievances people have with the lack of poseability of superhero figures, whatever material they've been using for those suits seem to have more longevity than rubber suits of the past.

So while using more plastic is certainly part cost savings, it's also not inherently bad in some respects if it goes hand in hand with increased durability and longevity.

I would personally rather have plastic pouches that won't flake and tear off or a plastic Grogu that won't dry out and disintegrate like rubber.

Using plastic doesn't make the figure any less than what it could be with other materials. What they cost is not just the sum parts of the materials used. It's all the engineering that goes into it, the design, the sculpting, the painting, the licensing, etc. If it looks good on a shelf, then I don't see an issue.

More concerning for me would be if things like the paint work, design, and the underlying body all took quality hits. But those have remained consistent or improved over the years.

Back