Hot Toys MMS63 1/6 Dallas - Help Identifying body type for repair

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

analogloadlifter

Just this guy, you know?
Reaction score
Hello,

I have a Hot Toys Dallas with a broken ankle. Does anyone know which body type I would use to repair it? The descriptions say it has 20 points of articulation. I'm hoping that narrows it down. I've done searches specifically for Dallas parts, but haven't had any luck.

Thanks!

In those days, almost all Hot Toys figures used the standard Truetype body at the time. I think this is the one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/354718208059
The fact that they said there are 20 points of articulation suggests they may have used something else, but I'm not sure why they would have. . .I've got that figure but wouldn't want to attempt to remove the rubber suit to see what is really going on underneath.

There are cheap/generic Truetype bodies available. The ankles should work pretty similarly across most of those bodies.

Last edited:
Cool. I'll check that out. If I ever wanted to sell my repaired Dallas, I assume the buyer would want authentic parts, though. At least now got options to consider. Thanks.
Given that plastic does degrade over time (which is why the ankle probably broke), even if you did spend the extra cash on a real HT TrueType from that time, there’s no telling how much longer it would last, or what other joints besides the ankle may break. Fresh, new body with fresh plastic and nice, stiff joints. Your call of course, but I’d see it as doing a potential buyer a favor with saving them from having to go through what you are now.

For example, I bought a brand new HT Edward Scissorhands (which was already an older figure at my time of purchasing). When I opened it, the knee joints literally crumbled during my inspection of the figure just from being an older figure with old plastic. So I had to replace the legs with those from a newer body. If I had just sourced the same body, who’s to say how long it would have lasted even if it looked fine and/or was described as new?

Again, completely your choice. Just giving you something to consider.

Given that plastic does degrade over time (which is why the ankle probably broke), even if you did spend the extra cash on a real HT TrueType from that time, there’s no telling how much longer it would last, or what other joints besides the ankle may break. Fresh, new body with fresh plastic and nice, stiff joints. Your call of course, but I’d see it as doing a potential buyer a favor with saving them from having to go through what you are now.

For example, I bought a brand new HT Edward Scissorhands (which was already an older figure at my time of purchasing). When I opened it, the knee joints literally crumbled during my inspection of the figure just from being an older figure with old plastic. So I had to replace the legs with those from a newer body. If I had just sourced the same body, who’s to say how long it would have lasted even if it looked fine and/or was described as new?

Good point. Thanks for the advice!

A genuine Dallas body would be very hard to find and would almost certainly have issues with the knees. The early HT bodies were really bad for this.

Talking of which I was cleaning my Dallas the other day, he’s the only Hot Toys figure I’ve displayed since I bought him in 2008.

And I noticed a small piece of pink plastic on my bed and sadly he has succumbed to the Dreaded “Hot Toys Knee”!

Attachments

• IMG_0290.jpeg
    IMG_0290.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Cool. I'll check that out. If I ever wanted to sell my repaired Dallas, I assume the buyer would want authentic parts, though. At least now got options to consider. Thanks.
This is not exactly how it works. Engineering and sculpt-wise this figure is obsolete. If there will be a re-issue it's value will drop irregardless of how authentic it is. The only reason why this figure is sought after is because probably no one will re-issue.

In my view the buyer would be more interested in a a) figure that won't degrade in a years time = any decent/sturdy body b) original box so you can you store it and sell it without shipping issues

Last edited:

this is where crotch type stand helps reduce the load of the body on the joints. also plastic if done properly can last decades avoiding harsh environment like heat and UV. you see more modern toys have their joints break easily than vintage stuffs because vintage stuffs are designed to be played.

when everyone is sourcing from the same factories, this becomes a plastic pandemic.

This is not exactly how it works. Engineering and sculpt-wise this figure is obsolete. If there will be a re-issue it's value will drop irregardless of how authentic it is. The only reason why this figure is sought after is because probably no one will re-issue.

In my view the buyer would be more interested in a a) figure that won't degrade in a years time = any decent/sturdy body b) original box so you can you store it and sell it without shipping issues
sell it as custom figure. improvement is always welcomed even if it doesnt come with original parts, or just bundle the original parts in.

stuffs like pleather will break sooner or later, swapping it with a real leather would be a plus. you can even sell it for higher price.

custom figures always always sell for more due to the work and money put in if done correctly.

Back