1/6 Hot Toys - MMS331D13 - Iron Man 2 - War Machine Collectible Figure (Reissue)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow none of you understood my point at all. Maybe it's the way I explained myself?
Not about exclusivity, or maintaining a resale price). People have always been able to buy whatever figure they want - cost/value is personal. It's about enjoyment of the collection community.
No different than any other product. If everyone was driving the same car, it lessens the enjoyment of car enthusiasts. If someone goes shopping, and every store has the same inventory, there would be no enjoyment. If every museum or gallery had the same collection, again it would negatively impact the enjoyment of whatever form of art they showcase.
One of the things I've always enjoyed about this hobby, is seeing what other people have, and talking about them, learning about them, etc.. The more everyone's collection looks the same, the less interesting it is.
As an example, there are dozens of people doing 1/6 figure reviews now, and the majority do reviews of the same figures when they come out. Does anyone really watch ALL of those reviews? I'm guessing no, because it gets boring.
Again, maybe I'm not explaining the concept in a way that is understandable....
Yes, but in this case the exclusivity is relative. We're not driving around in our 1/6 scale batmobiles or touring each others' homes, so those analogies don't quite track. In my neighborhood & within my extended family & friends my collection is definitely one of a kind. If many of the figures I have also exist within the collections of a few hundred people on this site it doesn't change that, especially in a world of what, 7.8 billion people?

Wow none of you understood my point at all. Maybe it's the way I explained myself?
Not about exclusivity, or maintaining a resale price). People have always been able to buy whatever figure they want - cost/value is personal. It's about enjoyment of the collection community.
No different than any other product. If everyone was driving the same car, it lessens the enjoyment of car enthusiasts. If someone goes shopping, and every store has the same inventory, there would be no enjoyment. If every museum or gallery had the same collection, again it would negatively impact the enjoyment of whatever form of art they showcase.
One of the things I've always enjoyed about this hobby, is seeing what other people have, and talking about them, learning about them, etc.. The more everyone's collection looks the same, the less interesting it is.
As an example, there are dozens of people doing 1/6 figure reviews now, and the majority do reviews of the same figures when they come out. Does anyone really watch ALL of those reviews? I'm guessing no, because it gets boring.
Again, maybe I'm not explaining the concept in a way that is understandable....
I fully understand your point. And while I'm sympathetic if you feel singled out, you are making a lot of generalized statements that don't necessarily mesh with reality.

I'm not sure why you firmly believe that everyone will end up with the same collection. That is not the case. Reviewers are going to review what's new to stay relevant and make what revenue they can from videos. Doesn't mean everyone buys everything that comes out. That is far from the case.

I already have this figure. But even if I didn't and bought the reissue, does that suddenly make my collection of mostly Star Wars 1:1, 1:6, and 3.75" from Hot Toys, Sideshow, RS Prop Masters, EFX, and Master Replica exactly the same as yours? Or anyone else that posted in this thread?

No.

And on top of that, just because they reissued this figure doesn't mean suddenly everyone and their grandma and their best friend's cousin is going to run out and buy it. There are people who chose not to buy it the first time out. It doesn't mean someone that doesn't collect Marvel is suddenly going to buy it. It doesn't mean someone that couldn't buy it before for whatever reason is suddenly going to be able to get it.

I understand the exclusivity argument. I do. And there are cases where certain products are released that negatively affect how I feel about certain things. But at the end of the day, it doesn't change what I have collected or my enjoyment of them.

Nothing personal against you. Mostly trying to make you feel better about why this shouldn't be such a negative issue.

Since you brought it up, I will add that I've had a few cars that are enthusiast oriented with very limited production (not a fake limited edition as a marketing gimmick). But as a car enthusiast (not a speculator or collector), I find the real joy is from actually driving and spending time with people in the car.

Yes, you are right that it wouldn't feel quite as special if everyone could buy one, but I went in knowing full well that it would be that limited, so my expectations were set that way. I've been on a 5 year wait list before.

With something like that, it is understood that not everyone would be able to get one due to price and very limited allocations. In contrast, Hot Toys is not advertising these as super special limited editions. They'll take as many pre-orders as they can get.

The exclusivity comes more from that fact that only a relatively small number of people are willing and able to spend as much on these figures as we do. They have no obligation to make these limited. But as I find myself often repeating to people, they are not going to reissue every single figure they've ever made.

Last edited:
When people say that what other people own doesn't impact their enjoyment of their own collection, personally I think they are lying to themselves. If that was the case, the term "Grail" wouldn't even be used in this hobby. But lately, I've noticed collectors using the term "grail" for ANY figure that they want and don't happen to own at the moment. Like "empowerment" the word has lost all meaning.
Whatever, guess I'm in the minority. And I should mention, as per my original post, I'm not upset about it, or angry, just disappointed.

Last edited:
When people say that what other people own doesn't impact their enjoyment of their own collection, personally I think they are lying to themselves. If that was the case, the term "Grail" wouldn't even be used in this hobby. But lately, I've noticed collectors using the term "grail" for ANY figure that they want and don't happen to own at the moment. Like "empowerment" the word has lost all meaning.
Whatever, guess I'm in the minority.
I don't consider any figure a "grail", and I genuinely don't care if other people have a similar collection to me. I buy what I buy because I enjoy it, nobody else has any influence over my collection.

Pre-ordered this. Missed it the first time, so loving I can get this. With the new Tony Mark V suit up pre-order and me nabbing Whiplash a couple of weeks ago....going to be a fun display.

Re: Hot Toys - Iron Man 2 - War Machine Collectible Figure (Reissue)

As an owner, I have to say that the resale drop won’t be great...

...but you guys are in for one heck of a great figure :)
How does this compare to the Infinity War Mk4 War Machine armor?

Nothing personal against you. Mostly trying to make you feel better about why this shouldn't be such a negative issue.

Since you brought it up, I will add that I've had a few cars that are enthusiast oriented with very limited production (not a fake limited edition as a marketing gimmick). But as a car enthusiast (not a speculator or collector), I find the real joy is from actually driving and spending time with people in the car.
No need to make me feel better, as mentioned, I'm not upset just disappointed.
But you (and others) were right about one main thing, which is I was over-generalizing.
Using the car analogy again, I don't get together with groups where members have the same or similar car to mine. I find that boring. I get together with groups where everyone has something different, and you get to talk about each others cars, looks at each others cars, etc., etc. BUT there are tons of people that love to get together in the groups where everyone has the same thing, as they feel like they are part of the group/community/family.

But I would never try to prevent others from having a chance at procuring them as well.

To actively complain and posture against reissues like EZ (as mentioned above) is to campaign against other collectors. Probably thousands of other fans who none of us will ever meet or ever see their collections.
I'm not trying to prevent anything, and I'm not actively complaining or posturing against anything, or actively campaigning. I just mentioned (for the first time ever) that I was disappointed. I think folks here are much more emotionally invested in this than I am.

I'm not trying to prevent anything, and I'm not actively complaining or posturing against anything, or actively campaigning. I just mentioned (for the first time ever) that I was disappointed. I think folks here are much more emotionally invested in this than I am.

I was talking about EZ Collectibles on youtube, which another poster commented on. You were stating your opinion and that's more than acceptable.

I was talking about EZ Collectibles on youtube, which another poster commented on. You were stating your opinion and that's more than acceptable.
The people that try to make a name for themselves on social media by being figure speculators and profiteers are a really negative presence for the hobby. Using toys that way to gain profit and clout is really unfortunate.

If the reissue was coming out this summer it would have been an instant purchase BUT because it is over a year away I am hesitant to jump on it because I am super curious what new armors will be revealed on Armor Wars.

Your amazing video certainly doesn’t make it any easier of a dilemma lol

Now this dilemma only exists in a world where disposable income is limited if that was not a thing I would buy the original to have now and the reissue.

Last edited:
If the reissue was coming out this summer it would have been an instant purchase BUT because it is over a year away I am hesitant to jump on it because I am super curious what new armors will be revealed on Armor Wars.

You’re amazing video certainly doesn’t make it any easier of a dilemma lol

Now this dilemma only exists in a world where disposable income is limited if that was not a thing I would buy the original to have now and the reissue.
Whatever we see in Armor Wars will be even further off in releases, but there's plenty of time to jump on this guy

Your amazing video certainly doesn’t make it any easier of a dilemma lol

Patience has been the key for me if you are not sold on a version. I won by waiting for IM MK 85, Gladiator Hulk, Road Worn Thor, my favorite versions of those characters.

Back