1/6 Hot Toys - MMS331D13 - Iron Man 2 - War Machine Collectible Figure (Reissue)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I took mine out of storage to admire this weekend...I haven't seen it in-person in quite awhile...oh man, you guys are in for a treat!

Yeah, this is an amazing looking figure, I am incredibly tempted!

But if I get this I will without a doubt be breaking my one figure per character rule. This rule has recently been stretched a bit because I have the MK 4 and have the Endgame Iron Patriot on PO. But if I get this MK1 my rule will be destroyed and all Hell will break lose :)

Personally, I think all of these re-releases is hugely disappointing.
Don't get me wrong, there are some figures that I had to pay high after-market prices for (not this one in particular), or some figures I simply couldn't justify the cost to buy, but I figure all of that is part of these being "collectible".
To me, it's a shame when every collection is basically going to look the same because everyone can have everything.

Don't get me wrong, there are some figures that I had to pay high after-market prices for (not this one in particular), or some figures I simply couldn't justify the cost to buy, but I figure all of that is part of these being "collectible".
To me, it's a shame when every collection is basically going to look the same because everyone can have everything.
Why shouldn't everyone be able to have everything exactly? Hot Toys are action figures, expensive ones, but still action figures. Even Hasbro reissue figures.

If you want exclusive rare pieces then go with statues, they usually have a number.

It was between this and Kuiil with a Blurgg and preordering a Black 13 Park figure that cost way more than both of them and I chose the Black 13 Park tiger figure. Hopefully I will have funds for the Endgame Iron Patriot at some point

Why shouldn't everyone be able to have everything exactly? Hot Toys are action figures, expensive ones, but still action figures. Even Hasbro reissue figures.

If you want exclusive rare pieces then go with statues, they usually have a number.
I know right I mean how selfish can a person be sheesh you should go watch that EZ guy rant video on youtube what a whiny selfish twit.

HT was never about being in an exclusive club they were always about selling as much product as humanly possible!

BooHoo others are going to have the Mark 1 I wanted to be the only person out of 8 billion people to own it

Cry me a river I mean seriously get over yourselves guess what i’m buying 2 just to piss them off now lol

I know right I mean how selfish can a person be sheesh you should go watch that EZ guy rant video on youtube what a whiny selfish twit.

HT was never about being in an exclusive club they were always about selling as much product as humanly possible!

BooHoo others are going to have the Mark 1 I wanted to be the only person out of 8 billion people to own it

Cry me a river I mean seriously get over yourselves guess what i’m buying 2 just to piss them off now lol
But mommy I don’t want to share my toys!!! 😖

1. Not every single figure ever made is going to be reissued.

2. Hot Toys has never been limited edition (ie. numbered limited editions with hard caps to edition size). Limited runs and availability, sure, but the exclusivity mostly comes from the figures being priced beyond casual collecting.

3. Not everyone collects the same thing, nor does everyone have the space and/or budget for every figure out there. Everyone is different. There is no way every collection will look the same.

Up until around the end of 2013, Hot Toys marketed all of their figures as "Limited Edition" figures. Since then, they have called them "Collectible" figures. They also never adjusted their pricing to reflect that. So what they've done is marketed and sold figures as limited edition and then years later release another version of said figure (in some cases, a straight up rerelease). I couldn't imagine another high end collectible company doing that.

Up until around the end of 2013, Hot Toys marketed all of their figures as "Limited Edition" figures. Since then, they have called them "Collectible" figures. They also never adjusted their pricing to reflect that. So what they've done is marketed and sold figures as limited edition and then years later release another version of said figure (in some cases, a straight up rerelease). I couldn't imagine another high end collectible company doing that.
Why would they adjust the pricing lol?

Out of every figure Hot Toys has ever released, they have straight reissued such a tiny amount of figures that I don't see it as a problem beyond folks upset about their figures losing value on the secondary market or losing some perceived exclusivity.

It's not like every person who didn't have it before is going to automatically get one now.

Making and releasing an improved version of an older figure like the diecast Iron Man figures is a separate topic and should not be problematic at all.

1. Not every single figure ever made is going to be reissued.

2. Hot Toys has never been limited edition (ie. numbered limited editions with hard caps to edition size). Limited runs and availability, sure, but the exclusivity mostly comes from the figures being priced beyond casual collecting.

3. Not everyone collects the same thing, nor does everyone have the space and/or budget for every figure out there. Everyone is different. There is no way every collection will look the same.
Plus not that many of us feel compelled to share pics of our complete collections, so how would we know if we all have the same figures? Sure we discuss pre-ordering/purchasing figures, but not everyone hangs on to the same ones. Some are OCD and keep everything, while others are constrained by space and/or regularly swap figures out for the latest versions.

Plus not that many of us feel compelled to share pics of our complete collections, so how would we know if we have all the same figures? Sure we discuss pre-ordering/purchasing figures, but not everyone hangs on to the same ones. Some are OCD and keep everything, while others are constrained by space and/or regularly swap figures out for the latest versions.
Yep, very true and good points. It was a bit of an odd blanket statement to make.

I only collect Star Wars with a handful of War Machine figures, so how would that be the same as someone that collects only Marvel or only DC or only bought the 2 Sucker Punch figures Hot Toys made or has 10 Jack Sparrow figures?

Why would they adjust the pricing lol?
Limited edition products are generally priced higher than unlimited. Companies will market products as limited and then charge a premium. And Hit Toys initially marketed their figures as limited edition.

The more figures you make the lower the cost for each subsequent figure produced (we of course have no idea how limited "limited" actually was but I think it's clear that their production runs are much higher now as you never gave to worry about things selling out at the preorder stage). The main investment is the upfront tooling costs. When reissuing a figure, there's not much more of an investment so it makes financial sense for Hot Toys. Also great for those that missed out earlier.

Hot Toys easily sells more 1/6 figures than any other company they're also usually the highest priced with some exceptions. You have companies like threezero making figures just as detailed for sometimes 25-30% less operating on lower volume. But people are now accustomed to paying the high prices and there's no reason for Hot Toys to adjust the model (especially with sideshow taking such a big cut).

Last edited:
Wow none of you understood my point at all. Maybe it's the way I explained myself?
Not about exclusivity, or maintaining a resale price). People have always been able to buy whatever figure they want - cost/value is personal. It's about enjoyment of the collection community.
No different than any other product. If everyone was driving the same car, it lessens the enjoyment of car enthusiasts. If someone goes shopping, and every store has the same inventory, there would be no enjoyment. If every museum or gallery had the same collection, again it would negatively impact the enjoyment of whatever form of art they showcase.
One of the things I've always enjoyed about this hobby, is seeing what other people have, and talking about them, learning about them, etc.. The more everyone's collection looks the same, the less interesting it is.
As an example, there are dozens of people doing 1/6 figure reviews now, and the majority do reviews of the same figures when they come out. Does anyone really watch ALL of those reviews? I'm guessing no, because it gets boring.
Again, maybe I'm not explaining the concept in a way that is understandable....

Wow none of you understood my point at all. Maybe it's the way I explained myself?
Not about exclusivity, or maintaining a resale price). People have always been able to buy whatever figure they want - cost/value is personal. It's about enjoyment of the collection community.
No different than any other product. If everyone was driving the same car, it lessens the enjoyment of car enthusiasts. If someone goes shopping, and every store has the same inventory, there would be no enjoyment. If every museum or gallery had the same collection, again it would negatively impact the enjoyment of whatever form of art they showcase.
One of the things I've always enjoyed about this hobby, is seeing what other people have, and talking about them, learning about them, etc.. The more everyone's collection looks the same, the less interesting it is.
As an example, there are dozens of people doing 1/6 figure reviews now, and the majority do reviews of the same figures when they come out. Does anyone really watch ALL of those reviews? I'm guessing no, because it gets boring.
Your argument doesn’t make a lick of sense lol

If everyone was driving the same car, it lessens the enjoyment of car enthusiasts. If someone goes shopping, and every store has the same inventory, there would be no enjoyment. If every museum or gallery had the same collection, again it would negatively impact the enjoyment of whatever form of art they showcase.

I don't think it's an issue of how you're explaining it. I think most would just disagree. What somebody else owns should have no impact on someone's enjoyment of their own purchases. If someone derives enjoyment from owning exclusive pieces or seeing exclusive pieces then the high-end statue market is where they should be looking. Not Hot Toys. Hot Toys is more like the mid-level luxury car that many people can buy - you shouldn't expect exclusivity there. If you want a high-end luxury car - that would be like JND Studios, XM Studios, etc. for statues. Or go with lesser known brands that don't produce as many figures and focus more on unique IPs- like Blitzway.

Last edited:

Hot Toys is making a figure that was hard to get (from a cost/value perspective) available again. The only people this affects negatively are those that would sell the original release at pre-reissue pricing. (Which in itself is harmful to their potential buyers.)

Your homogeneity argument is over generalizing the issue. I'm not going to buy the War Machine reissue. And there are plenty of others who won't either, for some of the same reasons they didn't during the initial release. Therefore our collections will never be the same. Ever. You don't have to worry.

With that said, I'd like to generalize the overall issue as well: there is absolutely no reason to oppose reissues that isn't rooted in greed.

I get satisfaction from having rare collectibles, it's human nature. But I would never try to prevent others from having a chance at procuring them as well.

To actively complain and posture against reissues like EZ (as mentioned above) is to campaign against other collectors. Probably thousands of other fans who none of us will ever meet or ever see their collections.

TL;DR;: Be cool. Embrace reissues, if not for yourself, then for others.

(And most importantly, reissue K-2SO.)

I'm not concerned about reissues, but it would be nice if they actually released new figures on schedule before producing figures they have released in the past.
This is the one reason I would actually oppose reissues. Lead times are now extending to 2+ years for many figures. Which is completely unacceptable and it doesn't look to be something that Hot Toys considers to be an issue at all. Other companies that have scaled up have actually decreased lead times, while Hot Toys has been doing the opposite.

Back