1/6 Hot Toys MMS Jawas & Power droid

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So this set is usually over ?300 in Europe. Now it?s on sale for ?259... should I buy it? Even if I prefer the SSC Jawas I?m still tempted- since it?s a jawa and gonk... is the Gonk ok?

I plan on getting it eventually. I have RustyJ’s incredible Gonk kit from here but I love Gonk droids enough to want the Hot Toys version as well.

I imagine you could build a better one, seeing your customs. It has been described as a bit of a plastic accessory more than a figure. But it seems good for what it is with that in mind.

The Jawa seems okay in reviews but is in an odd area of not being particularly accurate to any iteration of Jawa.

So this set is usually over ?300 in Europe. Now it?s on sale for ?259... should I buy it? Even if I prefer the SSC Jawas I?m still tempted- since it?s a jawa and gonk... is the Gonk ok?

The HT gonk is pretty inaccurate (it's also a little small imo.) Rustyj's is much closer to accurate, though the HT has the benefit of decent articulation (though not sure articulation is all that needed for a gonk.)

I have really grown to dislike my HT Jawa, mostly because it was a lot of work to get it to look good and still doesn't look great. That being said, I do kind of like the color as a Kenner PC Jawa homage. Everyone seemed to hate the "poop muffin" stands but I kinda grew to like them too.

I plan on getting it eventually. I have RustyJ?s incredible Gonk kit from here but I love Gonk droids enough to want the Hot Toys version as well.

I imagine you could build a better one, seeing your customs. It has been described as a bit of a plastic accessory more than a figure. But it seems good for what it is with that in mind.

The Jawa seems okay in reviews but is in an odd area of not being particularly accurate to any iteration of Jawa.

Thanks. I?m with you on the Gonk droids and that?s sort of the main attraction for me. Even though I did do a custom myself. But it?s pretty different from this one and maybe I should have this one as well [emoji51]
8cf4ea3fc5a9233a9141cac67e6d218e.jpg

The HT gonk is pretty inaccurate (it's also a little small imo.) Rustyj's is much closer to accurate, though the HT has the benefit of decent articulation (though not sure articulation is all that needed for a gonk.)

I have really grown to dislike my HT Jawa, mostly because it was a lot of work to get it to look good and still doesn't look great. That being said, I do kind of like the color as a Kenner PC Jawa homage. Everyone seemed to hate the "poop muffin" stands but I kinda grew to like them too.

Yep. I?m sure you?re right. ...it?s just really hard to skip a HT alien and droid. We don?t get enough of those. ...and now that it?s on sale [emoji51]

I think they would fit in with your collection and you have realistic expectations that they’re not perfect, but not bad.

Ultimately up to you if you want them or not, but like you said, official aliens and droids don’t come around that often in this scale anymore.

Worst case scenario, wouldn’t be much effort for you to customize them to your liking if you’re ultimately unsatisfied with them.

Yep. I?m sure you?re right. ...it?s just really hard to skip a HT alien and droid. We don?t get enough of those. ...and now that it?s on sale [emoji51]

I'm not particularly happy with the set, but I'm still looking for a deal on a second set so I can have a pair of the HT Jawas... :slap

The Friday 10% off coupon worked on it.

I thought about it but I'm still hoping for better. After tax and shipping it was still north of $270 I think. Maybe it will never get better than that, idk. I would probably have bit at 10% off and free shipping.

I was really looking forward to the HT Gonk but the price and the Jawa turned me off almost immediately.

I ended up getting RustyJ’s Gonk kit and another set of the SS Jawas and called it a day.

I was really looking forward to the HT Gonk but the price and the Jawa turned me off almost immediately.

I ended up getting RustyJ?s Gonk kit and another set of the SS Jawas and called it a day.

I really need to get moving on finishing my Rustj gonk builds (1 sandcrawler, 1 Hoth) - got 3/4 done then some other cool stuff arrived and distracted me.

Hot Toys MMS Jawas & Power droid

Very underwhelming set as expected... I would most likely be happier if I didn?t own the imo superior SSC Jawas. Maybe I?ll get to like this over time.
My issues:
The Jawa head is awful and cartoony. I undid the Velcro to get the hood forward. Helps some. I didn?t even bother with the lights, so I just did the rhinestone mod right away.
The color of the rope doesn?t bother me as much as expected.
The SSC bandoliers are way superior, but these are ok.
The Gonk is underwhelming. I don?t mind the weight, but the weathering is really boring.
The stands... is a crime. But they look ok?inh.
The biggest crime is the price. Even with a ?40 discount it?s way too expensive.
a26bb11905c68c52221703220486e837.jpg

I can?t help feeling that he seems rather cartoonish next to the SSC Jawas... he has a bigger head/hood and hands. ...but maybe the Jawa just needs to grow on me (...that?s what he said)
a571c71ce0ca2b47ca2b22495b285265.plist

Edit... starting to warm a bit up to the guy
80dc88cc4e366f89f7e0d0fc44899cc8.plist

If the Sideshow had a better body, better hands/feet, no hood seam down the center, and the same robe texture as the HT it would be a 9.5/10 figure.

Both figures have a number of issues but the Sideshow indeed had a much more agreeable price tag.

Pretty amazing Tatooine shelf you've got there, slikkerias. For all the Jawa's shortcomings it does fit in well amongst other figures.

It took a lot of work (and addition of Sideshow parts - including a Sideshow Jawa head, it's really only the robe and body that are HT) but I got mine to a level that I could tolerate. I added a 1/2" of height to mine too. He just seemed too short.

In the context of my larger Tatooine cabinet, he's fine enough. The color does bug me, but I have too many other custom projects on the bench to think about dyeing the robe.

I'm actually considering actually using the "Poop muffin" stands - though with a sand color (and texture) addition. I'll use those once I've finished building my Rustyj gonk droid (I did substantial rebuilds to the kit so has taken a really long time.)

uQ0TNWi.jpg

Given how big the HT hood is, a little extra height seems like a good idea. Where did you add it?

Kind of an oval-shaped collar that attached on top of the shoulders (almost like shoulders on top of the existing shoulders.) You don't really notice it even when you move the arms around because there's so much room in the cloak. The neck joint holds it in place, but keep in mind the SSC head has quite a different joint to the HT head and that difference helps keep the shoulder plate in place (so possibly would not work using the HT head.)

Back