Hot Toys MMS Iron Man Mk1 DIECAST

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now quit yer bichin’! 🤣

Looks decent when you distort the image.

I do think they should have re-sized it like the rest of the diecast lineup, but it still looks decent. The paint apps are weaker than the non-diecast version for sure.

1675537489627.png

This figure shoes why I've never been a fan of diecast on iron man figures. Other than the extra weight, there's really no benefit to it.

I do think they should have re-sized it like the rest of the diecast lineup, but it still looks decent. The paint apps are weaker than the non-diecast version for sure.

View attachment 621497

The most grossly out of proportion and tall iron man figure is probably not the best comparison example

View attachment 621497
Had such high hopes they would re-release this. Then I found out about the height.

Ridiculous and total deal breaker for me !

Check out jedha patrols comparison and its more obvious. I'm not sure what is going on in justin's lineup shot but next to the mark 7 or mk 46 reissue the dc mk1 is probably 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch shorter.
exactly. Just like how both of Justin's reviews of the InArt Joker make it look pretty bad with a huge head. Something happens in some of Justin's shots that just distort the figures sometimes.

I always felt the HT Iron Man figures were rather under-scaled, especially the earlier armours, when displayed against other Marvel/Avengers figures. It's fairly clear when you see them lined up that the illusion of a man, even a 5'10"-ish Tony Stark doesn't fit inside the armour. I don't know, maybe I'm wrong and the Iron Man armours are supposed to be like a Tardis
I think Hot Toys does have some scale and proportion issues, but at the same time the film makers were always open about wanting to portray the armour as a "character" in and of itself, i.e. they wanted it to look like a superhero so they played fast and loose with the proportions.

This figure shoes why I've never been a fan of diecast on iron man figures. Other than the extra weight, there's really no benefit to it.
I never felt like die cast was a great benefit to figures. Most are only partial die cast with a large percentage of plastic elements remaining. There is some definite heft and weight to make the die cast figure feel more substantial in hand, but there's also a huge price to be paid for that. is it really worth it? Once displayed they don't look much different from a well made plastic version. I also found most die cast figures to be too heavy for what they are at this scale and often cumbersome and top-heavy. Die cast seems to work well for some figures and less for others.

I remember a discussion here when upcoming diecast figures were first announced (I believe it was the Mk42?). There was a poster here who said we wouldn't want fully diecast figures because the details won't be as good as the plastic one. I recall people ridiculing him about it.

I guess this figure proved him right after all. Although, the lack of detail here might actually be closer to correct that the more detailed plastic one was.

He definitely isn’t wrong on the weathering being better on plastic figures.
The appeal over diecast IMs is the “real” suit is made of metal (err gold titanium alloy as Tony said) so having a metal iron man figure just sounds cooler

Part of collecting action figures involves a tactile experience; in that sense a weighty, metal-dressed armour is cool to manipulate. But just a glance at some of Threezero's robot figures and you see that metal is completely unnecessary for a good rendering.

Mark V is obscenely tall anyways. It's probably the tallest "main" HT Iron Man. Which is weird for a form fitting suitcase suit.

So what are you guys using for the power cord on this piece?

The instructions indicate that the figure requires a 5 Volt 2A power supply with a Type C input into the figure.

But the label on the input on the figure itself says 5V 1A and the input is clearly a type C.

This is pretty poor, Hot Toys. For nearly $500 you should have at least included the cord if not the adapter AND the cord.

IMG_3057.jpeg
IMG_3058.jpeg

Last edited:
Just got the invoice from Alter Ego for this guy, must be getting ready to ship. Issues aside, I'll just be glad to have it in the collection (and one less pre-order on the books)

Back