1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 283 - Star Wars Episode IV: 1/6th scale Obi-Wan Kenobi

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It’s the second worst sculpt in the ANH line imo, but it’s not horrible. It’s a distant second to worst. However, putting the hood on helps. I’ve had the hood up on mine for a long time and last time I checked, there was no staining.

That’s the thing. It took me ages to pick him up after he was released because I was so unimpressed by the likeness. But at the same time, just as a human face sculpt of an older man, it’s really quite awesome. And there’s some Kenobi in there if you work the angles (and the hood) as some have said. So I have zero regrets. He’s become one of my OT faves.

Yeah, exactly that, the sculpt is outstanding. Likeness, not as sharp but if you get past that it's still a really solid sculpt and great figure. HT knows how to do old people.

Luke on the other hand just suffers from the likeness and the sculpt/paint/hair aren't strong enough to undo the weak likeness.

Does anyone have a belt from this release that they'd be willing to part with? I'd pay quite a bit for one, just message me through here or through my linked FB! Thanks!

This thread has been dormant for a year!

Just got the Jnix painted up for this figure. The Hot Toys Ben is brilliantly painted and so lifelike but suffers a bit in likeness for me.

The Jnix isn't perfect either but just wins out a tiny bit in likeness to my eye.

7309BC09-E6F3-48E1-BD09-B27C32F0A051.jpeg
EC0F3C5F-F8F1-41FD-AE49-CAD8BD3ECED9.jpeg
33F985C3-667B-4980-B29D-D3CA30DF263B.jpeg
004F0976-7419-45F9-AAC5-0312CF506633.jpeg
CDF819BB-CABB-40D0-8E48-1D5AE5DC23AD.jpeg
8ADA0220-3893-4A3D-B492-29F96F63B5A2.jpeg
1F7259EE-57E8-4AA4-9D2D-C7FAA2D452B8.jpeg

This thread has been dormant for a year!

Just got the Jnix painted up for this figure. The Hot Toys Ben is brilliantly painted and so lifelike but suffers a bit in likeness for me.

The Jnix isn't perfect either but just wins out a tiny bit in likeness to my eye.

View attachment 541484View attachment 541486View attachment 541487View attachment 541485View attachment 541488View attachment 541489View attachment 541490
Looks awesome. I’m a huge fan of this head and have been trying to track one down…great work!

Nice looking Ben, TonTon!

While not one of Hot Toy's better likenesses, it does the job. I would put him number one for a revisit from Hot Toys. (Before the Ewan versions flood comes...)

The HT sculpt is incredibly lifelike and has great paint apps -- I was on the fence for a long time about switching, as the Jnix isn't perfect either.

I remember the early SS vs HT debates on Obi-Wan when this first released. Feels like a lifetime ago -- pre-sequels, pre-Mando. I believe there's now been more hours of live-action SW since that point than before it.

I have the original Sideshow Trevor G. sculpt re-painted by Dave (Ski-man) it looks killer...way better than HT's wonky generic old man sculpt.
A good handful of old Sideshow sculpts have a really good likeness. However, no matter how good of a painter, the sculpts lack a realism and the finer detail and texture that newer sculpts have and therefore, to me, they still come up short compared to today’s standards

The HT sculpt is incredibly lifelike and has great paint apps -- I was on the fence for a long time about switching, as the Jnix isn't perfect either.

I remember the early SS vs HT debates on Obi-Wan when this first released. Feels like a lifetime ago -- pre-sequels, pre-Mando. I believe there's now been more hours of live-action SW since that point than before it.
I remember those discussions/comparisons as well. While not as well painted or detailed as the HT sculpt, the SS one did capture the Sir Alec G's essence best, in my opinion. I remember seeing some amazing repaints, too. (Don't wish to rehash that discussion, though...) :wink1:

I remember those discussions/comparisons as well. While not as well painted or detailed as the HT sculpt, the SS one did capture the Sir Alec G's essence best, in my opinion. I remember seeing some amazing repaints, too. (Don't wish to rehash that discussion, though...) :wink1:
"You will find that many of the truths in the SS vs HT debate depend greatly on our own point of view" -- Ben Kenobi, Episode IV

Does anyone have both the Hot Toys and the old Sideshow Ben Kenobi and could take a picture of the two lightsabers that came with them? I’d like to compare the sizes of the two sabers.

very nice pic! It's definitely one of the few regrets I have from the last time I sold my collection but times were tough and I thought since it wasn't going for much at the time on the after market, it would be easily available at a decent price later. Boy was I wrong :slap

Back