Hot Toys - Iron Man 2 - MMS600 - 1:6 Tony Stark (Mark V Suit up Version) Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Couldn't imagine having the space for it but a lineup of all the suit up figures would look pretty cool, the Mk4 gantry, the Mk5 suitcase, the Mk6 suit up base, the Mk7 pod, Mk42 workshop...

Sounds like you think those "diecast " figures are not mostly plastic.

What? I hate diecast figures and the imaginary premium people place on them- I know exactly what they are made of, and the fact that it is not at all worth these bat**** prices that I have loooooong since left the arena of paying for this line. Just pointing out that they have so successfully normalized a $100+ markup for the diecast label and now have no issues selling non diecast figures for the same price.

This is at least $50 too expensive given it is all plastic and no diecast content. I understand there may have been engineering hurdles they couldn't solve by going with diecast instead of plastic, but that is Hot Toy's problem to solve.

Well, that was unexpected. Cool concept, but like most, if there was one more suit I'd like as an anniversary/special number release it would be Mk 1

(TBA has the deluxe for 347 shipped, but anyway)

Since everyone uses Sideshow as a base, lets try to break down the pricing structure. The deluxe version of this is $100 more than deluxe Mech Test.

$405 usd
tony-stark-mark-v-suit-up-version-deluxe_marvel_gallery_609caf982dbf5.jpg

$305 usd
tony-stark-mech-test-deluxe-version-special-edition_marvel_gallery_5f19e3e90d4b8.jpg

And the most basic figure they've recently released is Tony Stark in the team suit. Does anyone object to the price on that figure?

$235 usd
tony-stark-team-suit_marvel_gallery_5cd5bcaaa1b6f.jpg

So lets say just Tony in the track suit is $235. I know technically the other figure has 2 head sculpts but remember this new figure has a light up chest and hands so lets assume theres some electronics in the body.

Its says it has articulated chest armor. All these attachments have moving parts, nothing is static. But I think there is actually 2 chest pieces:

This 1st piece:
tony-stark-mark-v-suit-up-version-deluxe_marvel_gallery_609caf8b37ff8.jpg

And this 2nd piece:
tony-stark-mark-v-suit-up-version-deluxe_marvel_gallery_609caf8a3b34f.jpg

If thats all the same part, and it just slides down, I will be stunned. But I think its 2 separate parts.

Chest armor 1: $30

Chest armor 2: $40

Leg armor: $35

Helmet: $10

Suit case: $25

Suit case internals: $30

So thats how they reached $405. Of course not taking into account license fees/paint/labor.

I kinda wish they at least offered Tony by himself for $100 cheaper. I would have honestly been more tempted by that.

I kinda wish they at least offered Tony by himself for $100 cheaper. I would have honestly been more tempted by that.

I feel the same way, I?m getting the mark v reissue cause it?s my grail but the speed suit Tony by himself with this sculpt I?d buy day 1.

Nice comparison, Centrocal. And I agree that the price reflects the intricacy of this set and the sheer number of pieces, moving or otherwise.

Yeah I would have liked a release of just the race suit and suitcase. Not really a fan of the mid transformation suit at this price. Clever and unique but now the Whiplash rerelease makes sense. Too bad they didn’t offer a third version as the race suit has been a long requested look.

The basic figure should have been the race suit with racing helmet, suitcase, and clean head sculpt for $250 or so.

The deluxe figure should have been two full figures like Mando Fett. Race suit, damaged race suit, clean and bloodied head sculpts, the suitcase, and the Mk V pieces for around $450.

(TBA has the deluxe for 347 shipped, but anyway)

Since everyone uses Sideshow as a base, lets try to break down the pricing structure. The deluxe version of this is $100 more than deluxe Mech Test.

$405 usd
tony-stark-mark-v-suit-up-version-deluxe_marvel_gallery_609caf982dbf5.jpg

$305 usd
tony-stark-mech-test-deluxe-version-special-edition_marvel_gallery_5f19e3e90d4b8.jpg

And the most basic figure they've recently released is Tony Stark in the team suit. Does anyone object to the price on that figure?

$235 usd
tony-stark-team-suit_marvel_gallery_5cd5bcaaa1b6f.jpg

So lets say just Tony in the track suit is $235. I know technically the other figure has 2 head sculpts but remember this new figure has a light up chest and hands so lets assume theres some electronics in the body.

Its says it has articulated chest armor. All these attachments have moving parts, nothing is static. But I think there is actually 2 chest pieces:

This 1st piece:
tony-stark-mark-v-suit-up-version-deluxe_marvel_gallery_609caf8b37ff8.jpg

And this 2nd piece:
tony-stark-mark-v-suit-up-version-deluxe_marvel_gallery_609caf8a3b34f.jpg

If thats all the same part, and it just slides down, I will be stunned. But I think its 2 separate parts.

Chest armor 1: $30

Chest armor 2: $40

Leg armor: $35

Helmet: $10

Suit case: $25

Suit case internals: $30

So thats how they reached $405. Of course not taking into account license fees/paint/labor.

The engineering for the clip on parts just isn't impressive enough to warrant a $405 price tag. That's a lot of justification for something that just amounts to pieces that hinge and swivel, which is exactly what they want us to be doing so they can continue raising the price of these things.

A decade ago these things were around $150, and the price creeped up to close to $300 for a basic figure because Hot Toys successfully normalized the price creep. I wouldn't be shocked if these things are going for close to $600 for a basic figure by the end of the decade.

Nice comparison, Centrocal. And I agree that the price reflects the intricacy of this set and the sheer number of pieces, moving or otherwise.

Eh, that hardly qualifies as any type of justification. If you break anything down and try hard enough you can justify the pricing for anything.

At the end of the day it's all just mass produced plastic parts. Worth $400? To me, no. To you, I guess so.

The engineering for the clip on parts just isn't impressive enough to warrant a $405 price tag. That's a lot of justification for something that just amounts to pieces that hinge and swivel, which is exactly what they want us to be doing so they can continue raising the price of these things.

A decade ago these things were around $150, and the price creeped up to close to $300 for a basic figure because Hot Toys successfully normalized the price creep. I wouldn't be shocked if these things are going for close to $600 for a basic figure by the end of the decade.

You're absolutely right...couldn't have said it better myself.

This is all funny to me as they were charging $350 for all plastic iron man figures years ago. We all know none of these are worth what we pay. These are luxuries, not needed at all, so they could charge a $1000 dollars for it if they wanted.

If i'm the only one making something i can charge whatever i want. If you want a suit up iron man 2 figure like this where else can you get one?

These are like $500,000 Ferraris. They are fun very overpriced toys that nobody needs. If you don't like the price there are plenty of Toyota Camrys available.

This is all funny to me as they were charging $350 for all plastic iron man figures years ago. We all know none of these are worth what we pay. These are luxuries, not needed at all, so they could charge a $1000 dollars for it if they wanted.

If i'm the only one making something i can charge whatever i want. If you want a suit up iron man 2 figure like this where else can you get one?

These are like $500,000 Ferraris. They are fun very overpriced toys that nobody needs. If you don't like the price there are plenty of Toyota Camrys available.
They were a lot cheaper than that. The Mark 33 Silver Centurion was about $225 new, and I got the Mark 7 for about the same price new from Action Figure Xpress.

How many attempts have they had at sculpting RDJ now...must be double-figures, surely? And yet they still struggle to pin down the likeness. Amazing.
I agree. Although they have gotten very close to his likeness, Hot Toys has gotten other head sculpts perfect in one or 2 attempts. Likenesses of Yondu and the recent Gamora are perfect. I am not one to get into 3rd party products, but I recently received Maxnut Studios Tony Stark head, and let me tell you I am amazed at their products. The likeness is spot on, I mean really spot on. It IS Robert Downey Jr. from every angle and degree of lighting. None of this "it looks like RDJ from certain angles." It's RDJ from every angle, the shape, the proportions. I bought it for the Mark 85. I compared it side by side to the head that came with the figure. I don't know how a 3rd party company can make a sculpt that much better, and on a first attempt! I even bought the T'Challa sculpt, a perfect likeness to Chadwick Boseman. They're so good I kept them in their boxes for now. The boxes are even well done. The T'Challa one has some pics of CB in the box, to honor him. If Maxnut did more characters, one can just have a collection of heads.

They were a lot cheaper than that. The Mark 33 Silver Centurion was about $225 new, and I got the Mark 7 for about the same price new from Action Figure Xpress.

Yes most were in that range but they did sell some priced MUCH higher like this one from 2015.

Screen Shot 2021-05-13 at 8.49.21 PM.jpg

Doesn't exclusive stuff tend to be priced higher though?

Sometimes, there were others in the $300 range back then also. This was just the 1st one i ran across. Not trying to defend the prices just saying these things have never been very cheap and complaining about will not change anything.

Hasbro said they will be raising prices in the fall because of rising raw material costs (plastic) so expect these to get even more expensive.

Back