Hot Toys Echo Base

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As predicted, this is simply a store announcement. And not even a permanent store or a store outside of Hong Kong.

Secret Base confirmed that this is a new pop up store in the Fashion Walk mall at Causeway Bay in Hong Kong, which is the same location as the Hot Toys 20th anniversary store from last year.

They have only announced Cosbabies and Cosriders along with reissues of the Batman Begins suit and the Tumbler.

Announce a store based on a prominent Star Wars location.

Announce no Star Wars figures. Not even a Cosbaby.

Classic Hot Toys. It was always going to be a disappointment.

We cannot know if Howard deliberately picked the name as an homage, or if it was just someone in marketing that thought it sounded cool.

I know he is a fan of Star Wars but to what level, nobody knows. Unlike some of us, not everyone remembers the name of every planet, base, ship, alien, etc.

I think Echo Base is mentioned by name only once in the film when Zev calls in after finding Han and Luke.

Some folks just jumped the gun and unfortunately got their hopes up because the store happened to share the same name with the Hoth Echo Base.

For those people, like you said, it was always going to be a disappointment. Best to only celebrate after something concrete is announced.

:lol

A Star Wars themed name - so Batman was the logical choice to front it. Surprised it wasn't Iron Man or Spiderman though

Such a dumb thing to do from a business and marketing standpoint. Hoth Luke and Han at minimum should have been ready to go if they are going to pull this kind of ****.

There was no indication that this was going to be Star Wars related aside from their pop up store sharing a name with the Rebel base. And even that may have just been an homage at most or even a coincidence.

Even the announcement photo was in the style of the Secret Base logo and colors and has no Star Wars style font or graphics.

A big ESB announcement that some folks wanted would’ve coincided with the ESB 40th. But we got what we got then. There will be more ESB figures but at a slow pace until ESB 45th or 50th.

There was no indication that this was going to be Star Wars related aside from their pop up store sharing a name with the Rebel base. And even that may have just been an homage at most or even a coincidence.

Even the announcement photo was in the style of the Secret Base logo and colors and has no Star Wars style font or graphics.

A big ESB announcement that some folks wanted would?ve coincided with the ESB 40th. But we got what we got then. There will be more ESB figures but at a slow pace until ESB 45th or 50th.

I never expected it to be Star Wars related, but if they insist on naming their stores after locations in Star Wars then at least TEASE something.

Who cares about reissued Batman money grabs and Marvel/DC cosbabies.

I don’t disagree, but they probably weren’t thinking it would bother anyone that matters. These stores are for their domestic market, which is still lukewarm on Star Wars at best.

Who knows, they could surprise us with something new when the store opens.

But as long as people over there are buying up Cosbabies and the other cheap merch they sell, they don’t really have to do anything that exciting for these stores.

Has anyone in this forum bought a cosbaby? I have never seen any in the collection thread. I guess they sell, otherwise they would stop making them.

A coincidence, are you kidding me? Echo Base is a direct reference to a very specific scene and geographic location in Star Wars. HT should know better considering the space in which they do business. It's moronic to name a new store that, advertise it on their main news access point(Facebook), and then proceed to drop old Batman stuff :slap

Never even considered one for a second. No idea who buys them.

Collectors priced out of 1/6 collecting (soon to be me) :huh

On a more serious note, i believe these to be very popular in Japan. Lots of people having notably small homes, they tend to collect smaller scales.

Never even considered one for a second. No idea who buys them.

Same with Funko Pops and all similar products. Not interested in having a figure that sort of resembles the character with minimal detail. I like Hot Toys because it's basically like having the character plucked from the screen and shrunken down.

A coincidence, are you kidding me? Echo Base is a direct reference to a very specific scene and geographic location in Star Wars. HT should know better considering the space in which they do business. It's moronic to name a new store that, advertise it on their main news access point(Facebook), and then proceed to drop old Batman stuff :slap

Yes, it was a strange and dumb move for those people that care about Star Wars like everyone here.

I am simply playing devil’s advocate with potential explanations but my point is that not everyone is passionate enough about the universe to know what Echo Base means, and this announcement, store, and merch there were all meant for those types of more casual fans anyway.

We’re all excited for more Star Wars news (especially ObiGlennKenobi :lol), but Hot Toys has a large fan base and this announcement was simply not meant for people like us.

But I’m sure people that buy Cosbabies are happy there’s another place to get them.

Here’s to more/better news in the near future. :duff

Last edited:
Yes, it was a strange and dumb move for those people that care about Star Wars like everyone here.

I am simply playing devil?s advocate with potential explanations but my point is that not everyone is passionate enough about the universe to know what Echo Base means, and this announcement, store, and merch there were all meant for those types of more casual fans anyway.

We?re all excited for more Star Wars news (especially ObiGlennKenobi :lol), but Hot Toys has a large fan base and this announcement was simply not meant for people like us.

But I?m sure people that buy Cosbabies are happy there?s another place to get them.

Here?s to more/better news in the near future. :duff

Here's to hoping HT really digs into Hoth one day and add to the Leia and Snowtrooper figures. Probably wishful thinking but I don't think any of the below are out of reach. :duff

Stuff HT should definitely make that would sell extremely well:

Hoth Luke
Hoth Han
General Veers
Wampa

Stuff that I would buy that they probably won't make:

Hoth Rebel Trooper generic
Bren Derlin
General Rieekan
Snowy Chewie
Snowtrooper Commander
Taun Taun

Such a dumb thing to do from a business and marketing standpoint. Hoth Luke and Han at minimum should have been ready to go if they are going to pull this kind of ****.

Agreed. Great way to kickstart a new store and some excitement for the fanbase. But Batman reissue!

Has anyone in this forum bought a cosbaby? I have never seen any in the collection thread. I guess they sell, otherwise they would stop making them.

Asians. Asians = Anime = Cosbabies.

Same with Funko Pops and all similar products. Not interested in having a figure that sort of resembles the character with minimal detail. I like Hot Toys because it's basically like having the character plucked from the screen and shrunken down.

I don’t collect Funko but I believe their the perfect product and the essence of collecting for yourself or your children. They are so affordable. If my kid was into them most are under $20 which makes it easier. I just picked up Greta Gremlin and it came to $50. I cringed when I buy Neca stuff knowing how much they used to be compared to know.

you fools the Cos-babies are their biggest money maker! They're keeping the whole business going :panic: :duh

What do you think they built the store out of? :lecture

Back