Hot Toys DX15 Captain Jack Sparrow (Dead Men Tell No Tales)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, after 2 months he's finally here. I got mine from ToysWonderland. Paid 530 euros, then another 170 in taxes, so all in all he cost me close to a grand. Well, he is quite beautiful and I needed a Sparrow so I don't feel bad about the money. It's just a shame I had to put him back in his box. Until I get a display case or something. Still, this is the kind of figure I want to see HT make more of, but alas...

Dang! That is expensive! Then again, he's such an amazing figure and there are so many different ways to display him! I've been slowly buying diorama pieces to add to my Detolf display. Picked up a wooden rum barrel, treasure chest, and a lantern so far.

Dang! That is expensive!
Yeah, that was pretty steep. But it did make me think about the hobby. What I should buy and how to procceed. Years back I just wanted it all. As of recently I had trimmed it to a couple of "must-have" properties. Now I've gone back to the drawing board, so to speak. I crossed off characters from my wishlist, I've scrapped hypothetical displays, I started from the beginning. Sparrow has presence and I'm looking for the same thing in all the figures I'll be buying from now on. And I'll certainly be Pre-Ordering them all; I don't want to pay double prices again. But I'm over my completionist phase. For one, it's not financially viable or easy to juggle, space-wise. And also, it's a slippery slope. First it's "completing a set", then it's "childhood nostalgia", then "teen nostalgia", then "that looks cool" and so on and so forth. It's neverending. I used to be like that with smaller scales, and comics and books too, and I'm not going to make the same mistake again.

The more I cut down the more freeing it is, at least for me. Less hassle to get the cash, no more worrying if they'll ever finish the set, no need to make room, and such. It's why I'm now focusing mostly on one-offs and looking for figures with full headsculpts and clothing. A Vader here and there will be the exception, but after I get my one and only Iron Man, because he was a childhood favourite, I have no desire to get into such "non-human" figs. I'm after the Sparrows of the hobby. I POed a DX Batman for example to pair with him with the unavoidable Joker. But you know what? I'm not a huge Batfan anymore. I'm afraid of the pleather. With taxes, it'll be about 350 euros. Can I really waste that on a figure I'm "eh" about? The answer's no, so I'll be changing to the upcoming Patrick Bateman fig which is supposed to go up on PO next month. Ledger Joker I still want, will PO when the time comes, and I'll put him in a hypothetical Villain self. I've always preferred the antagonists, so I reckon I'll gather enough as time goes on. Or I'll pair him with my Tommy Shelby as two gangsters or something. Point is, I'm not looking to complete sets. It's a trip down a scary rabbit hole.

Then again, he's such an amazing figure and there are so many different ways to display him! I've been slowly buying diorama pieces to add to my Detolf display. Picked up a wooden rum barrel, treasure chest, and a lantern so far.
That sounds great! If we had a new Davy Jones, a Barbossa, a Namor, such characters, you could make a pretty great Water-Themed lineup. Edward Kenway would fit right in there too. I wish I could do that, but as of right now all of my figures are still in their boxes. No space. One day I hope to buy some of those glass cases and build a nice "mini-museum". But I have to make sure that only the worthy few make it in; I don't want to end up with a cluttered look. I am thinking of creating a "Doom Corner" though. We all have one favourite character, and I think it'd be fan. Figures of all scales, statues, whatever. It could be fun.

PXL_20210131_215155297.jpgPXL_20210131_215122710.jpgPXL_20210201_001533163.jpg

Nice pose ShadowGuardian! I might actually try that one myself. Definitely going to reconsider his smerk head sculpt!

Thanks DK! I'm really happy with it. I think the pose works especially well without the coat.

I am surprised with how much I like the smirk sculpt in hand. I'm using it way more than I thought I would.

Yeah I've been torn about the coat myself. I love it on him but I like a lot of poses without the coat and hat. I might have to play around with him some. Yeah the more I look at your poses with his smerk face, the more I want to try it myself.

Very awesome pics guys! Sad that this will probably be the last Jack Sparrow figure we get as I'm pretty sure no studio will approve any Depp merch anytime soon if ever again.

Yeah I've been torn about the coat myself. I love it on him but I like a lot of poses without the coat and hat. I might have to play around with him some. Yeah the more I look at your poses with his smerk face, the more I want to try it myself.

you know, as long as I've had this figure since it shipped from Sideshow, I just put him back in the full gear set up. I had him in the coat and serious face at the beginning right out of the box, then switched to no coat for years and just two weeks ago I went back to the full gear and have tried the smirking face for the first time ever.

Very awesome pics guys! Sad that this will probably be the last Jack Sparrow figure we get as I'm pretty sure no studio will approve any Depp merch anytime soon if ever again.

you know, as long as I've had this figure since it shipped from Sideshow, I just put him back in the full gear set up. I had him in the coat and serious face at the beginning right out of the box, then switched to no coat for years and just two weeks ago I went back to the full gear and have tried the smirking face for the first time ever.

Yes, it's very sad that we will probably never get another Jack Sparrow figure. Makes me even more happy that I finally got ahold of this figure last year, very late of course, before the announcement by Disney that they were letting JD go. It's definitely in my top 5 figures I own!

I'm definitely going to change up his look when I get him back out of his box(currently going through a lengthy bedroom remodel). I really want to come up with a awesome diorama display in my Detolf for him.

I’m a step closer to my ultimate Jack. After a lot of procrastination, I’m nearly complete with DX06 hair overhaul. Removed the OST bone dongle, filled it in, repainted the whole bandana, painted the hair black, now I need to paint the pattern on the bandana, then I can glue on the piece of eight charm and be finished.

B4597217-826C-496A-9C35-955794D50EDE.jpeg

I wonder what the chances are Hot Toys revisits Sparrow the way they are Batman right now.

I wonder what the chances are Hot Toys revisits Sparrow the way they are Batman right now.

I think it's next to zero, considering Disney doesn't want any more Johnny Depp merchandise produced. Maybe way down the line but not anytime soon.

I think it's next to zero, considering Disney doesn't want any more Johnny Depp merchandise produced. Maybe way down the line but not anytime soon.
Inclined to agree. But Beast Kingdom is releasing a new Sparrow figure soon, just wondered if the door might somehow still be open.

Decided to upgrade my DX06.
DX15 sculpt and Enterbay bandana, charms and chalices. I remember getting the dx06 9 years ago and thinking the sculpt was amazing. It still is, but nothing compared to the dx15 sculpt. Very happy with him now[emoji846]
4ac557b51f8a161b19e23b01565c71b7.jpg

Sendt fra min SM-G975F med Tapatalk

Back