Hot Toys DX15 Captain Jack Sparrow (Dead Men Tell No Tales)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The quality looks great, my only feedback would be, if it's meant to be like the Pearl, I would darken the wood a bit, the lightness gives off more of a basketball court vibe than pirate ship, but the scale and detail is great.

Got my DX15 in the mail today. What an amazing figure! I will definitely have to futz with him some more tomorrow when I get a chance. The DX06 hat is definitely a tight fit and difficult to make it stay on. It keeps wanting to pop off his head. Also, is his body usually loose?

Last edited:
Got in some parts for my Ultimate Captain Jack Sparrow figure and to complete a Cannibal Jack figure as well.

I took this shot before I broke down the outfit to swap out parts.

VZwhCaI.jpg

Ultimate Jack Before

8hOPUHZ.jpg

Ultimate Jack After

7Vraduc.jpg

Still waiting on my DX06 faces and hair, but that's going to take awhile and the majority of it is on display here.

Below is a list of parts used.

MMS42
- Fur Pelts

DX06
- Hands
- Boots

DX15
- Hair
- Face
- Body
- Shirt
- Pants
- Jacket
- Sash
- Belts
- Trinkets
- Sword
- Bandolier
- Pistols
- Wrist Wraps

Medicom RAH Jack Sparrow
- Vest
- Tricorn Hat

Cannibal Jack

Flc4VNa.jpg

Below is a list of parts used.

MMS57
- Head
- Cannibal Crow
- Cannibal Necklace
- Cannibal Staff
- Sash

DX06
- Hands
- Wrist Wraps

DX15
- Boots
- Vest
- Fur

Third-Party DX06 Knockoff
- Pants
- Dark Belt

Zizzle
- Shirt
- Light Belt
- Compass

Body is just a generic, narrow should TT body and neck.

The pair.

7X4mz47.jpg

Last edited:
Good use of the plastic fur pelts Maulfan, looks a lot better than the fluffy one.
Been puzzling also a Jack together, but with me it is the Enterbay head.
Also chosen the blue Medicom trousers.

Anyway, liking your Jack a lot, thinking of changing mine also...again ;-)

Thanks, back when I didn't have the option, I was taken enough with the realism of the faux furs of the DX figures, but given a chance to refine my figure, the scale of the original MMS furs is just far more accurate and makes the figure proportions look better, plus the darker tone blends with the outfit more like the movie where they're just a part of it and not a stand out portion.

That said, being on a larger body and all, the faux fur works pretty well on my Cannibal Jack.

I agree, and maybe also works better with the feathers on his hat. Looks more in harmony.

But I really do not like the visible neck joint, there must be a better body to be found.
Maybe also somewhat too big/great for Depp (I know the canibal head is bigger than the later versions), the scale just does not look right.
You just feel there is more potential.

Oh at some point I will probably look at a body upgrade. I was gifted the Cannibal Jack head, staff and necklace by a friend, and recently sold some things and finally had some spare cash to get the parts I needed to finish off the figure, and in doing so, was able to update my Captain Jack at the same time. The body I happened to have laying around, it's not an ideal choice but it at least let's me get him on a shelf and not rotting away in a box anymore, so that's a first step.

what was the final piece Maulfan?

why did you use the medicom vest, is it because of the collar?

My favourite hat is the one from Enterbay, but the Medicom is the best for the HT head.

Final piece is the DX06 smirk face, to me, it just captures Jack’s persona best of every face HT has ever done.

As for the Medicom vest, I wanted a vest that didn’t have all the gold pattern that the DX figures come with and the only options are Medicom or the MMS Hot Toys and I haven’t seen those parted out. Also, the MMS were made for a larger HT body and I wasn’t sure how they’d look on the slim of the DX, where a Medicom body is close in proportions so I figured it’d fit good and I like it.

As far as hats, for me the Enterbay comes in 3rd, there’s something “saggy” about it that I’m not a fan of compared to the Medicom and Hot Toys MMS hats, which are pretty much identical just different sizes. I don’t think I’ve ever seen the MMS parted out, but back with DX06 I had a spare Medicom hat and used it and loved it, but it sold with the figure, so when I ordered DX15, I hunted another down. I like this one more, I painted the previous one based on the look from On Stranger Tides, but this one is based on my favorite, Curse of the Black Pearl.

My figure is like a Greatest Hits album, he doesn’t match any one movie specifically, he has all my favorite elements from the series.

thank you for your lengthy reply Maulfan ;-)
I use the Enterbay head, but the HT DX06 smirking is also my favourite.
If you just want one Jack, no puzzling and pose a figure right out of the box, it would be the DX06 for me.
Also the rudder is best diorama is Hot Toys catalogue.

Good choice of the Medicom vest, it is all about haven the mix in scale. (I think they call it the 'overal look') and yours is solid.
So best to use for the DX06 head is the Medicom hat?

For fun I have placed a monkey from the Dragon 1/6th Scale WW2 British SAS Soldier on my Jack shoulder.

I find the Medicom to be the best hat shape to match the movie prop, particularly in Curse. The shape was about the same for Pirates 2 and 3, just a little more sagging in the corners. Pirates 4 was like a brand new hat and looked nothing like any other movie, and 5 was much more like the others.

1859E2F5-9E97-41CD-9060-543FE49E8623.jpeg

A3B2A4D6-3D19-42AE-A428-C9371C51C93B.jpeg

ADCAB65E-C813-4D66-80A2-DDAD609A7A5C.jpeg

Medicom RAH Hat

43119361-4D9E-417C-9436-5A0D4ADF3BEA.jpeg

Hot Toys MMS42 Hat

8E469DA8-1C3B-49A8-A51A-79FFDEA2D472.jpeg

9BA9428E-00BE-45D7-A574-A9BE11D8DFA4.jpeg

AF98C811-4716-4834-9F33-128163211B6D.jpeg

DX06 Hat

B0C0D883-9BB3-4D71-8E86-75D892C66342.jpeg

Medicom x Enterbay UU Hat

60CC45CC-09A7-4207-AA1F-4EF2E7D5EF2D.jpeg

DX15 Hat

78E24CF2-5107-45B0-AD0E-100604DBFDA9.jpeg

Loving how Jack looks on the shelf. Gotta figure something for Cannibal Jack, his headdress is too tall for my shelf.

A19D5513-4662-4E20-81CF-801A46788D6B.jpeg

I think the MMS42 is the best hat of the lot as the Medicom is well shaped but just too small esp using a HT DX06 or DX15 head. The DX hats suffer from being too large and oddly shaped, though the use of a different material than plastic is admirable.

Scale wise, yes, MMS 42 hat would be the optimum, while the DX figures are closest to the Medicom figures of the Jack's made, they are still larger, so the Hot Toys hat would be in best scale. Like I said, for me, going Medicom has been the only option, and it's not as though it's a huge discrepancy, it works well enough. As for the DX hats, I applaud HT trying to add value to the set for going with faux materials instead of sculpted, but, like the fur pelts on the belt, going faux leads to an inaccurate look. I think the DX figures should strive for a balance of premium quality and accuracy. They could have done a well sculpted hat with highly detailed paint scheme and it would have been as well received, maybe even better received, doubt anyone would complain that it was sculpted and not pleather.

At this stage, I'm done buying parts except the MMS 42 hat, should opportunity arise, and the Pearl rudder if I see it for sale.

Meantime, I have begun converting the DX06 headpiece from OST to a DMC/AWE version. Unfortunately, the dongle on this one was attached via a slit into the whole sculpt. I’ve filled it in, but unfortunately patch work with paint may be hard, I think I’ll be repainting the whole thing. As nice as the details are from HT, having studied many photos and put together my own Jack costume to wear, there are things that specifically show of the bandana pattern in the movies that isn’t on the HT paint, so I will fix that too.

5BF48014-C774-4BED-B8DD-9B3053E3C009.jpeg

EBAB9E6F-D20F-48D4-B5A9-150EE1E865BC.jpeg

Last edited:
Back