Hot Toys Comic-con Reveals 2020

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What I find most interesting are the figures most wanted by fans (Bespin Han, Bespin Lando, General Veers, Tusken Raiders, Batman Returns Catwoman, Valkrye, Mantis) are nowhere to been seen.
Hot Toys are going down a different direction with their Clone Wars/Spiderman video game/Iron Man onslaught.
Not sure what the demand will be like for these instead of Death Squad Commanders or Romero Jokers. My top 10 most wanted figures are not to be seen at all this year. Perhaps they will show up another year? Congrats to those who do see something this Comic Con.

To be fair I imagine a lot of their audience now will be people that have grown up with Marvel films, with fairy disposable income without much responsibility. Of course those people will buy all the Marvel offerings. How many people realistically going to be buying figures from an old franchise in the 80's/90's that isn't even a quarter as popular.

Unless Howard really likes them as much as Hellboy, they probably won't happen. Batman and Robin will, they've been shown too much not to.

To be fair I imagine a lot of their audience now will be people that have grown up with Marvel films, with fairy disposable income without much responsibility. Of course those people will buy all the Marvel offerings. How many people realistically going to be buying figures from an old franchise in the 80's/90's that isn't even a quarter as popular.

Unless Howard really likes them as much as Hellboy, they probably won't happen. Batman and Robin will, they've been shown too much not to.

Yeah Hellboy is a really good example of how Hot Toys and Howard just doing what they want (which he does pretty much most of the time). I mean it's great looking figure, but come on.

Dude, you're being a hypocrite, you hate the movie i get it, but i bet that even if the Hellboy figure be a shelfwarmer he is gonna sell out eventually.
I want a few 80\90 figures like a new Robocop, any Stallone character, a new t-800 but i dont **** on other people likes, i just have to wait and hope someday it gets announced.
I really want a "rise of skywalker" luke figure(the last jedi head and the force awakens clothes) and i got a little disappointed this year that it wasnt in the hot toys plans

Dude, you're being a hypocrite, you hate the movie i get it, but i bet that even if the Hellboy figure be a shelfwarmer he is gonna sell out eventually.
I want a few 80\90 figures like a new Robocop, any Stallone character, a new t-800 but i dont **** on other people likes, i just have to wait and hope someday it gets announced.
I really want a "rise of skywalker" luke figure(the last jedi head and the force awakens clothes) and i got a little disappointed this year that it wasnt in the hot toys plans

I'm being a hypocrite?

Don't know what you mean. If you mean with Hellboy I have him on order, I don't think he's going to sell that great, eventually he'll sell out of course. But the number produced will be extremely low compared to others. And they definitely won't make profits with the amount of R+D that went into him.

In terms of other characters from 80's and 90's franchises I believe it's mostly the same. Eventually things will sell out, but they'll have been produced in small number and won't make nowhere near the profit compared to others given their R+D. That's why I said it was weird for Hellboy to be made. The film didn't even do well, there's no vocal fanbase of the new film and yet this figure got through purely because of Howard.

I'm not crapping on anyones likes, I'm just saying what's obvious. You think there's an even comparable amount of people in their late 30's, 40's, 50's who would buy a Predator or a Terminator compared to how many people will buy x Spiderman, x Iron Man, anything Marvel who are in their teens, 20's and 30's with disposable income?

What I'm saying is at this point unless Howard really likes something or doesn't mind not really making anything it won't get made in these times. It's not a criticism on other people's likes, I don't understand your defensiveness?

i am not being defensive, i just said that there is no wrong in being a shelf warmer eventually it will sellout. I don't think what Howard likes is what dictates the releases i guess is more of a licensing tipe of thing, It's impossible to think that whats going on with the spiderman ps4 licencing wasn't tried by hot toys before with batman arkham licence. There is a bunch more iconic suit from batman than spiderman.

i am not being defensive, i just said that there is no wrong in being a shelf warmer eventually it will sellout. I don't think what Howard likes is what dictates the releases i guess is more of a licensing tipe of thing, It's impossible to think that whats going on with the spiderman ps4 licencing wasn't tried by hot toys before with batman arkham licence. There is a bunch more iconic suit from batman than spiderman.

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with being a shelf warmer, shelf warmers still sell out. The difference is Hot Toys will probably produce 5:1 more of Iron Man BD 85 than that of Hellboy. And probably 80 percent of those Iron Men will sell first thing. So even though the same amount of R+D probably went into both, Iron Man will have higher quantities produced because it will sell very well and it will make more money quicker as well as overall. Hellboy will have fewer produced, not sell as much as quick and due to the amount made not make that much money for what it's worth pumping development into it. Therefore pieces like Hellboy or the old 80's or 90's films, unless Howard has an extreme want to do so aren't really worth it profit wise.

It's not a judgement on the films. It just makes sense. Younger audiences with more money want stuff they grew up with and growing up with. Those same people grew up with turd Terminator films and Predator films and dgaf about them. They've probably not seen campy Batman films that they also dgaf about. I really don't think there's enough audience for Hot Toys to invest so much money into vocal minority wants, again, unless Howard just wants to make it.

I still think Batman and Robin will release.

But like others have said, if Hot Toys are blocking the license for such lines they should probably give them up.

I'm just wondering if these companies will just announce on their own sites any prototypes or upcoming pieces.

I'm not crapping on anyones likes, I'm just saying what's obvious. You think there's an even comparable amount of people in their late 30's, 40's, 50's who would buy a Predator or a Terminator compared to how many people will buy x Spiderman, x Iron Man, anything Marvel who are in their teens, 20's and 30's with disposable income?
I think their market is probably mostly those in their 30s and 40s actually. I don't think there's tons of teens or 20-year olds with a lot of disposable income for such toys. However, the MCU appealed to all age groups and is fresh on peoples minds so there's a bigger market for the Spider-Man and Iron Man figures than for the nostalgia stuff (although I do believe we're in 90s nostalgia era right now).

I definitely agree that the reason they doubled down on Marvel is profits. And really, it's profits from the Star Wars, Iron Mans, Spider-Mans and Batmans that subsidize less popular characters getting made.

That said, I just can't imagine Whiplash selling more than Pfeiffer Catwoman.

I think their market is probably mostly those in their 30s and 40s actually. I don't think there's tons of teens or 20-year olds with a lot of disposable income for such toys. However, the MCU appealed to all age groups and is fresh on peoples minds so there's a bigger market for the Spider-Man and Iron Man figures than for the nostalgia stuff (although I do believe we're in 90s nostalgia era right now).

I definitely agree that the reason they doubled down on Marvel is profits. And really, it's profits from the Star Wars, Iron Mans, Spider-Mans and Batmans that subsidize less popular characters getting made.

That said, I just can't imagine Whiplash selling more than Pfeiffer Catwoman.

I base this on nothing but conjecture, but I assumed the people who grew up in the action figure renaissance of the 80's were what was driving the explosion in the collectibles market over the last 10-15 years. I just assumed that we're all old enough at 40-ish to have money to blow on $265 action figures.

hey should do exactly what Nintendo does and have their own 'Hot Toys Direct' Make an hour long video presentation. They should get voice overs to translate everything into English. They could interview the sculptors, painters and costume designers about each new product. And then reveal all the new prototypes at the end.

That sounds excellent, but way too transparent for Hot Toys. Out of the box things like customer feedback, polls, crowd funded projects (like Haslab) are all things which they could do but don't.

Their stance is essentially this is what you'll get, take it or leave it.

Back